Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Abandoning hope...Looking into a *cheap* MF rig

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Abandoning hope...Looking into a *cheap* MF rig

    I've plateaued somewhat in my paid work (mostly portraiture and lifestyle, but nothing fast-paced). And with the release of mirrorless MF backs like the GFX and X1D I feel like I might be able to enter the space. But there's so so much I don't know. Basically, I just want a reliable single-point AF body for portraits on a Phase One, like the older 645 bodies...But which back to get, and I like wider shots, so I'd definitely want the Schneider 55mm 2.8 (of course, the older one). I saw a Leaf Aptus 65 back locally for $600 from a friend. Seems like I could grab a $600 P1 DF body and a used 55mm Schneider lens and be in business, no? Of course not - please tell me why

    I regularly shoot Sonys and Nikons in the 50mm focal length...sometimes 35mm, typically ART lenses. Why am I looking at MF? To slow down...color space. A new experience. Some of my work below

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 3.53.08 PM.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	146450
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    kdphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Carmel/Tucson
    Posts
    2,827
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Abandoning hope...Looking into a *cheap* MF rig

    I recommend visiting a dealer. They will have used/CPO digital backs and camera bodies. Try before you buy. You never know what you might like best.

    The easiest transition to medium format digital would be through the Hasselblad X1D and Fuji GFX systems. You've get tons of subjective opinions here. I much rather shoot with a Phase One digital back than the mirrorless options. I've always photographed portraits coming from Mamiya (film) and then onto digital backs, using all the various generations of Mamiya-Phase bodies up to the current XF. The XF is will also make life with a digital back easier.

    Ken

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Sparks, Nevada
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Abandoning hope...Looking into a *cheap* MF rig

    I've been happy with the Pentax 645Z. With all the new mirrorless offerings the prices are coming down and the lenses are reasonably priced also.
    Greg
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    23

    Re: Abandoning hope...Looking into a *cheap* MF rig

    Quote Originally Posted by crashwins View Post
    Basically, I just want a reliable single-point AF body for portraits on a Phase One, like the older 645 bodies...But which back to get, and I like wider shots, so I'd definitely want the Schneider 55mm 2.8 (of course, the older one).
    You might want to add leaf shutter lenses to what you want. Especially if you use flash for portraits, you would prefer leaf shutter lenses for faster flash synch.

    For portraits like your examples, you would like the 150mm f/3.5 LS lens. Funny that you said you like wider shots, but then you showed examples of close ups.


    --Steve.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member f6cvalkyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,728
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Abandoning hope...Looking into a *cheap* MF rig

    Hi !

    I've bought a set here, with a 645 DF body, a P1 30+ back and the 80/2.8 mm P1 lens ...
    As Dante predicted, I've spent some money on extra lenses (but not a fortune, since I bought only 2nd hand Mamiya lenses AF or not) and I am very happy now with what I consider an excellent complete set, more than good enough for the amateur I am ...

    Keep an eye on the Buy/Sell here !

    C U,
    Rafael
    P1 645DF with P30+/E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    kdphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Carmel/Tucson
    Posts
    2,827
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Abandoning hope...Looking into a *cheap* MF rig

    The Phase One P30 MFDB was one of the easiest MFDBs I've ever owned. Great files right out of the box. Good portrait digital back. It was like you could drop the camera, accidentally trip the shutter in doing so, look at the digital back and have captured a great photo.


  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Abandoning hope...Looking into a *cheap* MF rig

    There are a number of older backs, and lower cost ways to get into this. They aren't as cheap as one might hope, but they are affordable. A wee caution: some of these involved less-than-ideal solutions of the entire system, that is, the camera body, lens, and back. For instance, the back might be great, but the body not so hot. That's why its important to try any answer out in person, preferably with a dealer, so you can see if the answer works for you.
    www.gigi-photos.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Abandoning hope...Looking into a *cheap* MF rig

    What do you define as low cost? Especially as you are talking about P1 systems this is a vague term...

    My main thought would be, for paid work, try and find budget for an early IQ back, and an XF body. If this is way out of your price range the Fuji or Hasselblad systems might be a better fit. Yes, you can get even older P1 systems cheaper, but at that point you might actually get better results from top end glass on 35mm.

    The Leaf Aptus 65 is a 28MP 2006 digital back. I am sure it was excellent when new, but pretty much any current sensor should be better in any quantitive metric (“feel” is so hard to measure).
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    4,740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Abandoning hope...Looking into a *cheap* MF rig

    *cheap* or *inexpensive*, that's the question.
    I opted for Fuji 50S and a bunch of GF lenses.
    So, that definitely wasn't *cheap*.
    With best regards, K-H.

  10. #10
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Abandoning hope...Looking into a *cheap* MF rig

    As the largest Phase One dealer in the world we get a lot of older systems in on trade, and remainders of old demo inventory. We list that category of gear here: DT Outlet

    More recent pre-owned, demo, and factory refurbished gear is here: https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/pr...digital-backs/

    Having worked for more than a decade to help match photographers with equipment, I'd suggest the following:
    1) Start with your needs, then look for a deal. Currently you seem to be starting with a deal (a friend's Leaf back) and seeing if it fits your needs.
    2) Don't assume anything is a good fit based on spec and price; if you haven't played with it in your hands you may well miss elements of usability, ergonomics, aesthetic or preference that are not captured by spec and price.
    3) A "great price" on the wrong gear is still a bad deal. Better to buy once and buy the right fit for your needs.
    4) The world of medium format is a niche with far more options than you'd expect, plus a lot of "gotchyas" that aren't obvious to first time users. Working with a dealer that specializes in medium format can *really* help you navigate this space and make more confident decisions and generally have a more enjoyable experience.

    Of course all the above is biased by my job, but it's also informed by my job, so take from it what you will.

    P.S. Beautiful portraits; the woman in the center is especially nuanced
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Neutral Zone
    Posts
    315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Abandoning hope...Looking into a *cheap* MF rig

    I can only comment on equipment I use(d) myself. From what I see in your portraits, you could well enjoy a Leica S2 or successor with either an adapter for Contax lenses or the Leica S120, and maybe later the 70.

  12. #12
    Member Mexecutioner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Abandoning hope...Looking into a *cheap* MF rig

    As long as he has abandoned hope, he is in good shape. That's always a good start
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Melbourne AU
    Posts
    480
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82

    Re: Abandoning hope...Looking into a *cheap* MF rig

    From a consumer's point of view I'd give a +1 to what Doug says here.

    I've received great advice from my dealer over the years. He's often said things that were counter to my initial views...and he's always been right in retrospect. He's helped me make the right decisions over time and I wouldn't have done that without him...including starting right where you are and with a limited budget. I've grown to value this relationship and the advice as sound and appropriate even though his job is to sell me stuff

    There's lots of stuff out there. I use both MFDB on a tech cam and the Fuji system. If I were in your shoes I'd follow Dougs steps below but I'd include the Fuji system in your exploration.

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    As the largest Phase One dealer in the world we get a lot of older systems in on trade, and remainders of old demo inventory. We list that category of gear here: DT Outlet

    More recent pre-owned, demo, and factory refurbished gear is here: https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/pr...digital-backs/

    Having worked for more than a decade to help match photographers with equipment, I'd suggest the following:
    1) Start with your needs, then look for a deal. Currently you seem to be starting with a deal (a friend's Leaf back) and seeing if it fits your needs.
    2) Don't assume anything is a good fit based on spec and price; if you haven't played with it in your hands you may well miss elements of usability, ergonomics, aesthetic or preference that are not captured by spec and price.
    3) A "great price" on the wrong gear is still a bad deal. Better to buy once and buy the right fit for your needs.
    4) The world of medium format is a niche with far more options than you'd expect, plus a lot of "gotchyas" that aren't obvious to first time users. Working with a dealer that specializes in medium format can *really* help you navigate this space and make more confident decisions and generally have a more enjoyable experience.

    Of course all the above is biased by my job, but it's also informed by my job, so take from it what you will.

    P.S. Beautiful portraits; the woman in the center is especially nuanced

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    kdphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Carmel/Tucson
    Posts
    2,827
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Abandoning hope...Looking into a *cheap* MF rig

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    ....
    P.S. Beautiful portraits; the woman in the center is especially nuanced
    Is it me---or with a bit of Photoshop that woman in the center suspiciously resembles Doug with a wig?


  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    West Yorkshire,United Kingdom
    Posts
    264
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Abandoning hope...Looking into a *cheap* MF rig

    Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Is it me---or with a bit of Photoshop that woman in the center suspiciously resembles Doug with a wig?

    Well,not a bad look at all.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •