Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What are your plans during this time of chaos and social distancing?

Post Thanks / Like

What are your plans during this time of chaos and social distancing?

My plans include the following. How about you?

I have decided to do a fine art photography book. 176 pages, hard cover, offset printing UV LED, 80 plates or more. It has been on my to do list for some time. I am just getting quotes from printers. I have designer we use for the layout, work on a forward, find someone to write an article on my work, image selection. My goal is to do this project high end, with the word elegant as the driving thought for the project. I am excited about the project. It will keep me busy.

Stay safe and healthy.
    Last edited by stevenfr; 19th March 2020 at 20:20.
    www.friedmanphoto.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are your plans during this time of chaos and social distancing?

Quote Originally Posted by stevenfr View Post

I have decided to do a fine art photography book. 176 pages, hard cover, offset printing UV LED, 80 plates or more. It has been on my to do list for some time. I am just getting quotes from printers. I have designer we use for the layout, work on a forward, find someone to write an article on my work, image selection. My goal is to do this project high end, with the word elegant as the driving thought for the project. I am excited about the project. It will keep me busy.

I am also signed up to do some webinars for Phase One. Mostly talking about my work, with questions at the end.

And believe it or not printing for orders. I have a big one to do tomorrow.

Stay safe and healthy.
    I am going to rest, enjoy time with my wife, bake, setup an area in the garage to shoot some still life photos, play with my dog. There are also a couple of online courses I am interested in, one in Gothic Cathedrals looks great! I am also going to go through old hard drives and consolidate / throw away old stuff and see what hidden gems I run into.

I may also work on some freelance projects here at home related to my main work. I still have to go to the office tomorrow and shut everything down and grab a couple things.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

also trying to continue to work on my book/exhibition about my great wall of china photography, this has been on ice for too long

unfortunately doom eternal was released yesterday.....priorities
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My boyfriend and I had a trip planned and now that is off the calendar.
    I have a bunch of writing to do, so the photography will cool down for a little bit and the writing will begin.

Wishing everyone the best,
    Darr
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in Belgium there's not a full curfew but mobility is severely restricted. Cars are only to be used for "essential" trips, like to work, to the docter, shopping etc. but no large trips for leisure (and the police is out on the road checking cars). You're still allowed out of the house on foot ot bicycle as long as you're not in groups of more than 2 and keep 1,5 meter distance from each other.

So for me it's a combination of staying inside, viewing photo's, trawling through my catalogs to find stuff I passed over and still going out on my bicycle in the neighbourhood to get fresh air and do some photography. In addition there's enough small jobs around the house and garden that can keep us busy, so no worries to get bored.

I suspect our planned trip to Newfoundland late may/early june will get cancelled, but in the grand scheme of things I consider that only a minor nuicance. There'will be opportunities at a later time to catch up.

I hope everybody stays healthy and follows the instructions to curb the virus, I think we're obliged to do that to protect the elderly and people with health problems for which the virus can be deadly.
    My Pics
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well I work out of the home office / telepresence so its business as usual for me. But, since I can't go out on my down time, I have taken to developing all the rolls and sheets of film, I have neglected to dev or send out for the past 1.5 years

I'm also making sure I get more family time in than I already do as well as catching up on a few shows.

Post Thanks / Like

All upcoming shoots have been cancelled, the 2 filming jobs that were booked (flights/hotels etc) have been postponed indefinitely.
    Iím sat at home on a retouch job that should finish next Wednesday, then nothing.....

iíll spend the time getting fit and learning some new skills like 3D in photoshop and maybe look at trying resolve instead of just knowing final cut.
    My partner is a freelance art director and has no work for lined up (currently self isolating after coming into contact with a CV case)

can probably pay the mortgage and live on baked beans for a year but then who knows?? and that just leaves no money to fund new jobs when work starts to come back. iím not buying any new equipment at all!

lots of friends in the media/film/TV industry are in the same boat, being freelance means no support and no protection
    They are just tools for a job.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    lots of friends in the media/film/TV industry are in the same boat, being freelance means no support and no protection
    That's indeed a lousy situation, and you can extend it to the whole cultural sector. Our youngest is a free lance dancer and choreographer and is fully out of income. Fortunately I have a monthly pension that can feed an extra mouth and pay for her studio rent but not everybody can count on a support system like that. And after the crisis is over the cultural sector is probably not te highest priority for supporting a fast restart.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    That's indeed a lousy situation, and you can extend it to the whole cultural sector. Our youngest is a free lance dancer and choreographer and is fully out of income. Fortunately I have a monthly pension that can feed an extra mouth and pay for her studio rent but not everybody can count on a support system like that. And after the crisis is over the cultural sector is probably not te highest priority for supporting a fast restart.
    unfortunately the arts are last in line, though when this is over people are going to want to go and enjoy theatre/dance/cinema etc to escape for a bit.
    a friend of mine is in the brass section of a leading U.K. orchestra and he is lucky in that he is salaried which is rare in the U.K. he knows lots of people booked to tour that are freelance and the force majeure clause means they now earn nothing.

i donít think any sector will be immune to this except perhaps insolvency and pharmaceuticals!
    They are just tools for a job.

Post Thanks / Like

So far it's business as usual for me. I work for a law firm and write/prosecute patents....the USPTO hasn't shut down so there are still deadlines to meet. I have transitioned to working from home, which has been interesting and not at all seamless, but I'm glad I didn't sell my second computer monitor like I had planned. Have had my busiest month in quite some time, which has frustrated my wife, but good in the long run in case work starts to slow or halt

I'm also in law school part time, and my classes have been cancelled next week, and we are transitioning to online learning for the rest of the semester. We'll see how that plays out, but this whole online/remote thing with work and school saves me about an hour and a half in the car every day. Gives me almost a full business day back per week. Thankful for that time saving which I'm able to spend with my wife and son. l also won't have to worry about being called on without having done the reading haha.

Being at home all day with my wife and toddler has been....interesting. My son has been sick with some respiratory somethingarother that required a doctors visit earlier in the week. It's not "the virus" but he of course managed to pass it to both my wife and I, and we've been sick all week which hasn't been fun. We've still been self-quarantining out of precaution though. He just learned how to climb, which is a very interesting development right before a quarantine. It's been stressful, but we will adapt, and am thankful that I have more time to spend with them. No free time or energy really to spend on anything productive, but I'll enjoy reading about what you all are going.

In a way this whole thing has allowed life to slow down a little which I've been appreciative of. It's been somewhat of a blessing for me as I was about at my breaking point with stress trying to balance work, school, and family. That said, I do hope it fizzles out sooner rather than later and we can get back to regularly scheduled programming.

In other news, Ken shared on FB the other day an article that suggests heat and humidity may slow transmission of the virus.....I guess that bodes well for those of us in the inferno?

Stay safe everyone!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am dusting off my hard drives-see Portraits thread under MF usage

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Working harder than ever, trying to get some extra orders in for my employer (industrial firm) before everybody goes into "Corona Modus". 220 people need their salaries every month.

If it becomes impossible to work, I'll learn DaVinci Resolve. I have an ongoing video project, and want to get away from Premiere Pro. Then there's my 7 year old daughter who stays indoor now and needs/wants some attention. Then there's making food. Then there's some macro photography that I've been postponing for a while. Then...

I would be able to keep myself going for a couple of decades at least

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Plan to do more shooting in Joshua Tree National Park which is only 20 minutes from where I live. Too damn cold right now though

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm retired so I will just continue to do what I usually do modulo compliance with Shelter At Home ordinances and Social Distancing requirements. I have tons of projects to work on around the house, can make new photographs on my walks and exercise cycle rides, do my home workouts, etc. There are no open cafes and restaurants, and there's little need to travel anywhere other than the grocery store or the doctor's office for my regularly scheduled needs.

The fact that I pushed hard to get a replacement bicycle built after mine was stolen has proven to be a boon. Cycling is my favorite cardio workout and a pleasure in and of itself; it also proves to be a near ideal outdoor exercise since you do it by yourself and really don't want to be within six feet of pedestrians or other vehicles anyway. AND the roads are mostly empty. Have to thank my friends at the bike shop, who sourced all the parts and put it together for me very swiftly.

We'll get through this mess if we all work together at it. Endure, stay calm, stay healthy and safe!

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Stay safe and healthy.
    My plan is to accept the "rules" in order to safe lifes. And I try to see the positive side to spend much time with my Family. And my plan is to make sure my Company will survive.
    Other than that I got a table Tennis table to Keep my Kids in Motion. My Goal is to make sure I have a Chance vs my youngest daughter. And of Course I also will also take some more time for Photography.

Stay safe my Friends!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not much different from my usual retirement mode life style. Walks in the neighborhood and local parks (with camera of course). Helping my wife with house chores, cooking and grocery shopping. Catching up on printing, framing, and image processing. I may even tackle the dreaded, closet clean-out of old gear and bags that my wife constantly reminds me to get on with. Managed to sneak in a short Caribbean vacation just before the crisis hit, but had to cancel a longer cruise. Hope that the current lock down is lifted when tempting, warm spring breezes beckon and wanderlust sets in.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Well, at age 83, I guess I am "the elderly", and we are being strongly advised to stay home. The attached image from a GFX 50R was made from our deck overlooking the bay. We are on a barrier island in southern NJ. Since I have a lot of time on my hands, I combined two images made from our deck, the foreground with a 100-200 mm lens at 200mm f11 ISO 400, and sky with a 32-64mm lens at 64mm f8.
    If the weather cooperates I will get out and walk the beach for images (rather deserted this time of year). The bad news is that all our favorite watering holes are closed. My wife and I stocked up on wine, so we will be having "happy hour" at home rather than at the pub with our retired friends. Thanks for looking
    Dave in NJ
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D802 framed.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	316.7 KB 
ID:	148016
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcdeveau View Post
    So far it's business as usual for me. I work for a law firm and write/prosecute patents....the USPTO hasn't shut down so there are still deadlines to meet. I have transitioned to working from home, which has been interesting and not at all seamless, but I'm glad I didn't sell my second computer monitor like I had planned. Have had my busiest month in quite some time, which has frustrated my wife, but good in the long run in case work starts to slow or halt

I'm also in law school part time, and my classes have been cancelled next week, and we are transitioning to online learning for the rest of the semester. We'll see how that plays out, but this whole online/remote thing with work and school saves me about an hour and a half in the car every day. Gives me almost a full business day back per week. Thankful for that time saving which I'm able to spend with my wife and son. l also won't have to worry about being called on without having done the reading haha.

Being at home all day with my wife and toddler has been....interesting. My son has been sick with some respiratory somethingarother that required a doctors visit earlier in the week. It's not "the virus" but he of course managed to pass it to both my wife and I, and we've been sick all week which hasn't been fun. We've still been self-quarantining out of precaution though. He just learned how to climb, which is a very interesting development right before a quarantine. It's been stressful, but we will adapt, and am thankful that I have more time to spend with them. No free time or energy really to spend on anything productive, but I'll enjoy reading about what you all are going.

In a way this whole thing has allowed life to slow down a little which I've been appreciative of. It's been somewhat of a blessing for me as I was about at my breaking point with stress trying to balance work, school, and family. That said, I do hope it fizzles out sooner rather than later and we can get back to regularly scheduled programming.

In other news, Ken shared on FB the other day an article that suggests heat and humidity may slow transmission of the virus.....I guess that bodes well for those of us in the inferno?

Stay safe everyone!
    I know how you feel. I am 83 and retired, but from 1962 to 1974, I worked full time, had a family (3 kids) and earned a BS in mechanical engineering from Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA (8 years at night school), and an MS in Engineering Management, also from Drexel (4 years of night school). Hang in there.....it was worth it. At our ages we have a home mortgage, but we have financed 7 college degrees, and no one has a student loan.
    Dave in NJ
    MODERN PICTORIALS
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I are trying to stay indoors and away from people as much as possible. Itís very hard. I live in a rural gated golfing community so playing golf is a real tension reliever. And itís one of the few pastimes which hasnít been curtailed. I like to walk, but when I have to use a cart the courses out here are restricting all carts to one person and they receive a thorough wipe down between users. While Iím not in Gurtchís age group I am over 70.
    A very real problem for me is that I am scheduled for prostate surgery Wednesday and as of this moment things are a go but who knows what will happen between now and then? They told me it all depends on how many beds are available as I will have to stay two nights. And I donít want to go to the hospital only to fall ill with something more fatal! This entire situation we all find ourselves in is quite surreal.
    All the best to my friends here at getDPI and please stay safe.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    I know how you feel. I am 83 and retired, but from 1962 to 1974, I worked full time, had a family (3 kids) and earned a BS in mechanical engineering from Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA (8 years at night school), and an MS in Engineering Management, also from Drexel (4 years of night school). Hang in there.....it was worth it. At our ages we have a home mortgage, but we have financed 7 college degrees, and no one has a student loan.
    Dave in NJ
    MODERN PICTORIALS
    Thanks for the encouragement, Dave! Iím about 1/4 of the way done with school and it should get easier from here on out. Just gotta hang in there, keep swimming, and make it through this semester, and itíll be worth it in the end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    My wife and I are trying to stay indoors and away from people as much as possible. Itís very hard. I live in a rural gated golfing community so playing golf is a real tension reliever. And itís one of the few pastimes which hasnít been curtailed. I like to walk, but when I have to use a cart the courses out here are restricting all carts to one person and they receive a thorough wipe down between users. While Iím not in Gurtchís age group I am over 70.
    A very real problem for me is that I am scheduled for prostate surgery Wednesday and as of this moment things are a go but who knows what will happen between now and then? They told me it all depends on how many beds are available as I will have to stay two nights. And I donít want to go to the hospital only to fall ill with something more fatal! This entire situation we all find ourselves in is quite surreal.
    All the best to my friends here at getDPI and please stay safe.
    John you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Keep us updated when you can.

Your friend,
    Darr

Post Thanks / Like

Here in the Netherlands we are mostly staying in home. Schools, bars, etc.. are all closed. Contaminations and deaths are rising by the day. Just hoping we can avoid a scenario like in Italie or what is currently developing in Spain.

It is not just the elderly that get hit by this virus. Over half the people in the ICUís are below 50 (having said that, some of the elderly arenít even send to the ICU anymore).

Hoping the virus will slow down spreading when it gets warmer and vaccins and medicins will be available soon.

Everyone stay safe, stay in as much as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

We were ready to head off next week with our camper truck to Russia, the Stans, and Mongolia for six months. Obviously, everything cancelled and we are now stuck in in our house in Brussels. No idea when we can travel again.

Still, we were lucky that the crisis did not start a few month later as we would then be stuck somewhere far away in a country with a poor health system. This would have been much worse. Several travelers are facing that situation now. They cannot drive back and if they fly back they need to find a place to park their vehicles safely.

Of course, we are disappointed that our trip, which we had planned for several months, will not take place for the foreseeable future. But this is what I would call a luxury problem (i.e., no problem). I really feel sorry for the many people, in particular free lancer and small enterprises, who form one day to the next are without income, or those who lose a job or have to fight for the survival of their companies. I hope governments are willing and able to help them quickly and decisively.

I was looking forward to the photo opportunities the trip would have provided. In order to compensate for that, I started posting a daily travel photo on FB, picked randomly from shots taken over the past 40 years.

The lock down in Belgium is not too bad. You can leave the house not only for work, grocery shopping, doctor etc. but also for walks, as long as you are only with members of your own household and do not approach others. I hope that people abide by these rules and that, therefore, the government does not impose stricter rules. Importantly, wine stores in Belgium fall under the category of grocery stores!

May everyone stay healthy! Hopefully, this thing will be over in a few months.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Georg
    My new website (under construction) at Zenfolio

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Germany, life has paused like everywhere else. No nation-wide restrictions in place yet, but they might come in the forthcoming days. When I yesterday went for a walk, I had a short encounter with a guy who was quite ignorant of the situation, but I guess he is part of a minority. The streets are empty.

For me, my employer sent us to home office, so now I have time to get that drum scanner working again, develop some film, and also to get more acquainted with my new IQ1 60. For the purpose, I also got a S-Planar 135mm lens for macro work, but unfortunately, it jammed my camera system yesterday. I could resolve it, but need to send the lens+bellows unit for repair. Pity, because I feel now is the best time for macro work :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Stay safe and healthy.
    Really looking forward to get my hands on this book!
    As a hospital doctor, I guess my plans for the next few weeks/months are pretty busy.....

Stay calm, keep a distance and wash your hands!

All the best,
    danord
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anyone View Post
    Here in Germany, life has paused like everywhere else. No nation-wide restrictions in place yet, but they might come in the forthcoming days. When I yesterday went for a walk, I had a short encounter with a guy who was quite ignorant of the situation, but I guess he is part of a minority. The streets are empty.

For me, my employer sent us to home office, so now I have time to get that drum scanner working again, develop some film, and also to get more acquainted with my new IQ1 60. For the purpose, I also got a S-Planar 135mm lens for macro work, but unfortunately, it jammed my camera system yesterday. I could resolve it, but need to send the lens+bellows unit for repair. Pity, because I feel now is the best time for macro work :-)
    I too have a 135mm jammed on its bellows unit! It has been sitting in the gear closet broken for over a year. With my Linhof currently out on a costly repair, I just have to make due with my 120 CFi. Nice to hear you have a new friend to get acquainted with, the IQ1 60.

Kind regards and wishing you good health,
    Darr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danord View Post
    Really looking forward to get my hands on this book!
    As a hospital doctor, I guess my plans for the next few weeks/months are pretty busy.....

Stay calm, keep a distance and wash your hands!

All the best,
    danord
    You are a saint!

Much appreciation and gratitude,
    Darr

Post Thanks / Like

I have just experienced a complete lockdown in Spain. I have had two flights cancelled truing to get back to Sweden. Third time lucky yesterday as Norwegian Air are sending down rescue flights (empty) to get as many scandinavians as possible back before the shut down airspace as well. Scary stuff. We have military and police on the streets. One person is allowed to go out and get food or medicine, thats it!! You cannot walk your dog, only open the door and circle the closest tree until business is done. People get fined heavliy if police find you 150 metres from your door! It's like a ghosttown and warzone at the same time.
    If I hadn't been able to go with this flight yesterday, I most probably would have been stuck alone for 5-6 weeks.
    But, I am now home in south of Sweden as of late yesterday evening with my family. This feels very very good. However, coming from Spain I have an automatic curfew of two whole weeks in my house. But this is fine, if I stay healthy then I have plenty to do, so no harm there...
    Stay safe everyone, this is going to effect the whole globe!
    Alpa 12 Plus ē TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When you are at sea in a small boat and bad weather is coming there is a sense of dread anticipation. You know it will be bad but it's not bad yet. That is what it feels like here.

My wife has very vulnerable lungs due to radiation damage so she has been working from home for 2 weeks now. We try to avoid going out because of the risk to her from any infection.

I am using the time to do more study of Japanese and to learn ever-more kanji - the "Chinese characters" used in Japan. That is a lifetime of work so it's well suited to this situation!!

We have just finished building and planting a tiny garden in our 4 by 4 metre back yard. Part of that garden is a small shed with a roof garden of hardy, flowering Australian natives. For some reason its rapid growth gives me great joy. I put a small ladder out and go and look at it twice or three times a day...decidedly odd but decidedly satisfying.

My thoughts are with all of the community here. This will be a very difficult and demanding time.

Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    I have just experienced a complete lockdown in Spain. I have had two flights cancelled truing to get back to Sweden. Third time lucky yesterday as Norwegian Air are sending down rescue flights (empty) to get as many scandinavians as possible back before the shut down airspace as well. Scary stuff. We have military and police on the streets. One person is allowed to go out and get food or medicine, thats it!! You cannot walk your dog, only open the door and circle the closest tree until business is done. People get fined heavliy if police find you 150 metres from your door! It's like a ghosttown and warzone at the same time.
    If I hadn't been able to go with this flight yesterday, I most probably would have been stuck alone for 5-6 weeks.
    But, I am now home in south of Sweden as of late yesterday evening with my family. This feels very very good. However, coming from Spain I have an automatic curfew of two whole weeks in my house. But this is fine, if I stay healthy then I have plenty to do, so no harm there...
    Stay safe everyone, this is going to effect the whole globe!
    Wow, I am glad you were able to get out and reunited with your family.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
    Wow, I am glad you were able to get out and reunited with your family.
    Thanks Mexecutioner - An eyeopener to how vulnerable we can be. And it's only a few weeks ago everything was as usual. I think this is a biggy, there will be a before Corona & after Corona.
    Alpa 12 Plus ē TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    Thanks Mexecutioner - An eyeopener to how vulnerable we can be. And it's only a few weeks ago everything was as usual. I think this is a biggy, there will be a before Corona & after Corona.
    I hope so. We tend to forget over time: Spanish flu, SARS, and H1N1. The policy choices that need to make our systems stronger, better health care systems (especially in the US) and economic systems (universal basic income, for example), are going to have to be explored. I don't think relying on luck is the best policy remedy.

But I am glad you were able to return. That must be a relief. I think this is going to a continuing problem. Personally, if restrictions are lifted, the first thing I will not do is go to a restaurant to celebrate...
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i am a photographer and I live in Italy in Milano and here the situation is getting worse every day a lot of people are dying for this reason we are all locked in ours houses and there are very severe restriction which do not allow us to go out.
    For this reason I am locked in my house since ten days.
    I am lucky that my house is also my studio so I have all my equipment (cameras and computers).
    In ten days I went out just one time to take pictures of Milano with a special permission and it was like being in an horror movie.
    After the first day I decided to use this time in a positive way and for this reason I started a big work of digitalisation of my analogic work (more then 20 years).
    I use my Sony A7riv with a 60 micro Nikkor, build a system with an Elinchrome Ranger Quadra as light and I use C1 on my MacBook to check the focus and to control my camera. It is a big work since now I have already don more than 7000 reproduction of my negative film.
    In the same time I use my XF camera with the 35 to try to make a conceptual work by taking the same picture of what I see out of my window to try to describe this time in an artistic way.
    Every morning I make some phisical exercises to keep my body in health.
    All this work helps me to keep my mind a way in such a difficult moment which I am leaving completely alone as my girlfriend leaves in a different city., and it works!

I am sorry I am a bit too long and my English is not perfect!

Lorenzo
    Thanks 10 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LCValla View Post
    i am a photographer and I live in Italy in Milano and here the situation is getting worse every day a lot of people are dying for this reason we are all locked in ours houses and there are very severe restriction which do not allow us to go out.
    I am lucky that my house is also my studio so I have all my equipment (cameras and computers).
    In ten days I went out just one time to take pictures of Milano with a special permission and it was like being in an horror movie.
    After the first day I decided to use this time in a positive way and for this reason I started a big work of digitalisation of my analogic work (more then 20 years).
    I use my Sony A7riv with a 60 micro Nikkor, build a system with an Elinchrome Ranger Quadra as light and I use C1 on my MacBook to check the focus and to control my camera. It is a big work since now I have already don more than 7000 reproduction of my negative film.
    In the same time I use my XF camera with the 35 to try to make a conceptual work by taking the same picture of what I see out of my window to try to describe this time in an artistic way.
    All this work helps me to keep my mind a way in such a difficult moment which I am leaving completely alone as my girlfriend leaves in a different city., and it works!

Lorenzo

Lorenzo,

Thanks for sharing your experience and I am sorry to hear about what everyone in your beautiful country is going through. It is great you are making good use of your time, keeping a fit mind and body and having a couple of projects to keep yourself engaged.

Stay strong!

Rodrigo

Post Thanks / Like

Lorenzo
    Hi Lorenzo,
    I have friends from the same area, I'm in thoughts with you. And now looking forward to seeing a lot of your film images in the "fun with medium format film images" thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Lorenzo
    I am closely following the news in Italy. Over here we seem to be trailing Italyís situation by appr. 2 weeks. I am praying people start following the rules of social distancing to prevent the same situation happening over here.

Best of luck to to you, hopefully the peak will pass soon and recovery will begin!

Post Thanks / Like

Doug,

I was planning to do the same, but happened to notice today that Joshua Tree State Park has closed the access roads. Perhaps it will be possible in a few weeks; I am thinking April now for a weekend trip. I live about 3 hours away from the park.

John

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Plan to do more shooting in Joshua Tree National Park which is only 20 minutes from where I live. Too damn cold right now though

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow they just closed Joshua Tree National Park to vehicles. You can still walk or bike in.
    The Covington Flats road is still open. It's a dirt road off Yucca Trail at La Contenta

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Queenstown NZ, which is normally a tourist town, and which is now largely deserted. We live on a golf course just out of town and rarely head into the township anyway. I work from home by video conference mainly so no drama there. I am going to use this easier to get around time to change my style and practice some long exposure minimal, so watching Michael Kenna and similar YT videos. This is extreme social distancing wandering the mountains and lakes.
    David
    Queenstown, NZ.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

In this new world of The Coronavirus Plague and Shelter at Home and Social Distancing ... and all the other issues of the crisis... it is good to return to the world through our photos and seek the beauty that is our world and each other. It's one of the things I focus on as this crisis is battled, to lift spirits and keep motivation to solve the problemsóand surviveófirst and foremost in our consciousness.

We must not forget why we fight lest the battle be lost before it is engaged.

Polaroid SLR670x by MiNT, PO 600 B&W

Photo made on my Day Six isolation ride, March 22, 2020.

I stand at the corner of the memorial to the Japanese American people who suffered a previous horror from the last century, a dedication to their pain and to their endurance that I do not want to forget.

Be well, my friends.

G
    ó
    In this fateful hour,
    All Heaven with its power,
    The sun with its brightness,
    The snow with its whiteness,
    The fire with all the strength it hath,
    The lightning with its rapid wrath,
    The winds with their swiftness,
    The sea with its deepness,
    The rocks with their steepness,
    The Earth with its starkness,
    All these I place
    Between myself and the powers of darkness.

- A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Madeleine LíEngle

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I'm retired so I will just continue to do what I usually do modulo compliance with Shelter At Home ordinances and Social Distancing requirements. I have tons of projects to work on around the house, can make new photographs on my walks and exercise cycle rides, do my home workouts, etc. There are no open cafes and restaurants, and there's little need to travel anywhere other than the grocery store or the doctor's office for my regularly scheduled needs.

The fact that I pushed hard to get a replacement bicycle built after mine was stolen has proven to be a boon. Cycling is my favorite cardio workout and a pleasure in and of itself; it also proves to be a near ideal outdoor exercise since you do it by yourself and really don't want to be within six feet of pedestrians or other vehicles anyway. AND the roads are mostly empty. Have to thank my friends at the bike shop, who sourced all the parts and put it together for me very swiftly.

We'll get through this mess if we all work together at it. Endure, stay calm, stay healthy and safe!

G

+1

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Some wisdom from Prem Rawat on the Lockdown. These will continue

https://www.premrawat.com

Post Thanks / Like

Catching up with home work.
    Upgrading the security system.
    Building some shelving in the garage.
    Updating my web site.

Thats it, I guess I am not very interesting, certainly not industrious.
    Ciao,
    Giorgio Niro
    www.giorgioniro.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Last evening, I came across this video comparing Spanish Flu and COVID-19 on YouTube. I found it both interesting and useful to think about:

Spanish Flu vs COVID-19 on YouTube

Knowledge is power.
    G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

2 weeks ago I brought my Leica M2 and some lenses to a repair shop for a general CLA, so I thought I'd rest my B&W film project of the anti-tank canal bunkers a few weeks.

However the weather is very nice and we're still allowed to go out on foot or bicycle so I decided to dive in the attic and find my old Olympus OM4T. Last time it got used was on a vacation in 2000. I dusted it off a little, put batteries in it and it seems to work as intended. So this afternoon I'm going to test drive it with a roll of FP4+ and see how it looks. I have plenty zuiko lenses to try out some different things, but I've got to get re-used to the split image and microprism focusing. I hope it will all come back in due time. I'll share some results here after I have filled and developed the first film.
    My Pics
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I'm going to test the fit of the new Hasselblad into my bicycle carry camera bag (the Wotancraft Mini-Rider). Presuming it fits comfortably and safely, I might carry it on today's ride.

It's unfortunate that the 907x Special Edition arrived, finally, right in the middle of the kerfuffle caused by my previous bicycle being stolen, the rush to build the replacement bike, and then the "Shelter at Home" orders for the COVID-19 plague. I haven't yet had the energy and motivation to do any real photography with it. By this point in time with other cameras, I've have already made a couple thousand Testing exposures and have started actually using it for photography.

Such it is. We'll do as seems apropos and as the situation permits.

G

Post Thanks / Like

At our age, we have taken the virus recommendations very seriously, but you really get cabin fever. We have taken to getting in our car and going to outdoor spots that are deserted. We started out going to Viking Village. We saw only one person at the normally busy seaport. All boats were in port. I made photos of course. We then went to the Barnegat Light beach. I think the distance from the street end to the ocean must be a half mile at least. Enormous dunes. Again, empty and I made more photos---will show them after I have processed them. Later that week we went to the mainland and the two Dock Roads, and Seven Bridges Road. Again....deserted and more photos which I have not processed yet. Will post when finished. These shots may not be "portfolio Grade", but they keep an 83 year old busy!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D803 framed.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	451.5 KB 
ID:	148229
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Note the title---sign of the times. We are continuing to go to remote spots and photographing where we will have no contact with strangers, crowds, etc. GFX 50R 32-64mm lens at 42 mm, f11 ISO 400.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D804 Framed.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	644.2 KB 
ID:	148311
    Dave in NJ
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Update. The surgery went off as planned. The recovery is not. I am finally mobile but with a nasty bag attached to my thigh. They released me a day earlier than planned due the unpleasantness. I was not impressed that none of the staff except my doctor were using masks or gloves.
    My wife is still able to go to the grocery store. As these times of peril go on I am concerned about not being able to get fresh vegetables. They are essential to our diet.
    My next surgery is scheduled for April 9 - cataracts. Not sure this is classified as essential. I am almost blind in my right eye now. Makes photography interesting but actually better as my left eye is perfect
    Tomorrow I will climb the stairs to my photography lair and start clearing out some old files and firing up my printers.
    All the best to you all.
    Thanks 11 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    Note the title---sign of the times. We are continuing to go to remote spots and photographing where we will have no contact with strangers, crowds, etc. GFX 50R 32-64mm lens at 42 mm, f11 ISO 400.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D804 Framed.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	644.2 KB 
ID:	148311
    Dave in NJ
    Great idea, Dave!

Nice work, too!
    Dave (GT)