Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,250 of 2506

Thread: Fun Pictures with Nikon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun Pictures with Nikon

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Here's a bit of water too. Different kind, but wet all the same

D80 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.5

I really like this one, nice capture. Great contrasts between the motorcycle and the bike, the helmut and the witch-like rain hat. Their focused expressions in the driving rain. Good job keeping your lens dry.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wayne_s View Post
    I really like this one, nice capture. Great contrasts between the motorcycle and the bike, the helmut and the witch-like rain hat. Their focused expressions in the driving rain. Good job keeping your lens dry.
    Thank you for your kind words.

Dry lens? No, it wasn't dry. When it rains, it rains, and the camera and lens are as wet as I am. Which is one of the reasons why I consider Pentax. They don't have a weather sealed 85mm though. Nobody have that

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your kind words.

Dry lens? No, it wasn't dry. When it rains, it rains, and the camera and lens are as wet as I am. Which is one of the reasons why I consider Pentax. They don't have a weather sealed 85mm though. Nobody have that
    I expect all this rainy weather to stop on time in mid october, so that it is dry for the trip I am planning right now to visit Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia in late october. I am told that the rainy season ends by mid october.

BTW, I always like your B&W conversions, what software do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Oly has a sealed 50mm

Post Thanks / Like

Just went today in a mall, so here's shopping results

D3x, DC 135/2 (the first one is not very sharp though, I'll go there again anyway :

Post Thanks / Like

Took the D3 on vacation with me to St Maarten...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kweide View Post
    Oly has a sealed 50mm
    You are right, and it's a dilemma. I already own the excellent, weather sealed 11-22mm, and if they could get their act together and launched the long awaited, probably weather sealed, 100mm prime, and a smaller weather sealed body (I've tried to like the E-3, but alas...), I would probably prefer Olympus over Pentax. I have been an Olympus user for 35 years, and I've always looked upon Nikon plus Olympus as a nice combination.

ddk

You are right, and it's a dilemma. I already own the excellent, weather sealed 11-22mm, and if they could get their act together and launched the long awaited, probably weather sealed, 100mm prime, and a smaller weather sealed body (I've tried to like the E-3, but alas...), I would probably prefer Olympus over Pentax. I have been an Olympus user for 35 years, and I've always looked upon Nikon plus Olympus as a nice combination.
    I'm not sure if you know this or not Jorgen, but there's also an industrial version of the Zeiss ZF lenses that are sealed, if you can deal with mf they could work for you with the S5. Then again I'm not sure if anything outside of an underwater housing could withstand one of those famous BKK monsoon showers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wayne_s View Post
    I expect all this rainy weather to stop on time in mid october, so that it is dry for the trip I am planning right now to visit Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia in late october. I am told that the rainy season ends by mid october.

BTW, I always like your B&W conversions, what software do you use?
    Hi Wayne,
    I use PSCS3, the standard b&w conversion, but there's always some tweaking during and after the conversion. The yellow and red conversions are important, and usually have to be adjusted individually. I do curves and sharpness after the conversion. Sharpness is very critical to get right with b&w, since the photo consists entirely of lines and contrasts.

I was told that the rainy season didn't really start until August , but this year, we've had a complete season in May as well. It's not over until it's over, and even the first week of November can be a bit wet sometimes. Never trust the weather

But hey, it's only water, and November is the best month here; everything is green, temperatures are reasonable and the tourists haven't arrived yet (most of them anyway)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    I'm not sure if you know this or not Jorgen, but there's also an industrial version of the Zeiss ZF lenses that are sealed, if you can deal with mf they could work for you with the S5. Then again I'm not sure if anything outside of an underwater housing could withstand one of those famous BKK monsoon showers.
    Thank you for that, David. I didn't know that they were sealed. They have a focus lock as well, don't they? I'll pay a visit to their website. I just need to have a drink ready before I read the prices

Nothing, possibly except an E-1, will withstand the heaviest showers of course, but when it rains that much, very few photos would show anything but rain, unless taken with a wide-angle lens. This is one of the reasons why I've kept the Zuiko 11-22. I just need a smaller weather sealed body than the E-3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love the chairs, Alex. Great photo. How would it look in b&w?

ddk

Jorgen, I decided to bring your questions from the other thread here, I didn't want to dilute that one, besides its more relevant to this forum.

Up to 50mm, it look's ok. It's above that I get into trouble, and I do wish the S5 was D80-sized. The difference is considerable, and the Zeiss lenses won't even meter with the D80 (This is the most negative thing I have to say about Nikon, a designed lack of backwards compatibility. All Pentax and Olympus cameras meter with legacy lenses, in addition to adding IS. Heck, Olympus even meters with Nikon and Pentax lenses. Unfortunately, only the E30 and E-3 have viewfinders that are suited for manual focusing.).
    I didn't know that you could use f-mounts with Olys, is it stop down or wide open metering?

I consider buying a 135mm f/2.8 AIS btw., to get a compact telephoto lens for the S5. Any experience with that one? 17-50, 85 and 135mm would be a great "coverall set".
    I'm not familiar with the 135 Ais but I can tell you that imo the 135 DC is one of the most wonderful 35mm portrait lenses ever made, including the current ZFs and the 200/2.0 VR, you wont go wrong if the 135 Ais is of the same cloth. One caveat, I don't really see it as a great general purpose lens if that's what you're after, its still very good but nothing particularly special for me. You don't really see any of its beautiful drawing or what's unique about this lens until you start shooting some intimate portraits, then you want to kiss the designer.

Compact teles, if you're up for mf, both the Voigtlander 90/3.5 and the 180/4 are excellent and don't cost a lot. There's also a little known gem from Zeiss Jena, in the form of a very compact f-mount 70-210 zoom that you can pick up for next to nothing on e-bay. Its a tad slow at f4-5.6, but its the size of an average 35mm with a skinny shade, and it renders like a Zeiss!
    Last edited by ddk; 27th June 2009 at 20:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen, I decided to bring your questions from the other thread here, I didn't want to dilute that one, besides its more relevant to this forum.
    Good idea

I didn't know that you could use f-mounts with Olys, is it stop down or wide open metering?
    It's stop down metering, same as with the Zuikos. I've used the 105 Micro with great success, and even tried the 80-200 once.

I'm not familiar with the 135 Ais but I can tell you that imo the 135 DC is one of the most wonderful 35mm portrait lenses ever made, including the current ZFs and the 200/2.0 VR, you wont go wrong if the 135 Ais is of the same cloth. One caveat, I don't really see it as a great general purpose lens if that's what you're after, its still very good but nothing particularly special for me. You don't really see any of its beautiful drawing or what's unique about this lens until you start shooting some intimate portraits, then you want to kiss the designer.
    I think I'll try the 135/2.8. It's available for prices between 100 and 200 dollars. It's at least better than using the 85mm with a TC, which I sometimes do when I travel nowadays. I would love to try the 135/2.0 AF, but it's expensive, and the one that I tried disappeared right under my nose

Compact teles, if you're up for mf, both the Voigtlander 90/3.5 and the 180/4 are excellent and don't cost a lot. There's also a little known gem from Zeiss Jena, in the form of a very compact f-mount 70-210 zoom that you can pick up for next to nothing on e-bay. Its a tad slow at f4-5.6, but its the size of an average 35mm with a skinny shade, and it renders like a Zeiss!
    Unfortunately, finding the Voigtländers here would be a result of pure luck. The old lenses were never distributed officially in Thailand, and the current distributor only takes in the 20, 40 and 58 in addition to the M-mount lenses. A trip to Hong Kong would probably do it though.

There's still a Nikkor 105/1.8 AIS in the pipeline for me somewhere, but it can take anything from a couple of weeks to forever to get it here

With all these balls in the air, it looks like I'm "stuck" with Fuji and Nikon for a while. Not the worst situation to be in, so I'll survive
    Have you tried a Katzeye screen on the S5? I'm looking for ways of making focusing simpler, and a split screen is what I used for 35 years... wow, I'm getting old

ddk

Good idea
    Have you tried a Katzeye screen on the S5? I'm looking for ways of making focusing simpler, and a split screen is what I used for 35 years... wow, I'm getting old
    I had a Katzeye screen in my S3, but didn't need one for the S5, I might just get one of their matt screens which is supposed to have higher contrast than the stock one, don't like using split screens, I always used a microprism in the past. Katzeye is a very good company.

What I found really helps me with mf was adapting the DK-17m eyepiece to all my cameras, even when using a split screen. You're going to need a DK-22 and an adapter kit to mount it on the S5. The kits can be ordered as a complete set or just the adapter on-line here;

http://www.ircube.jp/main/product/mea/eng.html

If you get it, I recommend getting the dk-19 eyecup too, specially for bkk, just make sure to super glue it to the eyepiece or you're going to lose it with first use. Also tighten down the adapter parts well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...yecup_for.html
    Last edited by ddk; 28th June 2009 at 02:01.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had a Katzeye screen in my S3, but didn't need one for the S5, I might just get one of their matt screens which is supposed to have higher contrast than the stock one, don't like using split screens, I always used a microprism in the past. Katzeye is a very good company.

What I found really helps me with mf was adapting the DK-17m eyepiece to all my cameras, even when using a split screen. You're going to need a DK-22 and an adapter kit to mount it on the S5. The kits can be ordered as a complete set or just the adapter on-line here;

http://www.ircube.jp/main/product/mea/eng.html

If you get it, I recommend getting the dk-19 eyecup too, specially for bkk, just make sure to super glue it to the eyepiece or you're going to lose it with first use. Also tighten down the adapter parts well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...yecup_for.html
    Am I right in assuming that the DK-19 will be instead of the DK-17m?

Good news: I'm finally going to check out the 105mm f/1.8 tomorrow or Tuesday That make the focusing aids even more relevant.

ddk

Am I right in assuming that the DK-19 will be instead of the DK-17m?
    No, the DK-19 is only a rubber eye cup that gets attached to the DK-17m.
    DK17-m is the actual magnifying glass. You could do without the eyecup but but I like using one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....y=0&Go=submit

Good news: I'm finally going to check out the 105mm f/1.8 tomorrow or Tuesday That make the focusing aids even more relevant.
    That's great.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

From a local triathlon yesterday. This kid is only 15, but finished 4th overall against a very tough field.

D300; 200-400/f4, wide open, hand held:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile Re: Fun Pictures with Nikon

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    From a local triathlon yesterday. This kid is only 15, but finished 4th overall against a very tough field.

Hello Lloyd,
    It is a beautiful image. The runner is in sharp focus and the background/foreground bokeh is very nice. Best regards, Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like

Hey - Trondheim is my old home town - looking forward to your version!
    leif e
    F2, FM2, D700, 3,5/20 UD, 2/35, 3,5/55, CV 2,5/75 (all ai or ai´d), 1,8/85 af-d,
    2,8/60 af-d

Post Thanks / Like

Love the chairs, Alex. Great photo. How would it look in b&w?
    Thanks, Jorgen. I'll try to make it B&W but that's just unknown territory for me now. I guess I'm not ready for real black and white yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I was close to this very old monastery and I couldn't resist to take some photos there. And this is very short photoreport:

First I met this old MG (maybe it's a collector's car!):

All taken with D3x, DC 135/2 (I should've taken my 24-70 too!).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by leif e View Post
    Hey - Trondheim is my old home town - looking forward to your version!
    leif e
    Hello leif e,
    Trondheim is a city of beauty, grace, and rich history. I love Trondheim/Norway. Best regards, Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice shots Leica77, I particularly like the sunset and shot of the door. It certainly does have a scandinavian character.

Lovely work with the 135/2 DC Alex! I just got mine this week. Here are a few shots with it that I took on a trip down South. I have a lot more, just not processed yet. It is a really fantastic lens. I love the look it has and it balances really well on the D3.

My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post

Very nice shot, Lloyd

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello Stuart,
    Great images! After looking at the clarity of your wonderful images, my next purchase will be a Nikon 135/2 DC lens. Thanks for your kind feedback. Best regards, Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unfortunately, I had to let an excellent copy of the 135/2 pass, but here's one with the 50/1.8.

S5 with Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 @ f/2.0 and 1/18s handheld

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello Jorgen,
    Your image is superb! The Nikon 50mm f1.8 is reputed to be one of the sharpest lenses made by Nikon. Your beautiful image certainly supports the reputation. Best regards, Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leica 77 View Post
    Hello Jorgen,
    Your image is superb! The Nikon 50mm f1.8 is reputed to be one of the sharpest lenses made by Nikon. Your beautiful image certainly supports the reputation. Best regards, Leica 77
    Thanks.
    I really have a strong love/hate relationship with this lens. Yes, it sometimes produces excellent results, but precise manual focusing is more or less impossible, and the cheap plastic feeling is almost beyond belief. There's a more solid feel to anything that comes free in cereal boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Mangrove forest on my province
    Nikon D50 + Fisheye 10.5mm

Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Nice shots Leica77, I particularly like the sunset and shot of the door. It certainly does have a scandinavian character.

Lovely work with the 135/2 DC Alex! I just got mine this week. Here are a few shots with it that I took on a trip down South. I have a lot more, just not processed yet. It is a really fantastic lens. I love the look it has and it balances really well on the D3.
    YIKES !!!! Stuart, I really need to reassess my wardrobe! I was planning on a sun hat not a wool ski cap!

Nice shots!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post

Thanks, Stuart. I especially like the first and third one! So "airy"!

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, I had to let an excellent copy of the 135/2 pass, but here's one with the 50/1.8.

S5 with Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 @ f/2.0 and 1/18s handheld
    Jorgen, that's a nice portrait! Did you add some noise to this image?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Alex.
    No, I didn't add noise. It was almost a stop underexposed at ISO800 with the S5, so the noise is all natural
    Actually, I don't mind a little bit noise in portraits, at least as long as it doesn't affect microcontrast. To me, grain or noise tend to enhance the character of a person's face.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fun Picture with Nikon. AF Nikkor 18mm. Thanks for looking. Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leica 77 View Post
    Fun Picture with Nikon. AF Nikkor 18mm. Thanks for looking. Leica 77
    Great pic! Road to ... everyone might imagine their own destination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello AlexLF,
    Many thanks for your kind and positive feedback. Best regards, Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fun Picture with Nikon D300 + AF Nikkor 18-200mm VR Lens. Thanks for looking. Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rush-hour at the race track.

S5 with Reflex Nikkor 500mm f/8

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLF View Post
    Great pic! Road to ... everyone might imagine their own destination.
    Except it's a wing...
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Except it's a wing...
    Thanks, I've noticed that. But imagination has prevailed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 500mm Reflex is a fun lens in good weather, and the low contrast is perfect under the sharp mid-day sun. I should it more. There's surprisingly little DOF though.

S5 with Nikkor 500mm f/8 Reflex

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen, please, no more such pics. Those beauties took away my breath.....now i understand why your work is such terrible hard...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello leif e et. al.

Fun Pictures with Nikon -- photographed in Trondheim, Norway. Thanks for looking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A slightly different kind of fun. In this case, I put the clouds and sky in behind the Mission where none existed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    A slightly different kind of fun. In this case, I put the clouds and sky in behind the Mission where none existed.
    Hello TRSmith,
    Beautiful Image! I also enjoy taking photos of classic stone structures. Your B/W image gives a sense of historical depths to it. Best regards, Leica 77

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fun Pictures with Nikon -- Photographed in Oslo, Norway. Thanks for looking. Leica 77

ddk

Jorgen, I'm sure that you've heard the saying; too much of a good thing... it looks like you're having much too much fun these days!

What's fascinating to me is how differently you and Mitch Alland see the same city and people. You two couldn't be more opposite even if you tried. I like both your styles but when looking at his imaged I question myself about staying there for nearly 14 years until I look at your vision and I'm reminded of some of the best and most fun times of my life, thank you!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen, I'm sure that you've heard the saying; too much of a good thing... it looks like you're having much too much fun these days!

What's fascinating to me is how differently you and Mitch Alland see the same city and people. You two couldn't be more opposite even if you tried. I like both your styles but when looking at his imaged I question myself about staying there for nearly 14 years until I look at your vision and I'm reminded of some of the best and most fun times of my life, thank you!
    Wow David.....I never really even thought about the two of them being in the same city. But you are soooo right! Feels like glass half empty/glass half full. I always look forward to Jorgens shots (and his color is always so consistently spot on) and while I think Mitch has some good work in general with his processing it always feels so bleak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kweide View Post
    Jorgen, please, no more such pics. Those beauties took away my breath.....now i understand why your work is such terrible hard...
    Klaus, I cannot hear you so well. You need to speak up Do you want to borrow a microphone?

S5 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David and Terry,
    I also find the contrast intriguing, and I miss Mitch' work here. Differences like that is probably mostly due to the fact that we see differently. Although I see lots of dark sides as well, and sometimes involve myself far beyond my abilities, my camera seems to be looking for the bright spots, something to base a life upon.

What impresses me most, not only here in Southeast Asia, but anywhere in the world, are people who are happy with what they have. I come from a nation that used to have very little, a people who travelled to find more, as vikings, as merchant sailors and as tourists. Then, they found oil in the North Sea, and now Norwegians have anything money can buy. We did lose one thing though, on that way to riches: Ourselves. Not completely of course, but too much...

Edit: Oh, and btw. David, most of the photos that I post now are many months old. Too much boring, and sometimes frustrating, work lately. I need to get out more. Correction: I need to get out

I have a few plans though