The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Whither Nikon...? (or all camera manufacturer's)

Swissblad

I just read Thom Hogan's post:

Whither Nikon? | byThom | Thom Hogan

And IMHO it makes for interesting reading... especially points like this:

At this point I'll be surprised if the D5 in August 2015 has a mirror. I'll take a wild stab at this right now even though we're still two years out: 24mp, mirrorless, augmented PD on sensor, 3m+ dot EVF, 30 fps silent electronic shutter, 12 fps+ mechanical shutter. Anything less than that will seem like a let down.

In view of these facts:

Who's still buying cameras, and why?

How do we feel about the current situation.

Oh, and this post isn't restricted to Nikon - it deals with pretty much everybody else especially MFD.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
People have finally understood that they don't need to buy a new camera every time there's a new model. Good. I used my OM-1 for 30 years. It was not my only camera, but it was the one I was returning to always. When I upgraded, it was because it was worn out, and it was replaced by a used OM-3. I rarely felt a need to upgrade.

Then came digital with all it's upgrades and improvements. Much of them are distractions. For my work, digital is useful. For my hobby, I'm back to 50% film nowadays. Photos with grain. I like grain. Grain shows that it's a photo, not some 2-dimentional imitation of reality.

Most people will stop buying cameras. They're not needed anymore. Everybody and his aunt have one in their phones anyway. They offer better image quality than a Kodak Instamatic, so there's nothing to complain about really. Except for camera manufacturers and all the Chinese working there.

V

Vivek

In view of these facts:

Who's still buying cameras, and why?

How do we feel about the current situation.

Oh, and this post isn't restricted to Nikon - it deals with pretty much everybody else especially MFD.
I saw that. Interesting. Not unrelated, see: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sunset-bar/48514-photography-dead-long-live-photography.html

and

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sunset-bar/48490-multiple-bodies.html

Too many cameras and very little photography. The number unused cameras from yesteryears I have make me feel very sad.