Site Sponsors

Thread: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM vs Nikon 58mm 1.4? Which opne to get?

Post Thanks / Like

Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM vs Nikon 58mm 1.4? Which opne to get?

I am thinking about buying a new 50mm lens for my wedding photography lens collection.

Which one do you think it is better? The sigma or the Nikon? Sigma is cheaper and has amazing reviews....!!! It is hard to pay more for the Nikon....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM vs Nikon 58mm 1.4? Which opne to get?

Here is the conundrum... The new Sigma 50 ART lens is a winner for a fast 50, period. But the Nikkor is a 58... Those extra 8mm may not sound like much, but they make a world of difference if you're a portrait shooter instead of a street shooter; the difference between ever so slightly slightly bulbous noses and flatter pert noses on a typical head-shot.

Me, I own and prefer the Sigma Art. Bob OTOH has the Nikkor. In a perfect world where I had an assistant carrying everything for me, I'd easily make a case for owning both. Bob may already own both
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like

For me this would be an easy choice ….the Nikon 58/1.4 . Weddings photographs are almost all about people and capturing the moment (mood) . I don t require or even desire the full sharpness that can be provided by essentially any of the alternatives . Nor am I seeking deep color saturation .

What I need is tone separation especially in the highlights , excellent resolution in the center and a pleasing bokeh . I also need a dead on calibration of the lens and an AF thats both accurate and reliable . This is what the Nikkor was designed for and it excels at high key portraiture .

In fact in a few hours I will be using my Df and the 58/1.4 at my nieces wedding .

Post Thanks / Like

"AF thats both accurate and reliable . This is what the Nikkor was designed for and it excels at high key portraiture . "

Nikon Can't beat the Sigma's dock station for calibration !

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the opportunity to use both quite extensively in a number of specific applications. As stated by others, Ive found the 58mm lens very desirable for wedding work. I also found it superior for nighttime landacapes where coma is kept to a minimum and point light sources are rendered well.

For general applications where across the board resolution is of primary importance, the Sigma gets gets my nod for lens of choice.

David (D&A)