The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Have you guys tried this? The D7500?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There's this Photo Exhibition Thing going on in Bangkok this week. I went there to see the Panasonic G9, but it wasn't there, so thought I could have a look at the D850 instead. That was nice and impressive and all, but then there was this tiny, little thing next to it, a real Nikon toy I thought.

So I tried it, and WOW...

Very lightweight, small, but not too small, great viewfinder, flip LCD, shoots 8fps to a bottomless buffer, did I say great viewfinder? The body is shallower than most DSLRs, so the grip feels better in my hand. It lacks most of the cool features of the D500 of course, not to speak about the D860, but it would be tempting as a companion to my D610, and it shares sensor with the D500.

Oh well.... time will show :)

jduncan

There's this Photo Exhibition Thing going on in Bangkok this week. I went there to see the Panasonic G9, but it wasn't there, so thought I could have a look at the D850 instead. That was nice and impressive and all, but then there was this tiny, little thing next to it, a real Nikon toy I thought.

So I tried it, and WOW...

Very lightweight, small, but not too small, great viewfinder, flip LCD, shoots 8fps to a bottomless buffer, did I say great viewfinder? The body is shallower than most DSLRs, so the grip feels better in my hand. It lacks most of the cool features of the D500 of course, not to speak about the D860, but it would be tempting as a companion to my D610, and it shares sensor with the D500.

Oh well.... time will show :)
It's good but the But the Nikon D7200 is better in many regards: More resolution, better image quality, dual slots etc. The Nikon D7500 is what hppens when your sensor main provider is you competitor, tells you that they will keep the best sensor technology close to thier heard and then goes and buys your secondary sensor provider (Toshiba) and you do not rise the issue witht he regulators all over the world.
But yes, it's a nice little camera.

Best regards,

----
Edited to correct the Nikon D7500 not the D500, evident from context but better to be right.

Last edited:

tcdeveau

There's a lot to like the D7x00 series. I had a D7000 or D7100 (can't remember which) a couple years ago that I bought as a backup to my D300 at the time, and the D300 became the backup once I started using it. As already mentioned, it seemed the D7500 in a few ways was a step back from the D7200 that it replaced.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's good but the But the Nikon D7200 is better in many regards: More resolution, better image quality, dual slots etc. The Nikon D7500 is what hppens when your sensor main provider is you competitor, tells you that they will keep the best sensor technology close to thier heard and then goes and buys your secondary sensor provider (Toshiba) and you do not rise the issue witht he regulators all over the world.
But yes, it's a nice little camera.

Best regards,

----
Edited to correct the Nikon D7500 not the D500, evident from context but better to be right.
That is what it looks like when you read the spec sheet. However:

- Difference in resolution is so little that it's hardly relevant.
- Image quality is similar, but at high ISO, the D7500 maintains details much better.
- Just one SD slot, fair enough, but I've taken hundreds of thousands of photos with digital cameras the last 13 years and never lost a single frame due to card failure.
- No vertical grip, actually the biggest disadvantage in my view.

What you get is:
- Flip LCD, a big advantage.
- 4K video and much higher video quality in general.
- A thinner body which gives a deeper/better grip even if the camera is slightly shallower in total.
- A very fast sensor, enabling 8fps and a deep buffer with space for 50 RAW images when using a fast card.
- Much better AF, including group area AF.
- Auto AF fine tune
- Larger viewfinder (0.94 vs. 0.91x)
- More advanced metering
- Touch screen LCD
- Bluetooth
- Better sealing

But again, these are just paper specs, although I must say that most of the improvements are very "photographer centered", particularly the viewfinder, LCD and better handling. For action shooters, the fast frame rate and deeper buffer will be the most important, and not having to worry about the buffer running full is an advantage, not only when shooting sports.

What really got to me though was the way it handled. It's all rather subtle compared to the D7200, but while I always felt that the earlier D7xxx bodies were "nice, but not much more", this one was like wearing a glove. Good stuff from Nikon!

Here they are, D7500 to the left:

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

My only (for me serious) gripe with the D7500 DX camera is the lack of AI-coupling, which means no support for non-CPU lenses (no metering information).

I have an amount of old (and also some new third party) AI and AI-S lenses, so for me an AI indexing pin is mandatory.

But apart from that, a nice camera indeed.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

My only (for me serious) gripe with the D7500 DX camera is the lack of AI-coupling, which means no support for non-CPU lenses (no metering information).

I have an amount of old (and also some new third party) AI and AI-S lenses, so for me an AI indexing pin is mandatory.

But apart from that, a nice camera indeed.
I agree that it is a disadvantage, but with old/manual lenses, I prefer an FX body anyway. For "run and gun" on the other hand, this camera looks perfect.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I agree that it is a disadvantage, but with old/manual lenses, I prefer an FX body anyway. For "run and gun" on the other hand, this camera looks perfect.
Just checked the prices and while the D7500 goes for €1399.- the D500 can be yours for €1869.- at Amazon.de

This is "only" €470.- more but you would get the absolute top WRT AF (full DX coverage) as well as the much better OVF. And there are also other cheaper offers where the D500 is around €1300.- versus the D7500 for €900.- again "only" around €400 difference.

So I am not sure what I would do ....

PS: BTW there is currently also a €100.- cashback for the camera bodies from Nikon Europe .... makes it another €100. cheaper.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Just checked the prices and while the D7500 goes for €1399.- the D500 can be yours for €1869.- at Amazon.de

This is "only" €470.- more but you would get the absolute top WRT AF (full DX coverage) as well as the much better OVF. And there are also other cheaper offers where the D500 is around €1300.- versus the D7500 for €900.- again "only" around €400 difference.

So I am not sure what I would do ....

PS: BTW there is currently also a €100.- cashback for the camera bodies from Nikon Europe .... makes it another €100. cheaper.
It depends on the use. If I needed a camera for sports photography, I would probably choose the D500. I see the D7500 as a very competent take everywhere travel camera. It's one of Nikon's smallest bodies, but as opposed to the D5600, it has a good viewfinder and a decent battery. With this camera, I would go on a one week journey with two batteries and no charger. The D500 is around a centimetre more in each direction. That adds up to much more space in the bag.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It depends on the use. If I needed a camera for sports photography, I would probably choose the D500. I see the D7500 as a very competent take everywhere travel camera. It's one of Nikon's smallest bodies, but as opposed to the D5600, it has a good viewfinder and a decent battery. With this camera, I would go on a one week journey with two batteries and no charger. The D500 is around a centimetre more in each direction. That adds up to much more space in the bag.
I see, did not notice that there is so much size difference till now.

In this case you are right, it seems to be the perfect travel and take anywhere camera :clap:

Hard to resist at the current prices - should e possible to get it for €879.- with the current rebate ...

https://www.eglobalcentral.at/nikon...OFJgtm2CBGFRsyZ04O6gu8L_l1rnjy6RoCB_QQAvD_BwE

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The strongest competitor for me would be the Panasonic G9, but they are so different that I won't rule out buying both eventually. I already have the lenses I want for m4/3, and will mostly shoot primes with Nikon. 21/35/85/135 is the plan, unless I can find money for the 58/1.4.

Time will show :)

Why do you rush? Why not wait until Panasonic releases a GX9 or GX90/95? Or what Nikon will release in 2018 for mirrorless?

There are no modern DX Nikkor lenses out there. The FX lenses are unnecessary big. You can then also just buy another D610 body.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Why do you rush? Why not wait until Panasonic releases a GX9 or GX90/95? Or what Nikon will release in 2018 for mirrorless?

There are no modern DX Nikkor lenses out there. The FX lenses are unnecessary big. You can then also just buy another D610 body.
Rush? Me? No, no, no, no, no no.... yes :ROTFL:

It's in my blood I suppose :)

I have an important assigment coming up in February, and neither the GX8 nor the D610 are particularly well suited. As things look now, I'll probably use them anyway, but either the G9 or a D500 would have been better alternatives. However, if I can't get the gear that I have to work for me, I'm the one to blame, not the cameras.