The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor Z Mount Lenses

Thorkil

You are correct Thorkil.

And I sincerely wish you ‘ smiles ‘ for a very very long time.

Best.
Thanks Rayyan, I certainly do hope it will be more than the commen 14 days of happiness, or it will be sustained, I really hope. I will evaluate for you. :)
Kind regards
Thorkil

jdphoto

I think Nikon is clearly going after the success of the Sigma Art series in its aesthetic and hopefully match the performance of the Sigma A 85mm 1.4. The four claws on the lens mount are welcomed too. Perhaps the Leica Cl/TL mount should take note.

rayyan

It is evaluations from users, such as yourself, that interest me.

Best.

Thanks Rayyan, I certainly do hope it will be more than the commen 14 days of happiness, or it will be sustained, I really hope. I will evaluate for you. :)
Kind regards
Thorkil

Thorkil

It is evaluations from users, such as yourself, that interest me.

Best.
Yes, yes, I know, Rayyan, but you shall be open minded, and then in a moment or two you will be able to stand with photographic(machine-)gold in your hand, and a mental relief I predict..
:eek:
thorkil

jduncan

Nikon has established an excellent (IMHO) rollout strategy for the new Z lenses ....20/35/50/85 ..1.8 primes within a year will completely cover my requirements. Longer telephotos and that 70-200/2.8 zoom will stick with the DSLR bodies. I will buy the 0.95 /50 NOCT but then I am not a rationale buyer.

Hi,

They talked and talked about fast primes, and they don't even have a 1.4 85mm lens. I don't see anything "excellent" about the line. Plus the 50mm f1.8 costs $600. And the noct is fast but manual. The Zhongyi Mitakon costs $729, let see how much the Nikon will cost. If we want Nikon to survive we need to stop being overly generous with Nikon.
The engineers that designed the Z system don't even understand the critiques of the initial Sony system that they set out to emulate. And believe they can sale a 3-year-old system platform (with modern sensors, the images look supreme) at current system price.

For many Nikon shooters, it's a great machine: it works with one's lenses, it does video tracking, and it's less expensive than moving to Nikon or Canon. So I am not saying it's a bad buy. It's just not a modern system and Nikon needs to understand that.

Best regards,

D Fuller

Hi,

They talked and talked about fast primes, and they don't even have a 1.4 85mm lens. I don't see anything "excellent" about the line. Plus the 50mm f1.8 costs $600. And the noct is fast but manual. The Zhongyi Mitakon costs $729, let see how much the Nikon will cost. If we want Nikon to survive we need to stop being overly generous with Nikon.
The engineers that designed the Z system don't even understand the critiques of the initial Sony system that they set out to emulate. And believe they can sale a 3-year-old system platform (with modern sensors, the images look supreme) at current system price.

For many Nikon shooters, it's a great machine: it works with one's lenses, it does video tracking, and it's less expensive than moving to Nikon or Canon. So I am not saying it's a bad buy. It's just not a modern system and Nikon needs to understand that.

Best regards,
I’m not sure I get your point regarding the lenses. Zeiss 50mm lenses for Sony—the Loxia and the Touit, are $949 and $999 respectively, and they’re both slower than 1.8. I own the Mitacon, and it’s a fair value at its price, but not a stellar lens. Fast, yes, but that’s it’s only interesting feature. And it’s manual too.

Duff photographer

Apologies if this has been posted in another thread but there are some high res JPEGs and a few downloadable RAW files from DPReview. Lenses covered are the 24-70mm and the 35mm...

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/4819511289/nikon-z7-samples-gallery/6267874920

With regard to the zoom, I'm not seeing anything above and beyond any F lens, but not worse either - a bit of variation in quality as would be expected (cos' of photographer, zoom setting). What I can see is on a par with images from my, no longer with me, 24-70mm f2.8 F lens. I'm not sure if I can say the new Z lens is better though. It might be.

The 35mm looks really good, possibly better than the F version but need to see a few more samples. For the price point I think Nikon was telling the truth about these lenses based on what's in the DPReview sample gallery.

However, I don't think Zeiss or Leica have anything to worry about. The lenses still have that 'Nikon' look and don't seem to have the out-and-out resolution of the Zeiss/Leica lenses.

Proviso: My thoughts are based on the downloadable JPEGs (I couldn't get the RAW files to open), most of which appear to be highest resolution/lowest compression.

Duff

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I’m not sure I get your point regarding the lenses. Zeiss 50mm lenses for Sony—the Loxia and the Touit, are $949 and $999 respectively, and they’re both slower than 1.8. I own the Mitacon, and it’s a fair value at its price, but not a stellar lens. Fast, yes, but that’s it’s only interesting feature. And it’s manual too.
Touit are APS-C lenses and the full frame Sony Zeiss lens is a 55/1.8 that goes for $1k. The Loxia 50 is a redesigned version based on the ZM f/2 lens which is to say it’s an excellent lens for the money.

I have no issue with Nikon lens prices if they live up to the hype/MTF charts. The pricing for the lenses this far seems to be fair.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Touit are APS-C lenses and the full frame Sony Zeiss lens is a 55/1.8 that goes for $1k. The Loxia 50 is a redesigned version based on the ZM f/2 lens which is to say it’s an excellent lens for the money.

I have no issue with Nikon lens prices if they live up to the hype/MTF charts. The pricing for the lenses this far seems to be fair.
I am more than sure that the Z lenses will live up to the hype!

V

Vivek

I have major issues with the blue tagged lenses made by cosina.

I am positive that the Nikon Z lenses are going to be stellar and genuine.

iiiNelson

I have major issues with the blue tagged lenses made by cosina.

I am positive that the Nikon Z lenses are going to be stellar and genuine.
I know you do but I sold my Leica 50/2 in favor of the Zeiss ZM50/2 that I found to be better for me. I did eventually buy a Leica 50/1.4 but I kept the Zeiss ZM 50/2 and continued to use it as much of not more. A good lens is a good lens IMO no matter the label.

V

Vivek

Some like to pay more for less. The “Zeiss” Cosina lenses do not offer distance info unlike the Cosina lenses like the nokton 40/1.2. You do not get 5axis stabilzation from the Loxiae.

iiiNelson

Some like to pay more for less. The “Zeiss” Cosina lenses do not offer distance info unlike the Cosina lenses like the nokton 40/1.2. You do not get 5axis stabilzation from the Loxiae.
Are you sure? I thought they had the contacts on the lenses like the Voigtlander lenses. For sure the Batis lenses have them but I believe the Locxia lenses do as well.

jlancasterd

Does anyone know what circle of sharpness is built into the new Z lenses? It occurs to me that the new larger mount on the Z6 and Z7 might be the first step towards creating a Nikon medium-format digital camera system similar to Fuji's recent offerings. There may be thoughts that future Z bodies might be fitted with sensors larger than the 24x36 units in the current Z cameras.

Duff photographer

Does anyone know what circle of sharpness is built into the new Z lenses? It occurs to me that the new larger mount on the Z6 and Z7 might be the first step towards creating a Nikon medium-format digital camera system similar to Fuji's recent offerings. There may be thoughts that future Z bodies might be fitted with sensors larger than the 24x36 units in the current Z cameras.
I don't know about the image circle but a look at the camera design will tell you if a larger chip can be fitted.

A mirrorless camera has the lens closer to the chip (shorter backflange). Therefore the sensor requires a lens of sufficient diameter to project the image onto the sensor without increasing the angle of the light hitting those pixel 'bins' towards the edge of the sensor (which would otherwise result in light fall-off, colour nastiness, and other nasties). Therefore, for a mirrorless lens to maintain the same angle of light from lens to sensor as on a DSLR lens (imagine a cone of light being projected) it has to be wider which means a wider lens mount.

The mirrorless 'super-35mm' Fuji GFX has a mount diameter of 65mm to deal with this so the Nikon Z at 55mm is well short. Therefore the Nikon Z will not be able to take a larger chip.

...and yes, the 'super-35mm' Leica S has a mount of diameter of 53mm (smaller than the Z). However, the Leica is a reflex camera and the backflange is therefore longer so the light path from lens to chip/film is less 'stressed'.

Cheers,
Duff

iiiNelson

I don't know about the image circle but a look at the camera design will tell you if a larger chip can be fitted.

A mirrorless camera has the lens closer to the chip (shorter backflange). Therefore the sensor requires a lens of sufficient diameter to project the image onto the sensor without increasing the angle of the light hitting those pixel 'bins' towards the edge of the sensor (which would otherwise result in light fall-off, colour nastiness, and other nasties). Therefore, for a mirrorless lens to maintain the same angle of light from lens to sensor as on a DSLR lens (imagine a cone of light being projected) it has to be wider which means a wider lens mount.

The mirrorless 'super-35mm' Fuji GFX has a mount diameter of 65mm to deal with this so the Nikon Z at 55mm is well short. Therefore the Nikon Z will not be able to take a larger chip.

...and yes, the 'super-35mm' Leica S has a mount of diameter of 53mm (smaller than the Z). However, the Leica is a reflex camera and the backflange is therefore longer so the light path from lens to chip/film is less 'stressed'.

Cheers,
Duff
I read an interview/saw a video where there were serious discussions internally at Nikon about whether to put a sensor larger than 35mm into the Z... so there is always that future possibility to do so. This actually may also be the best thing about the long term future of Z mount in that it could likely accommodate a larger than 35mm sensor and software to correct optical imperfections at the edges of need be once the benefits of high megapixel FF cameras reach a point of diminishing returns.

Duff photographer

I read an interview/saw a video where there were serious discussions internally at Nikon about whether to put a sensor larger than 35mm into the Z... so there is always that future possibility to do so. This actually may also be the best thing about the long term future of Z mount in that it could likely accommodate a larger than 35mm sensor and software to correct optical imperfections at the edges of need be once the benefits of high megapixel FF cameras reach a point of diminishing returns.
Just remembered, the Leica FF sensor has its parabolic microlens wizardry to 'straighten' the light path to the pixel and associated rejiggered pixel substructure to increase pixel size to allow its FF cameras to use both the M and R lenses without imperfections creeping in. If Nikon follows that route then I guess it's possible they could fit a larger sensor with no need for correction software.

Cheers,
Duff

Last edited: