Site Sponsors

Thread: Sigma DP-1 Merrill shots

Post Thanks / Like

Sigma DP-1 Merrill shots

Got my DP-1 Merrill and out for some shots in recent trip to Taiwan. The scenery shot made in a fishing harbor in East Taiwan, Nanfang'ao (Southern Bay), and one portrait made on one of Taiwan most celebrated photography master - Ko Sichi, a close friend of mine. And a close-up on egg shelves, in a bakery shop.
    All shot in RAW, ISO 100, manual mode.

As the DP-2 Merrill that I also have, the DP-1 Merrill is a very nice companion camera, equally excellent.

BR,
    Pingang
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sigma DP-1 Merrill shots

more Sigma DP-1 Merrill shots

BR,
    Pingang
    Last edited by Pingang; 11th January 2013 at 23:54.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am unsure about the DP1M. It seems its lens is not quite as outstanding as the DP2m. thoughts?
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Quentin, I was just thinking the opposite.

Many of the pictures have that '3d-ness' that you see on the DP2M.

The cat on top of the fishing net shot stands out as does the subway station (marvellous stuff!).

But what really stands out for me is the portrait. I thought the DP1M brochure made the portrait ability stand out and I feel the portrait shot here emphasises that.

I only wish I could afford to get one but I'm a little tapped out after getting the DP2M and some accesories (lens hood, filter, portable tripod) so this acquisition will have to wait for a while.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Quentin, I was just thinking the opposite.

Many of the pictures have that '3d-ness' that you see on the DP2M.

The cat on top of the fishing net shot stands out as does the subway station (marvellous stuff!).

But what really stands out for me is the portrait. I thought the DP1M brochure made the portrait ability stand out and I feel the portrait shot here emphasises that.

I only wish I could afford to get one but I'm a little tapped out after getting the DP2M and some accesories (lens hood, filter, portable tripod) so this acquisition will have to wait for a while.

LouisB
    Well I have a DP1m on order now so I guess I will find out
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I should have said great shots Pingang. Really first class.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

Great shots! You're tempting me back to sigma =)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I think the DP-1M is a completely different camera from DP-2M because of different lens. The 28mm is fact very good at close ups, as I did the portrait and the egg shells, reminds me of the Carl Zeiss for Contax 28/2 MM lens, which I use to shoot a lot of portrait with.
    The DP-1M wide angle lens is perfect for location work, while the DP-2M is more for selected subjects.
    Both really nice camera and the only problem is that you may need both.

BR,
    Pingang
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    I am unsure about the DP1M. It seems its lens is not quite as outstanding as the DP2m. thoughts?
    They are different lens, typically it is a lot easier to make a normal lens to perform better than wide angle lens, so I would say to put the lens in comparison of same focal length, the 2 are the same.
    I use the DP-1M more for travel shots while using the DP-2M in studio for portrait snaps. Both great!

BR,
    Pingang

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Pingang. I am planning a trip to Morocco and I think I will need both.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, seems like the new DP1M lens is a bit more usable than the old DP1 f4 design. I found it did not focus very close, and f4 was quite frustrating at times when I needed a bit more light.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

first time out, software is definitely clunky, 7th ave locksmith, key mosaic

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

sunset at the apple store, NYC 14th

using sigma monchrome converter:

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yours truly, getting clipped, arm-length shot, viewing LCD in barber's window, ha!
    light was a florescent/incandescent mix; couldn't color balance well in sigma did most in PS. (where is the color picker, Kelvin and tint control in sigma?)
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

cheer up, Jim it's a barber not a dentist
    Quentin Bargate
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I do think those DP1M pictures are wonderful. And where the DP2M’s are very very clean, and refined, the 1M’s are more film-like, AND the 1M’s do really have some special charm over them, which I like very much! Sort of two “very” different camera’s. Yes, perhaps one will need both. Keep on!
    Best from rainy Italy Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The DP1M seems less popular than the DP2M, but here is a monochrome converted shot from Harfield Forrest today

Quentin Bargate
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, just for the fun of it, go to
    Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page
    chose the DP1M for the first camera, go to still-life 100, click once + twice and try to look at the lady at the "Hellas" bottle and for the second camera do the same for f.ex. canon MkIII or Nikon D800E. Its only the D800E that is close/better and Pentax 645D are considerable better. The OM-D is close.
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Well, just for the fun of it, go to
    Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page
    chose the DP1M for the first camera, go to still-life 100, click once + twice and try to look at the lady at the "Hellas" bottle and for the second camera do the same for f.ex. canon MkIII or Nikon D800E. Its only the D800E that is close/better and Pentax 645D are considerable better. The OM-D is close.
    Thorkil
    The DP1M shots stack up very well. I certainly don't feel I am at a disadvantage using a DP2M over a D800E.

But the Pentax shot is superb. If I had the dough that is one camera I would seriously contemplate owning.

That said, for all intents and purposes the DP1M is more than capable of serious results and it won't break the bank or lead to divorce.

Louis

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Sony NEX-7 looks very good as well

Sigma turned the haircoupe red.

Michiel

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    The DP1M shots stack up very well. I certainly don't feel I am at a disadvantage using a DP2M over a D800E.

But the Pentax shot is superb. If I had the dough that is one camera I would seriously contemplate owning.

That said, for all intents and purposes the DP1M is more than capable of serious results and it won't break the bank or lead to divorce.

Louis
    The Pentax 645 has been on my radar for quiet some time. I even bought (a reasonable priced) 200mm lens for it.
    I decided to stay with my wife.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why worry. I own a Hassy H4D-50 which has the edge over the Pentax 645D but it is the Merrils that get used the most.
    Quentin Bargate
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, don't worry Michiel. With all that you are getting around, you will get heavy overloaded. You would have to get extraordinary fit, exercise at least 2 hours a day(but on the other hand after the divorce there would be plenty of time), to be able to carry that bulky 645 camera around...and after some short time you will end up selling it like I did with my 800E.
    So some 1/2M's, a GXR and if things were going extraordinary wild, then an OM-D perhaps, will keep you smiling and happy (didn't mention a GRD as I'm sure it wouln't fit you(?)

Thorkil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thorkil;
    Already now I am carrying around three different cameras + adapters and assorted lenses on small trips.
    My mind is a mess! You never know what you might need.
    I am in an extraodinary good shape already. I don't need a subscription to a fitnesscentrum,
    which creates room for extra investments in more weight to carry.
    So I must be getting fitter and fitter.

But one day I will end up with that one superb camera with a huge EVF and a diopter + 10 and only one super zoom lens 12-250/1.8 with no distortion in a very small package.

That 'll be the day.......who.. ou.....who.. ou

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Happy to hear you are physically up to the task, Michiel!
    Yes, we are all dreaming of that little camera that will save our lives and our inner souls..(and fits in the pocket)
    Still dreaming, sometimes, of the M6 happy period of perhaps 5-8 years where I only used the 21 Elmarit/2.8, and I was somehow unaware about I really ought to be unhappy, while that lens is soft in the corners, and sometimes it was too wide etc., but in that short period I didn't confront me with other possibilities (when internet was an unknown word…wonder what I did instead)(yes I did have some summicron’s but decided going wide). Sometimes I could catch myself looking at that little camera, thinking, what a nice, well build, solid, effective tool with a wonderful modest and non-alarming appearance.
    So it’s also about times, times that have changed, and our mind too. The spreading confusion. I wonder how many cameras Henri Cartier B. had and how many lenses?
    So it’s perhaps just about that simplicity, and then making a choice, and stay happy with that for a long period. And then perhaps challenging oneself instead of the equipment, being satisfied with what one get through the lens, and not what you don't get.
    But that I can't speak of, while I do sit here instead of getting out.....it’s rather cold out there...
    Thorkil

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

One from the DP1M taken earlier this month that I overlooked and just processed now. Ithaca Falls. Cropped to a 1:2 aspect ratio.

FULL SIZE
    Carl
    Gallery