Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No thread for Ricoh GR?

Post Thanks / Like

No thread for Ricoh GR?

Came over here to see what others are thinking with regards to the APS-C Ricoh GR and couldn't find a thread.

So, what do you guys think?

Ricoh GR Images and Full Specification Leaked NEW CAMERA

If you are a Ricoh GR fan, I would think this is a great update.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: No thread for Ricoh GR?

Since I'm a "long time" GR1, GR10 and GRD user, I'm quite excited about this (not yet) announcement. If the camera lives up my expectation, I'll sure be getting one mid-term.
    My Flickr

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will be getting one. I have this sensor in my Pentax Klls and Ricoh GXR A16 Zoom module - it is really good.
    But now folks are going to have to decide on which "look" they want. The depth of field will be quite different to other GR Digitals. I personally like the way a small sensor draws.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

I usually have my film GRs loaded with ISO400 film. DOF is plenty in almost every situation, but I agree, that it isn't comparable to the tiny sensors used in the GRDs. With the original GRD you could easily set it to F2.4 and snap focus and not worry about AF at all.
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Good point regarding DOF. However, just put it on ISO 3200 and crank up the aperture. It's still a 18mm lens and this will have a few stops better range ISO wise. Shouldn't be too hard to get wide DOF.

For me, I never could get into the GRD because it was 4:3 aspect in RAW and I didn't like the small sensor look. Now, for me, this is the first true GR digital. Very excited to get one.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll be getting one as soon as it comes. I guess its the one I have been longing for. Just bought a Pentax K-30, but not supported by C1, then a K-5, but have to reinstall from the bottom a win8 64bit, for the C17, sigh....
    But I could have spared myself with the new V'er. Nothing compare in size and simplicity, (allthough suffient complicated in a nice way).
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    I'll be getting one as soon as it comes. I guess its the one I have been longing for.
    +1 one for me on both counts. I will be getting one ASAP. I thought about posting the news of it here but waited to see if anyone else showed interest.

I really do think its a milestone camera, small, very portable and now with APS-C IQ. Please Don't compare it to an X100/s in any way. While I like the X100 and had one for a while its a lump compared the the GRD series. I have all versions of GRD and the GRD IV goes with me even if my OM-D or DP2M are as well. IMO the only other camera to come close in size and IQ as well is the DP1/2 (non Merrills) - but we know the shortcomings there.

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    The depth of field will be quite different to other GR Digitals. I personally like the way a small sensor draws.
    Keith
    I do agree this will be a different beast with the larger sensor, I will be keeping my other GRDees. I am curious to how well the IQ stands up with a crop to 35mm equiv FOV will work (say about 10Mpixel res?). If the crop is ok, that gives you a... 21mm (with adapter lens), 28 and 35mm all in one small package. Whats not to like? Any shortcomings the camera has I will live with, I think it will perform very well though. I once took a GRD II away on a non photography holiday as my only camera and only a few times missed a longer focal length.

I'd almost prefer they don't make it in white so I don't have to choose between black or white like we did with the GRD IV!!

PS: just look at my avatar.

PPS: Should this forum have a section for large sensor compacts? - I guess "other" cameras is it for now!
    Last edited by Tim; 16th April 2013 at 21:58.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I pre-ordered today... I couldn't resist. I'll use it along with my X100s and X-Pro1 w/ 35mm lens. I guess I like fixed lens cameras generally. I only really use 28mm, 35mm, and 50mm anyway. All three of these can fit in one small bag.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, yes I know you have all seen it allready but....
    Ricoh GR Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review
    and Nikon can't compete I think, despite they claim otherwise
    ....but how can one put it over the edge in B&W when the sensor goes to 25.000...
    Thorkil

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Y
    ....but how can one put it over the edge in B&W when the sensor goes to 25.000...
    Thorkil
    . . . by shooting film. That's what I do. Loan up my GR1s with Arista 400 and process in diafine, then scan. It's gives a more believable gritty look than my grdiv.
    Don't spend too much time doing this, or you will get hooked.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

. . . by shooting film. That's what I do. Loan up my GR1s with Arista 400 and process in diafine, then scan. It's gives a more believable gritty look than my grdiv.
    Don't spend too much time doing this, or you will get hooked.

Keith
    Hhmmm....I would actually love to, Keith! ....did it a lot when I was Young in my little lab in our wardrobe, very soft paper very soft contrasts and very grainy, dreamy...
    but my learning curve is rather flat and long. And scanner ? Just a Plustech 8200I AI or what?....hhmm tempting, and looking over the left shoulder I can see the M6 that has felt a bit lonely for some years now, and the 21 Elmarit is just okay for my part......
    Thorkil

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hhmmm....I would actually love to, Keith! ....did it a lot when I was Young in my little lab in our wardrobe, very soft paper very soft contrasts and very grainy, dreamy...
    but my learning curve is rather flat and long. And scanner ? Just a Plustech 8200I AI or what?....hhmm tempting, and looking over the left shoulder I can see the M6 that has felt a bit lonely for some years now, and the 21 Elmarit is just okay for my part......
    Thorkil
    I've reduced it to a science of minimalism. Diafine is very simple and allows a huge lattitude. It lasts forever, doesn't care about temperature or much about time and gives great results for scanning. Works for any film I've thrown at it, but best with Tri-x or equivalent. If you are not familiar with it do a google and read what folks are saying.
    For 35mm I have been scanning for a couple of years with a Plustek 7600i. I recently picked up a used Minolta 5400 for $160, which is a winner. I do medium format on my Epson v7500.
    The excitement is in the cameras. I picked up a Kodak Bantam flash the other day for $9.99 and it has to be one of the cutest pieces of mechanical engineering in my collection.
    But I shoot a lot with the Ricoh GR1s which is the same size as the new GR, but is full frame with an optical viewfinder thrown in.

Keith

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've reduced it to a science of minimalism. Diafine is very simple and allows a huge lattitude. It lasts forever, doesn't care about temperature or much about time and gives great results for scanning. Works for any film I've thrown at it, but best with Tri-x or equivalent. If you are not familiar with it do a google and read what folks are saying.
    For 35mm I have been scanning for a couple of years with a Plustek 7600i. I recently picked up a used Minolta 5400 for $160, which is a winner. I do medium format on my Epson v7500.
    The excitement is in the cameras. I picked up a Kodak Bantam flash the other day for $9.99 and it has to be one of the cutest pieces of mechanical engineering in my collection.
    But I shoot a lot with the Ricoh GR1s which is the same size as the new GR, but is full frame with an optical viewfinder thrown in.

Keith

Hi Keith, I was wondering what you were doing lately Looks like fun.

All the best, Michiel

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey, Michiel.

Don't give up hope on me. This winter has only been good for battening down the hatches and ordering up old cameras from e-bay.
    We also sold our small weekend place in the city which cramped my style a bit. That will soon change though.
    I've been lurking!

cheers

Keith

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hhmmm....I would actually love to, Keith! ....did it a lot when I was Young in my little lab in our wardrobe . . .
    Thorkil
    Thorkil, you are something else!

Keith
    Last edited by woodmancy; 22nd April 2013 at 17:37.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thorkil, you are something else!

Keith
    Thanks Keith, that, I allow myself to take as a compliment (the flat was small but the wardrobe, thanks God, was big...)
    Thorkil
    PS thanks for hints and advices!
    PPS minimalism is a relief (!)

Post Thanks / Like

B&H has ship date estimated for 5/15

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The new GR looks to be a fine camera. (My old GR1 is still with the friend I sold it to, still works and is working; it was a fine little beast, although I preferred my Rollei 35S.)

That said, I'm giving the GR a pass. I have so many cameras now it's absurd to think about buying yet another one, particularly of this type since to me it simply replicates the GXR+A12 28, X2 and GXR+A12 50 that I already find to be fine for my purposes, when I get a chance to use them.

I prefer 35 to 50 mm EFoV anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Placed a pre-order on a Ricoh GR a couple days ago. This is very unusual for me, not waiting for the hands on reviews, user impressions and final firmware results. From the pre-reviews, and the hands-on videos I've looked at it just seems to be the camera to have, so I jumped.

Great size without sacrificing handling, APS-C sensor, lots of custom set-up options and on the camera with manual controls, menus that seem logical, nice screen, great lens, now if it all comes together and the files are as good as we hope… wondering if the 12 bit will be the weak link.

This may be the camera to replace my D-LUX 4 (thought it would be a new D-LUX 6), but with a 'move the feet' zoom lens. I like the idea its a fixed 28, with an optional 21, and if I need to crop to 35 or so the large sensor should do the job still.

Would have been nice to have an EVF (kind of defeats the size thing though), but I'll put my Voigtlander mini 35/28 on top with the option to turn the screen off (can set the aperture and or shutter speed and pre-focus distance and its almost like film ;-).

Ricoh cameras have a very good reputation, and they keep up on the firmware updates. I could wait for the next best thing, but hoping its here [well almost, in a couple weeks].

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see Ricoh expand the GR line... not a fan of add on lenses that defeat the purpose of the camera... which is to be small. Looks like Pentax will be releasing its own compact P&S style APS-C camera. Hopefully, they learn something from Ricoh. Will be interesting to see the rumored Sony RX10 too.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very drawn but will likely pass for now. I compared dimensions with my Nex 7 and the Nex is not much bigger. I think I'll try that new 20mm pancake lens instead. For street I really enjoy waist-level shooting with a wide lens and the Nex flip screen.

John

Post Thanks / Like

I too was tempted, but picked up a used Fuji X100 instead.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSRockit View Post
    I would love to see Ricoh expand the GR line... not a fan of add on lenses that defeat the purpose of the camera... which is to be small. Looks like Pentax will be releasing its own compact P&S style APS-C camera. Hopefully, they learn something from Ricoh. Will be interesting to see the rumored Sony RX10 too.
    Since Pentax *is* Ricoh, I would hope tha they learn something from one another ... ;-)

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Since Pentax *is* Ricoh, I would hope tha they learn something from one another ... ;-)

G
    You would think, but it would be the first time two divisions of a company have no clue what each other are doing.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot help but think that GR is the MX-1 killer. I know I know, zoom vs prime, but looks like Ricoh and Pentax developed GR and MX-1 separately without knowing what the other is doing...

And regarding size:

Compact Camera Meter

You would think, but it would be the first time two divisions of a company have no clue what each other are doing.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree AA.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aleksanderpolo View Post
    I cannot help but think that GR is the MX-1 killer. I know I know, zoom vs prime, but looks like Ricoh and Pentax developed GR and MX-1 separately without knowing what the other is doing...

And regarding size:

Compact Camera Meter
    It's quite likely the MX-1 was in development before Ricoh acquired Pentax, and the same for the GR. Both show unmistakeable signs of their different parentage. What I'm waiting to see is the first Pentax Ricoh product which was developed starting after Ricoh bought Pentax.

G

Post Thanks / Like

and the same for the GR.
    I disagree, there is both Pentax and Ricoh in the GR. It looks like a Ricoh GRD but has the same sensor as the K5II, and the TAv mode as the Pentax line. Call it a crossover perhaps, the camera design was started by Ricoh but there is a lot of Pentax tech and influence in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, the TAv mode is certainly a Pentax influence.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, the TAv mode is certainly a Pentax influence.
    I agree ... didn't realize that was in there. So that seems to indicate the GR was in development early enough in the cycle that some of the Pentax input could make it into the product.

Otherwise, the two cameras are so different in overall aesthetic and design meme that they reflect the two different parent companies strongly.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Otherwise, the two cameras are so different in overall aesthetic and design meme that they reflect the two different parent companies strongly.

G
    I agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Rumor has it that these may arrive in the US as early as May 10th...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Some GR pics for your viewing pleasure.

mookio's GR set on flickr

Seems to be updated on a regular basis. Looking very impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

I pre-ordered which I never do. I just couldn't resist. It's (hopefully) exactly the camera I've been looking for.

I've had the GRDIII (twice) and the GRD Original. I've also had film GR's and loved them all. In my opinion, they fit my hand, are ergonomically correct and provide a very specific image quality that I have yet to find elsewhere (okay, okay, not so much the film ones, but I could get the look I wanted out of those with specific films).

I'm curious to see the size as compared to the current GRD lineup. I'm also curious to see how it compares IQ-wise to the A12 50 GXR Module, which I just got a couple of days ago (I know... I'm late to the party).
    HeyMatthew.com // NibandInk.com
    Fuji X100T

Post Thanks / Like

Any updates on the US release date?

Post Thanks / Like

I sold my GRD IV not too long ago. But I'm weak and got seduced by the GR. I have the GR on pre-order. Although B&H still shows 'Expected availability: May 15 2013', I don't expect to see the camera next week. It would be a nice surprise though.

I'm interested in how the hyperfocal quick shooting will work out. For sunny day, I can get faster than 1/500 shutter speed.

GRD IV would have been f/8 ISO 400 (focused at ~1m)
    GR would be f/16 ISO 1600 (focused at ~1.5m)

Post Thanks / Like

Any updates on the US release date?
    B&H says an estimated arrival of 5/15 on their website. They're usually pretty spot-on with estimates. I hope they're right. I'm going to Party in the Park in Atlanta on 5/18 and would LOVE to take it with me...
    Fuji X100T

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I know what B&H says... I've heard as early as the 10th. However, note that B&H is closed on the 15th...

"Our SuperStore and Offices will be closing early on Tuesday, May 14th at 2:00PM EDT and remain closed on Wednesday & Thursday, May 15th & 16th. We will reopen on Friday, May 17th at 9:00AM EDT."

Kind of lame... so even if it comes on the 15th, it won't be shipped until the 17th and will arrive at the earliest on Monday.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I know what B&H says... I've heard as early as the 10th. However, note that B&H is closed on the 15th...

"Our SuperStore and Offices will be closing early on Tuesday, May 14th at 2:00PM EDT and remain closed on Wednesday & Thursday, May 15th & 16th. We will reopen on Friday, May 17th at 9:00AM EDT."

Kind of lame... so even if it comes on the 15th, it won't be shipped until the 17th and will arrive at the earliest on Monday.
    Oh. That sucks. If anyone else gets a guaranteed in-stock date other than B&H, I'll cancel my order and move it to another retailer. The prices are the same across the board. I respect religious holidays and what not, but B&H is ridiculous about it.

I suppose I don't really NEED the camera, I just got hopeful that I'd have it in time for the festival in Atlanta.
    Fuji X100T

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heymatthew View Post
    I respect religious holidays and what not, but B&H is ridiculous about it.
    I hear that...

Post Thanks / Like

I hear that...
    I actually really respect them for it. They have principles, and they are willing to live by those principles, even if it costs them. If B&H is closed and I really want something, Amazon gets that business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mezzoduomo View Post
    I actually really respect them for it. They have principles, and they are willing to live by those principles, even if it costs them. If B&H is closed and I really want something, Amazon gets that business.
    I'm exactly the same. I definitely respect religious holidays. I'm a Southern Baptist born and raised and totally enjoy my holidays. I'm like you in that if B&H is unavailable, I'll move on down to the next company for what I need. If Amazon would give me a definite date of arrival on their site, I'd order from them as I get Prime shipping anyway and it would be way cheaper than B&H's overnight shipping by about $30.

Unfortunately, B&H is the only company willing to put out an expected arrival date.
    Fuji X100T
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mezzoduomo View Post
    I was just being half-jokingly selfish. I can wait a few days in reality. I have other cameras.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just being half-jokingly selfish. I can wait a few days in reality. I have other cameras.
    Indeed. I just cannot understand all the panic and anxiety about when, exactly, to the minute a camera will be released and "have to have it IMMEDIATELY" attitudes I read about this stuff.

It's just a freekin' camera, people. Don't you all have a dozen or more of them?

G

Post Thanks / Like

Well, for the need it now types, it looks like it will be May 24th in Japan, so I cannot imagine the US getting it prior to that.

Map camera:

RICOHGR

Crudely Translated: Launch Date: May 24, 2013 will launch ( * Trade-in if you are interested in the comment section that please fill out) for reservations Special Offer: GR original RED GR debut with ring's campaign for.

What's the red ring edition?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I could have used it at work next week, being able to 6400 iso instead of dragging the K-5II with me. But its ok, and I can take the GXR-M-module along with the cv 15 as reserve.
    A bit exited about what Ming Thing claims to be an ability to B&W at least as good as an MM. That will be one thing to see! And another thing, when C17 will be updated with a support too!
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I'd love to see how tonality for B&W conversion works out. The less PP work, the better because I'm lazy. I will definitely be making B&W prints from the GR. I have been shooting with an MM since late last year (10,000+ shots) and really like the tonality.

And of course, I need the camera now.

Post Thanks / Like

B&H updated its expected date to 5/27.