Site Sponsors

Thread: Au Revoir

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Au Revoir

Dear All

It's been (mostly) fun, but following the nonsense with the Sigma "Enduring Issues" thread, including its premature locking, which indiscriminately punishes innocent and guilty alike, I am giving these forums a long break.

Some of the best photographers I have had the privilege to witness operate here. Also a (very) few who can spoil it for others.

I probably also spend far too long here, and a rest is overdue.

All the best for now.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Au Revoir

That's a shame, it's your pictures that are the main reason I pop in here from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Dear All

It's been (mostly) fun, but following the nonsense with the Sigma "Enduring Issues" thread, including its premature locking, which indiscriminately punishes innocent and guilty alike, I am giving these forums a long break.

Some of the best photographers I have had the privilege to witness operate here. Also a (very) few who can spoil it for others.

All the best for now.

Quentin

Post Thanks / Like

Quentin

Please don't go. It is thanks to you I own Sigma CSCs in the first place!

I don't quite know what happened in the thread and to some extent it seemed to kick off after I commented on my concern on purchasing the DP0Q. So, I hope I'm not partially to blame for your desire to distance yourself from the forum.

We all need a break now and then but please don't make it too long. Your contributions are far too valuable.

With sincere best regards

LouisB

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there Quentin,

not sure what has happened but I'm sorry to see you go for a temporarily sabbatical and so instead of au revoir I'm sincerly hoping for à bientôt ...

Take care.

Dear All

All the best for now.

Quentin
    Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i too appreciate Quentin!

don't go

(i have avoided the sigma threads, so am clueless)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dear All

All the best for now.

Quentin
    Locking was to provide a much needed "cooling-off" interval.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

I feel over guilty for this situation. I think you should stay and I should go away from gdpi, Quentin.

Anyway, I was planning that too since I do not have that much fun sharing anything (war period or not). Will just share, later, a database of raws and applications (all spps) of all foveon based products since 2009, for the ones who want to see how things change (in good or bad and if the mood go up).

Photography at it's best ??

Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The best solution is that you both stay!

LouisB

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    The best solution is that you both stay!

LouisB
    Exactly ! Either you both stay or we all leave !
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

That's gentle, guys, but sometimes a cooling down period is very necessary. All forums have changed in the past few years because technology changed too.
    DXO gurus and all just broke my hope in a more artistic world. I want to learn. When a master is kind enough to share a picture I ask myself how on hearth I can improve my eyes (or whatever) to approach this level. I'm done with "look at what I can do at 1000 ISO"... or philosophical post about life. Photography and art are what is important to me. OFC technical threads are necessary sometime but I do not know why SIGMA gear always attracted more scientists than photographers. Back in 2009/2010, it was absolutely not the same. I'm now kind of bored. Photography is what put bread and potatoes in my plate (and beer too).

But there is hope ! There is a new comer on this forum, TAN, and I feel that this photographer yield some magical powers and creativity. His first post was photography, not mathematics

This forum section is not going to die because some decided to leave, at least not because I decided to leave.

Have fun and inspiration !!
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, thanks for the kind comments, I will just keep my head down for a while then - so long as Hulyss sticks around too I'm feeling a touch jaded photographically and in all seriousness, need to reduce the time I spend discussing photography and increase my time actually doing photography.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds reasonable - but do keep sharing the results ;-)

Well, thanks for the kind comments, I will just keep my head down for a while then - so long as Hulyss sticks around too I'm feeling a touch jaded photographically and in all seriousness, need to reduce the time I spend discussing photography and increase my time actually doing photography.

Post Thanks / Like

Quentin and Hulyss, I hope both of you will stay and continue to share. I have not posted because I do not feel my work is up to the standards here. However, you (and all the other amazing enthusiasts who post to these Merrill threads) reawakened my interest in photography. So, an overdue personal thank you! I worry, without posters like you, these Merrill threads will die -- at least they will never be the same.

I should have warned you about engaging this particular guy from dpr. He's a known bully. Any engagement with him is bound to end in a senseless, destructive spiral. But don't let this guy win and ruin the best photog forum on the web!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes a holiday from forums can be good and refreshing. I've left a few but have sometimes on reflection regretted it, or at least wished I'd stepped back for a while prior. Hope you do stay or the holiday is pleasant and you return with many great images. I know your contribution here has been valued by myself.So yes everyone please stay put for the long term.

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice image here. I like it!! I took the liberty of rotating it, hope you don't mind.
    Robert

Name:  goodbyetoo.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  58.2 KB
    "Photography at it's best ??"

[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Been there, done that (about two years ago Bob locked me out/slapped me around with a wet trout for overheating - justifiably so) .
    Cooling off helps. Try to see the best in people, and if that doesn't work don't take it personally.

If you do leave, please consider coming back in a few weeks or months.
    Lars
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OlderThenDirt View Post
    Really nice image here. I like it!! I took the liberty of rotating it, hope you don't mind
    this is the correct rotation, a figurehead as a symbol for: Hulyss sailing away
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

It would be a great loss if both Quentin and Hulyss permanently left. I'm sure I am not alone in saying their enthusiasm, comments and above all, their photos have been a huge inspiration and changed the way I think about photography; even if that doesn't often translate into my finished photos!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foveon View Post
    this is the correct rotation, a figurehead as a symbol for: Hulyss sailing away
    Hey,
    Sorry about that. I thought it as one of the "reclining" poses from Rubens or Raphael etc. It is lovely.
    Robert