The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the 645D

benroy

Subscriber Member
Shutting off the AF confirmation light did the trick with the 200/4...nice, sharp images as a result.

I'm a 24/7 caregiver...means my area of picture-taking is very restricted...I'm fortunate in that there is a large garden on the other side of my backyard fence...and my time is limited to the very early AM hours.

While waiting for the 645D to arrive (it has) I tested lenses on the Canon 40D..
here are samples using the 45/2.8...which becomes a 65-67mm lens...and was very pleased with the results...judging from comments on this thread, there is some unhappiness with the edges of the 45...but with the 40D I'm getting the lens' "sweet spot".

Roy Benson

Last edited:

D&A

Hi Ben,

If I understand you correctly, you're essentually ignoring the AF conformation light when focusing with your manual focus 200 f4 and simply focusing till the image looks the sharpest in the 645D viewfinder. If so (and my assumption is correct), then it demonstrates that if your 200 f4 was a Af lens, it would have needed Af fine tuning in the 645D body. In fact I suppose you could Af fine tune your MF 200 f4 and eventually have the Af conformation light come on at the exact point where the image looks sharpest to your eye.

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

Hi Ben,

If I understand you correctly, you're essentually ignoring the AF conformation light when focusing with your manual focus 200 f4 and simply focusing till the image looks the sharpest in the 645D viewfinder. If so (and my assumption is correct), then it demonstrates that if your 200 f4 was a Af lens, it would have needed Af fine tuning in the 645D body. In fact I suppose you could Af fine tune your MF 200 f4 and eventually have the Af conformation light come on at the exact point where the image looks sharpest to your eye.

Dave (D&A)
Is it possible to set FA lense to manual focus and ignore the focus confirmation light, and get sharp focus?
Dave

benroy

Subscriber Member
Dave and Dave (D&A): This is what I did with the 200/4 A: I turned to page 44 of the 645D manual, and under Memo it says: "You can also use [13. AF button function] in the [C2]menu to set the AF button function to [AF cancel]. (ref. Menu manual: page R.31)"...and it worked and has worked for the other A lenses that I have tried.

I have yet to meet a 645A lens that I didn't like...and I have tried the 45, 55,80-160,
120 macro, and the 200. The 80-160, by the way, is a real load, but the images are very good.

Roy Benson

gurtch

645D 45~85 lens, slow shutter speed (intentional). I experimented with the B+W 10 stop ND. It did not work for me using 15 to 30 second exposures. The water and breaking waves "disappeared", and the clouds moved. This exposure was briefer--I think 1/10 second ot around ther.
Thanks for looking
Dave

Last edited:

Analog6

645D 45~85 lens, slow shutter speed (intentional). I experimented with the B+W 10 stop ND. It did not work for me using 15 to 30 second exposures. The water and breaking waves "disappeared", and the clouds moved. This exposure was briefer--I think 1/10 second ot around ther.
Thanks for looking
Dave
Dave, that is just superb, love the composition of leading lines. Great work.

I must get myself a 10 stop ND. Been hanging out until I could afford the Lee one.

D&A

Dave, that is just superb, love the composition of leading lines. Great work.

I must get myself a 10 stop ND. Been hanging out until I could afford the Lee one.
+1 I too love the composition of leading lines, the colors & hues, and the almost sureal look of the image. Very nice Dave!

Dave (D&A)

aboudd

Waiting for Godot or a tilt/shift

I had to shoot this building for a client yesterday. While I shot it with the Nikon and 28MM PC combo I experimented with the Pentax 645 and the 35MM lens. The camera was set about 7 feet off the ground but I still had to tilt to get the building in. I corrected perspective in CS 5 , but in the process lost some of the sky and the flag on top of the building. I then extended the sky and brought the flag back into the image. There was cropping of about a third of the bottom of the image to eliminate the foreground.

Hey Pentax! Make a T/S lens for chrissake!

Last edited:

gurtch

+1 I too love the composition of leading lines, the colors & hues, and the almost sureal look of the image. Very nice Dave!

Dave (D&A)
Thank you for the encouragement. At 74 years of age, I need sometimes a little stimulus to get me going. Seeing the quality of work posted here, I am flattered with your comments
Dave Beach Haven NJ-----bracing for a major hurricane. Our island is only 4 to 1 block wide, 16 miles long:eek:

benroy

Subscriber Member
Just picked up a 35/3.5 A for the 645D...very impressed with this fine lens...most impressed with the way it holds fine detail despite heavy cropping...will send pics when I can conjure up some images worthy of this thread/forum.

Roy Benson

D&A

Thank you for the encouragement. At 74 years of age, I need sometimes a little stimulus to get me going. Seeing the quality of work posted here, I am flattered with your comments
Dave Beach Haven NJ-----bracing for a major hurricane. Our island is only 4 to 1 block wide, 16 miles long:eek:
Dave,

You certainly have posted many lovely images, especially those of the area of which you live in...so not sure how much stimulus you need :) Seems you're doing just fine.

I know the Jersey shores got particularly hard hit by the Hurricane, so I hope all is OK with you. Let us know.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Just picked up a 35/3.5 A for the 645D...very impressed with this fine lens...most impressed with the way it holds fine detail despite heavy cropping...will send pics when I can conjure up some images worthy of this thread/forum.

Roy Benson
HI Roy,

I use the FA 35mm f3.5 lens and although I believe this lens and your have a slightly different optical arrangement, they eprformance characteristics are quite similar. In fact the manual focus version may have slightly superior edge and corner performance. Looking forward to seeing some images from it. Dave (who posted above), also uses this lens, I believe.

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

Dave,

You certainly have posted many lovely images, especially those of the area of which you live in...so not sure how much stimulus you need :) Seems you're doing just fine.

I know the Jersey shores got particularly hard hit by the Hurricane, so I hope all is OK with you. Let us know.

Dave (D&A)
Thanks for the good wishes. We escaped with no major problems, except beach erosion. I did record the afterwards sky as soon as we were allowed back on the island. I posted it in the "Fun with Sony" section.
Dave

benroy

Subscriber Member
Examples of first work-out of 35/3.5. I'll apologize in advance for not including landscapes and architecturals...I'm limited to my immediate environs, but I think these pics will demonstrate a very fine lens, with great rendering of fine detail...F/11 @ 10 feet and you have a killer wedding candid lens.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

Shashin

This thread has been moved to the Pentax Forum as the S2 was moved to the Leica Forum. Thanks Guy
Does this mean the Pentax is banished from the medium-format section? This seems like an odd move. It is your call, but it is strange...

Just a comment...

fotografz

Does this mean the Pentax is banished from the medium-format section? This seems like an odd move. It is your call, but it is strange...

Just a comment...
It is obvious. There is a fun with any MFD here, not any specific one. All mixed in together.

So sure you could post a Pentax MFD image, just like I could post a S2 image along with the Hasselbald, Mamiya, Phase One, ALPA, etc.

-Marc

bensonga

Hi Roy.

These pics look very good to me.

Have you decided to keep the 645D? I noticed you had it for sale (and 645 lenses) and then withdrew the sale. I've been interested in it for a long time. I also have a co-worker who might, just might, be interested in going the MFD route someday and I had suggested he take a close look at the 645D.

Gary