Site Sponsors

Thread: Suggestions for 2-3 lens K-5 kit

Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions for 2-3 lens K-5 kit

I'm thinking again of getting a K-5. Actually, the kit with the 18-55 is not much different to the body only in price in the UK at present so I think I will get that combination.

However, I really am only a prime shooter. My favourite lengths are 35, 50 and 90.

Looking through the Pentax lens possibilities it seems like the 21 Limited, the 35 Macro Limited and the 55/1.4 DA.

Does that seem like sound logic given my preferences?

LouisB

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for 2-3 lens K-5 kit

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I'm thinking again of getting a K-5. Actually, the kit with the 18-55 is not much different to the body only in price in the UK at present so I think I will get that combination.

However, I really am only a prime shooter. My favourite lengths are 35, 50 and 90.

Looking through the Pentax lens possibilities it seems like the 21 Limited, the 35 Macro Limited and the 55/1.4 DA.

Does that seem like sound logic given my preferences?

LouisB
    When I had a K5 some weeks ago the35 was my favorite and most used lens. I find the 21 +35 a great combo. And then the 55 for portrait (I have never used it) sounds like a great combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You might also consider the most highly regarded of the full-frame auto focus lenses: 31mm, 43mm and 77mm.
    If you can live without AF and with stop down metering (simple button push to meter), some of the earlier K and M series lenses are quite good and inexpensive as well.
    Finally, if you can also forego automatic diaphragms, the M42 Super Takumar and Super-Multi -Coated Takumars have superb build quality and have some real gems, e.g., any 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/4.5.
    Here's an example of the beautiful bokeh of the 50mm f/1.4 Super Takumar.

Tom

_IGP0166 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was seriously considering picking up a K5 I think I narrowed down a "95% Solution" kit to the 31mm, 77mm, and 18-135 super zoom. Another option was to replace the 18-135 for the 50-135/2.8 but I have since just realized that the M9 is still my 95% solution and I can just get what I need a DSLR for out of Micro 4/3...
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    When I had a K5 some weeks ago the35 was my favorite and most used lens. I find the 21 +35 a great combo. And then the 55 for portrait (I have never used it) sounds like a great combo.
    Thanks for your input

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    You might also consider the most highly regarded of the full-frame auto focus lenses: 31mm, 43mm and 77mm.
    If you can live without AF and with stop down metering (simple button push to meter), some of the earlier K and M series lenses are quite good and inexpensive as well.
    Finally, if you can also forego automatic diaphragms, the M42 Super Takumar and Super-Multi -Coated Takumars have superb build quality and have some real gems, e.g., any 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/4.5.
    Here's an example of the beautiful bokeh of the 50mm f/1.4 Super Takumar.

Tom
    Thanks, useful input. I'll check out the 31mm and the 43mm

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    When I was seriously considering picking up a K5 I think I narrowed down a "95% Solution" kit to the 31mm, 77mm, and 18-135 super zoom. Another option was to replace the 18-135 for the 50-135/2.8 but I have since just realized that the M9 is still my 95% solution and I can just get what I need a DSLR for out of Micro 4/3...
    My M8 remains my main camera but it is no good for low light 'event-type' work. I have finally lost patience with my m43rds kit which just has poor low light performance.

Louis

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion is also for 31, 43, 77.
    On the wide side my choice is for the 12-24, even if I'm not a zoom lover.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed that the M cameras aren't the best for low light what I found though was that most of my "preferred combinations" outside of the zooms were just "mirrors" of my M9 kit where I needed something that really took care of the short falls.

Any way I configured a kit it brought me back to the option of faster glass for the M outside of telephoto ability when I looked at cost of a new system. May be different for you though.

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Thanks for your input

Thanks, useful input. I'll check out the 31mm and the 43mm

My M8 remains my main camera but it is no good for low light 'event-type' work. I have finally lost patience with my m43rds kit which just has poor low light performance.

Louis
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

I went with 21, 40 and 70. Ltds I initially got the 21 and 70 but the 40 was such a good buy I got it, but I can see the appeal of the 35mm macro to fit between the other two.
    From my perspective 50mm is too close to 35mm
    I really wanted the 15mm Ltd but several of the guys here put me off it. I actually tried one but it wasn't acceptable to me at the edges at f5.6.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    My suggestion is also for 31, 43, 77.
    On the wide side my choice is for the 12-24, even if I'm not a zoom lover.
    The Pentax 1224 is excellent, quite useable wide open. Its the same optical formula as the 1224 Tokina.