Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Suggestions for 2-3 lens K-5 kit

  1. #1
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Suggestions for 2-3 lens K-5 kit

    I'm thinking again of getting a K-5. Actually, the kit with the 18-55 is not much different to the body only in price in the UK at present so I think I will get that combination.

    However, I really am only a prime shooter. My favourite lengths are 35, 50 and 90.

    Looking through the Pentax lens possibilities it seems like the 21 Limited, the 35 Macro Limited and the 55/1.4 DA.

    Does that seem like sound logic given my preferences?

    LouisB

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Suggestions for 2-3 lens K-5 kit

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I'm thinking again of getting a K-5. Actually, the kit with the 18-55 is not much different to the body only in price in the UK at present so I think I will get that combination.

    However, I really am only a prime shooter. My favourite lengths are 35, 50 and 90.

    Looking through the Pentax lens possibilities it seems like the 21 Limited, the 35 Macro Limited and the 55/1.4 DA.

    Does that seem like sound logic given my preferences?

    LouisB
    When I had a K5 some weeks ago the35 was my favorite and most used lens. I find the 21 +35 a great combo. And then the 55 for portrait (I have never used it) sounds like a great combo.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: Suggestions for 2-3 lens K-5 kit

    You might also consider the most highly regarded of the full-frame auto focus lenses: 31mm, 43mm and 77mm.
    If you can live without AF and with stop down metering (simple button push to meter), some of the earlier K and M series lenses are quite good and inexpensive as well.
    Finally, if you can also forego automatic diaphragms, the M42 Super Takumar and Super-Multi -Coated Takumars have superb build quality and have some real gems, e.g., any 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/4.5.
    Here's an example of the beautiful bokeh of the 50mm f/1.4 Super Takumar.

    Tom


    _IGP0166 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Suggestions for 2-3 lens K-5 kit

    When I was seriously considering picking up a K5 I think I narrowed down a "95% Solution" kit to the 31mm, 77mm, and 18-135 super zoom. Another option was to replace the 18-135 for the 50-135/2.8 but I have since just realized that the M9 is still my 95% solution and I can just get what I need a DSLR for out of Micro 4/3...
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Suggestions for 2-3 lens K-5 kit

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    When I had a K5 some weeks ago the35 was my favorite and most used lens. I find the 21 +35 a great combo. And then the 55 for portrait (I have never used it) sounds like a great combo.
    Thanks for your input

    Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    You might also consider the most highly regarded of the full-frame auto focus lenses: 31mm, 43mm and 77mm.
    If you can live without AF and with stop down metering (simple button push to meter), some of the earlier K and M series lenses are quite good and inexpensive as well.
    Finally, if you can also forego automatic diaphragms, the M42 Super Takumar and Super-Multi -Coated Takumars have superb build quality and have some real gems, e.g., any 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/4.5.
    Here's an example of the beautiful bokeh of the 50mm f/1.4 Super Takumar.

    Tom
    Thanks, useful input. I'll check out the 31mm and the 43mm

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    When I was seriously considering picking up a K5 I think I narrowed down a "95% Solution" kit to the 31mm, 77mm, and 18-135 super zoom. Another option was to replace the 18-135 for the 50-135/2.8 but I have since just realized that the M9 is still my 95% solution and I can just get what I need a DSLR for out of Micro 4/3...
    My M8 remains my main camera but it is no good for low light 'event-type' work. I have finally lost patience with my m43rds kit which just has poor low light performance.

    Louis

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ario Arioldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Suggestions for 2-3 lens K-5 kit

    My suggestion is also for 31, 43, 77.
    On the wide side my choice is for the 12-24, even if I'm not a zoom lover.

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Suggestions for 2-3 lens K-5 kit

    Agreed that the M cameras aren't the best for low light what I found though was that most of my "preferred combinations" outside of the zooms were just "mirrors" of my M9 kit where I needed something that really took care of the short falls.

    Any way I configured a kit it brought me back to the option of faster glass for the M outside of telephoto ability when I looked at cost of a new system. May be different for you though.

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Thanks for your input



    Thanks, useful input. I'll check out the 31mm and the 43mm



    My M8 remains my main camera but it is no good for low light 'event-type' work. I have finally lost patience with my m43rds kit which just has poor low light performance.

    Louis
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    501
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Suggestions for 2-3 lens K-5 kit

    I went with 21, 40 and 70. Ltds I initially got the 21 and 70 but the 40 was such a good buy I got it, but I can see the appeal of the 35mm macro to fit between the other two.
    From my perspective 50mm is too close to 35mm
    I really wanted the 15mm Ltd but several of the guys here put me off it. I actually tried one but it wasn't acceptable to me at the edges at f5.6.

  9. #9
    Senior Member mediumcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Suggestions for 2-3 lens K-5 kit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    My suggestion is also for 31, 43, 77.
    On the wide side my choice is for the 12-24, even if I'm not a zoom lover.
    The Pentax 1224 is excellent, quite useable wide open. Its the same optical formula as the 1224 Tokina.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •