Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Jorgen,

why a problem, you have the D810 and great glass for it, why in all the world switch?

Since I have my D810 I am soon HAPPY - have not been for long time. Hardly can imagine that the upcoming Pentax FF would top it. But you actually should know better

Just my 5c

Peter
    Yeah, yeah... I'm joking. I like the shape of this though, and Pentax ergonomics are in my view a bit better than Nikon's, just a tiny bit. Add to that IBIS and the articulated LCD, and this will probably be a fantastic camera. I'm in the process of buying more lenses for my Nikons anyway, so I'm not a candidate.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My first purchased camera was a Asahi Pentax Spotmatic with the Super Takumar
    50mm.

It got stolen.

If the stars align for me, I might get this one. I am not into sensor design or makes. That is immaterial for me.

Does it allow me to take the kind of pics I want to take? Is it ergo suitable for me?
    Can I afford it?

The other discussions on technical aspects, I read to help me sleep.
    koffee & kamera

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    Yes a lot of ppl forget about that. I'm probably ignorant but I think only Leica is DNG too. Of course Pentax have his PEF format.

Here are the 9 actual FF Pentax lenses who will work with this camera :

FA 31mm f1.8 Limited
    FA 35mm f2.0
    FA 43mm f1.9 Limited
    DFA 50mm f2.8 macro
    FA 50mm f1.4
    DA 50mm f1.8
    FA 77mm f1.8 Limited
    DFA 100mm f/2.8 macro
    DA* 300mm f4

The bold ones are the one I value the most. I worked a lot with the 77 and it is a true gem. The 300f4 is a true gem too, especially in concert. I know the 43f1.9 is a very special lens and I really want it. Hopefully, Pentax prices are good prices. You can expect them to launch at least a wide angle lens to start.
    I almost bought into the Pentax K system about 3 years ago when I was looking at a backup to my Leica M for telephoto uses. It was specifically the 31 and 77 that caught my attention as "world class" lenses no matter the brand. I went another direction due to some strong QC concerns with some of the lenses (16-50 and 50-135) not working correctly out the box through multiple samples (chronicled here and other places) but it wasn't due to IQ potential.

Some of the things I liked about Pentax was the rugged weather sealed bodies, the ergonomics, the native glass to include Zeiss lenses, and many "pro photographer" type features in a consumer prices camera. I hope this camera does well in a crowded field. I'm solidly in the Sony ecosystem at this point (especially if the rumored A9 bodies are released) but I think competition is good for all to push the industry further.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this list! Makes life easier

I never shot the 77 or the 43 but have heard a lot of positive feedback from people who used it. Great that you confirm that too!

But obviously also the new 2.8/70-200 and the 4.5-5.6/150-450 are covering 35mm FF. Both would be fix starters for me, especially the 150-450 as I would need this for wildlife!
    I'm quite ready for FF:
    AF Sigma 10-20 3.5 (covering FF from 12 to 14mm) by my tests on film
    AF- FA*31mm 1.8
    AF- F 50mm 1.4
    AF- FA* 77mm 1.8
    Manual M 135 2.5
    Manual M 200 F4
    Tokina 500mm f8 mirror
    But I recently buy Ricoh GR and I'm looking to see something similar with FF.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. I'm sorry when I say the word "boring" about the sensor. It is because I'm used to CCD, old Cmos and foveon. I'm just a bit tired by this sony thing; I always like more and support outsiders. I like working with a sensor instead of letting the sensor working for me

Many Pentaxians seems also to lose patience. I really hope this camera will be a success.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    The 645 adapter could attract 645 owners wanting some sort of backup being able to use their 645 lenses.
    There has been a 645/K adapter for some time (MF only), and MF 645 adapters exist for many camera systems; I wonder if this one allows AF?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. I'm sorry when I say the word "boring" about the sensor. It is because I'm used to CCD, old Cmos and foveon. I'm just a bit tired by this sony thing; I always like more and support outsiders. I like working with a sensor instead of letting the sensor working for me

Many Pentaxians seems also to lose patience. I really hope this camera will be a success.
    I could not agree more! After it took so long for this FF Pentax to arrive (hopefully next spring), the sensor should be really rather earth shaking and not just another already well known Sony sensor.

IMHO it also is already too late for just another FF DSLR. Pentax should have gone a similar way like Leica and bring a FF mirrorless, mainly because they do not even have a substantial FF lens system for DSLRs. Starting from scratch like Leica did with their SL and a new FF mirrorless lens system would have been a much better idea and for sure made more people interested in investing (back) into a FF Pentax system.

Just my 5c ....

Post Thanks / Like

There is a small update on the camera and two samples that are hard to use for much proof of IQ - http://www.getdpi.com/forum/newreply...1698&noquote=1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim, somehow I feel this doesn't forebode well ...
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The link doesn't work for me, but I found the image here:

http://www.pentax.com/en/pentaxff/

Interesting that Ricoh used film-era FA lenses for this rather than the new D FA or DA.

Post Thanks / Like

The D FA lenses are still top notch, I would say much better than many digital era lens pendents - BUT - this is something nice for Pentax shooters who stayed with their equipment (lenses).

I cannot see many migrating (back) to Pentax now who are nicely settles in either CaNikon camp or even Sony FF.

Interesting to see what will happen to this product, how successful it is and how long Ricoh will watch before they step out of this again - just my 5c.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

In hindsight I think developing another FF DSLR was not a clever move: I'd have liked a FF mirrorless Pentax SL ...
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    In hindsight I think developing another FF DSLR was not a clever move: I'd have liked a FF mirrorless Pentax SL ...
    It's important to remember that the DSLR market is still much larger than the mirrorless market (8.2 vs. 2.7 million units YTD, 31 Oct.). In addition, this will be the only current full frame DSLR with IBIS, unless one counts the 3 years old Sony A99. Add to this the fact that Pentax still has a loyal customer base using K3/5/7 cameras. They are probably competitive with this new camera.

The closest competitor I think will be the D750, and if Pentax has managed to build a more advanced camera than the Nikon but for a similar price... I think it will sell well.

Post Thanks / Like

Some news as the date of yesterday :

http://www.pentax.com/en/pentaxff/
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like there is a bit of movement here in the UK.
    A local Pentax dealer is having an open day in about three weeks time. Made significant because they are going to the trouble of hiring a venue as their shop will be closed for re modeling at the time.!
    Anyone got a couple of grand spare

Post Thanks / Like

Although I am not really in the market for another DSLR this camera is very appealing, mainly because of the small size for a FF DSLR and the advantage to use some great and also small FF FA lenses. If the sensors performs equally good or better than the ones in the K5 or K3 this is a great camera.

Maybe could use it as everyday P&S

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Some more info:

– 36.4MP CMOS sensor. A low-pass-less
    – Realistic resolution (pixel shift)
    – Image processing engine PRIME IV
    – Sensor Size: 35.9 x 24.0mm
    – Video is full HD 60p
    – 4K interval movie
    – 14-bit RAW
    – DR II
    – KAF2 mount (KAF3, KAF2, KAF, KA, there is compatible with power zoom lens)
    – AF sensor SAFOX12. AF point is 33 points (25 points are cross-type). -3EV Correspondence
    – AF assist light
    – Viewfinder magnification 0.70 times. 100% field of view
    – Focusing screen Natural-Bright-Matte III
    – LCD monitor 3.2 inches 1,037,000 dot. Flexible tilting
    – GPS built-in. Wi-Fi built-in
    – Shutter unit of the compact new design. Durability is 300,000 times
    – Shutter speed is 30 seconds -1/8000 seconds. Synchro speed is 1/200 sec
    – Media SD / SDHC / SDXC (UHS-I). Dual card slot
    – USB terminal (USB2.0, micro B), HDMI terminal (type D)
    – Microphone jack, a headphone jack, X contact
    – 5-axis camera shake correction. Shutter five stages of effect
    – Electronic Level
    – Photometry sensor 86000 pixel RGB sensor
    – ISO range is 100-204800
    – Continuous shooting 4.4 frames / sec (full size). 6.5 frames / sec. (APS-C)
    – The number of pictures 70 sheets in the JPEG, 17 shots at the RAW (when full-size 4.4 frames / sec.)
    – The battery is D-LI90
    – Battery life is 760 sheets
    – The body is magnesium alloy and stainless steel. Dust and water. -10 Degrees of resistance to low temperature
    – Size: 136.5 x110 x 85.5mm
    – Weight: 925g

The most interesting part is the upcoming camera will feature 4K video recording and also features 5 axis built in image stabilization system.
    www.achdigital.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Didn't they just discontinue some of the limited series FF lenses? I remember reading this info about the 43/1.9 which was my favourite in the line-up. Plus there seem to be discounts available now for many of the small/prime Pentax lenses. Could it be that the current limiteds are not good enough for the 36MP sensor and may all be discontinued soon? What will remain then, I wonder, of the size/weight advantage of the new body, if it requires new and much bigger lenses (as is now the trend)? Or will Pentax replace the limiteds with improved versions, with similar size and weight? I'll continue monitoring this space from my momentarily safe position on the fence, with special focus on the roadmap that they've signalled together with the K-1 announcement.

Post Thanks / Like

Well still remains to be seen.

I'm just a camera fan of any brand. I think Pentax has to dedicate more time and investment on lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea the specs are cool. Now the Pixel shift tech going FF and thus being more democratized some may say good by to Sigma Foveon advantage. I have seen results of pixel shift technology out of the K3II and, while nobody seems or want to compare, those results exceed Foveon technology AT LEAST by one parsec.

Can't imagine the full RGB IQ out of 36.4 MP Full Frame pixel Shift... It will blow away anything Sigma did... for static subjects. Anyway, Sigma is so slouch that it is made almost only for static subject so...

I think that ppl waiting for a Full Frame Sigma camera might blindly go the Pentax way without worrying that much about the future. Sigma won't revolution the camera industry any time soon. If Sigma make a REAL foveon Full Frame it will be very expensive. The pentax will not be expensive, will give you Dynamic range, accurate focus, video, lenses superior to Sigma (soul), full frame foV and "beyond foveon" IQ with pixel shift.

Ok it will not be a war machine like a D5 and will not have the Canikon lenses line but it will be a superior camera, fo sure.

Lets wait and see samples.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks good. I would buy it if I weren't so heavily invested in Nikon gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would buy it if I weren't so heavily invested in Pentax 645Z gear.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I won't buy it even if I had no camera. This is 10 years too late.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Chagin View Post
    Some more info:
    – The battery is D-LI90
    – Battery life is 760 sheets
    – The body is magnesium alloy and stainless steel. Dust and water. -10 Degrees of resistance to low temperature
    760 sheets, sounds messy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Chagin View Post
    Some more info:

The most interesting part is the upcoming camera will feature 4K video recording and also features 5 axis built in image stabilization system.
    I believe the 4K function is time-lapse recording and output in a 3840x2160 format, not true 4K real time video. That was the approach in the K3 with 4K video.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I would most certainly buy one if I still had all my FF lenses ...
    On paper it seems to be a great camera.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

It do not film with 4K resolution; just full HD. Anyway, on this forum and other forums, who is equipped with 4K screens + have the serious hardware pipeline to pp 4k video ? Not that much at all. So 4K is actually a geek thing if ppl aren't in the industry. Without speaking about the ppl who have 4K able media support such as TV and computers to appreciate those files fully. I'm in the industry, shoot the latest RED.

4K for amateur is actually a lonely planet vastly debated virtually, on forums, but IRL it not yet there at all. Hell... the MAJORITY of ppl you cross in the street or your favourite grocery store do not even have a gear to run my virtual reality. Note that I crafted it on a SEVEN years old computer and yet, many ppl can't run it because VERY low hardware. So 4K ? It is a niche in the niche. Ok, most buyers of IMac (new) will have access to such resolution, either in 21 or 24... but most ppl aren't in MAC.

Industry try hard to democratize 4K (and even try to make us swallow higher rez such as 6K or 8K) but the reality is that ppl aren't yet equipped.

The truth is ppl today use more their phones than a real DESKTOP.

Just my two pecs. Download my virtual gallery and run it fantastic mode. If no glitches then your computer might be actual and have power enough to cope with 4K raw files (and save you some nights of encoding).

https://www.behance.net/gallery/32387485/CRYO
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am so heavily invested in Nikon FF now that this camera comes far too late for me, even if it rings a lot of bells and whistles

4K though is good for one thing - at least you know that your camera has a fast processing engine and pipeline, so this speed will help in general. But I agree that I would not even want to think about all the necessary upgrades I need for a consistent 4K pipeline
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

I am so heavily invested in Nikon FF now that this camera comes far too late for me, even if it rings a lot of bells and whistles

4K though is good for one thing - at least you know that your camera has a fast processing engine and pipeline, so this speed will help in general. But I agree that I would not even want to think about all the necessary upgrades I need for a consistent 4K pipeline
    Same here, to much other gear and my needs are covered but I salute what Pentax performed here; this is very courageous and, like others, I would recommend this camera to every body who have not yet invested into FF lenses and body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The short battery life surprises me. I've shot 2,300 frames with two bars left on the battery display on my D810 two days in a row now, mostly long bursts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The short battery life surprises me. I've shot 2,300 frames with two bars left on the battery display on my D810 two days in a row now, mostly long bursts.
    Yes me too. Those damn Nikon battery last forever. For the pentax I think it is because of sensor stabilisation, more little battery and all the wifi GPS stuff like in he A7R mark 2 toaster microwave nespresso whatever. This might drain a lot of power. If it is the true battery life WITHOUT all the gadget things then it is probably because the battery is weak or at least not on par with what Canon or Nikon use (or simply a badly managed power consumption).

But hey !! We are looking at the first Full Frame digital camera ever created by Pentax, in a crisis period. The Next one will be better we can easily pardon them for the little flaws ESPECIALLY at this price point !!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes me too. Those damn Nikon battery last forever. For the pentax I think it is because of sensor stabilisation, more little battery and all the wifi GPS stuff like in he A7R mark 2 toaster microwave nespresso whatever. This might drain a lot of power. If it is the true battery life WITHOUT all the gadget things then it is probably because the battery is weak or at least not on par with what Canon or Nikon use (or simply a badly managed power consumption).

But hey !! We are looking at the first Full Frame digital camera ever created by Pentax, in a crisis period. The Next one will be better we can easily pardon them for the little flaws ESPECIALLY at this price point !!
    Kind of agree! Especially when one compares this battery life to all the mirrorless camera battery lifes

Post Thanks / Like

Short battery life would really surprise me if it is true. I have K5, K3, 645D, 645Z, and all take the same the battery that is listed for the new FF. Even when using live view battery life is very good. Looking forward to the new camera even if it is "10 years too late".
    It's a tool folks, use it to best advantage. If it is not your type of tool stop moaning and use what you like. You are starting to sound like a bunch of carpenters talking about hammers!
    Another thing that surprises me is the number of women that are producing very good work and are not on these forums discussing the disappointing specs. They seem to be able to use these cameras quite well without all of the moaning.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raycox View Post
    Looking forward to the new camera even if it is "10 years too late".
    So are many others who would not be buying it.

Post Thanks / Like

Some more specification and a probable price :

- Pixel Shift Resolution and HDR hand held thanks to the superior performance of the new SR system.

- Illumination settings (LCD panel, backside controls, lens mount, card slot/connector).

- Automatic detection of panning by the SR system.

- Automatic horizon correction (up to 1 degree with SR on and up to 2 degrees with SR off).

- Viewfinder overlay with AF points, grid display, electronic level, AF frame, spot metering frame and crop.

Price between 1799$ and 1900$.

Sound good He might be launched on market around April, probably the end of April.

It will be a superior landscape camera, probably better then the D810 on some many aspects.

Post Thanks / Like

Some photos of the final beast. Ofc weather sealed like a tank and build like a tank: Magnesium alloy and Stainless steel chassis. Will be the most resilient FF solution of the market.

Last edited by Hulyss Bowman; 17th February 2016 at 03:42.
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Some photos of the final beast. Ofc weather sealed like a tank and build like a tank: Magnesium alloy and Stainless steel chassis. Will be the most resilient FF solution of the market.
    At 925 grams it better be ...
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds really impressive so far. I wonder how many will/can be sold .....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It do not film with 4K resolution; just full HD. Anyway, on this forum and other forums, who is equipped with 4K screens + have the serious hardware pipeline to pp 4k video ? Not that much at all. So 4K is actually a geek thing if ppl aren't in the industry. Without speaking about the ppl who have 4K able media support such as TV and computers to appreciate those files fully. I'm in the industry, shoot the latest RED.

4K for amateur is actually a lonely planet vastly debated virtually, on forums, but IRL it not yet there at all. Hell... the MAJORITY of ppl you cross in the street or your favourite grocery store do not even have a gear to run my virtual reality. Note that I crafted it on a SEVEN years old computer and yet, many ppl can't run it because VERY low hardware. So 4K ? It is a niche in the niche. Ok, most buyers of IMac (new) will have access to such resolution, either in 21 or 24... but most ppl aren't in MAC.

Industry try hard to democratize 4K (and even try to make us swallow higher rez such as 6K or 8K) but the reality is that ppl aren't yet equipped.

The truth is ppl today use more their phones than a real DESKTOP.

Just my two pecs. Download my virtual gallery and run it fantastic mode. If no glitches then your computer might be actual and have power enough to cope with 4K raw files (and save you some nights of encoding).

https://www.behance.net/gallery/32387485/CRYO
    With all due respect, your analysis of 4K video, at least as far as North America is concerned, is simply wrong. Almost 30% of all screen sizes above 50" being sold today are 4K screens. Critical mass is approaching in terms of 4K penetration. 4K is being streamed by Netflix, Vimeo, YouTube and Amazon. Amazon and Netflix are producing original programming in 4K. HBO has been archiving a substantial amount of programming in 4K to "future proof" it.

4K streamed looks far superior to 1080, especially when viewed on 50" displays or larger. Unfortunately, 1080 as shot and processed in all of the DSLRs on the market is quite poor although acceptable to less critical viewers. True resolution typically falls short of what 1080 is capable of delivering. 1080/720 HD quality is also significantly compromised by cable companies and broadcasters with layers of compression/format changes, by the time the signal is delivered to the consumer. 4K specs that are in the works offer some hope of cleaning up the mess the cable and broadcasters have made of HD, with not only higher resolution, but higher dynamic range, freedom from motion artifacts, wider color gamut with 10 bit processing.

Personally, I've been shooting 4K with a GH4 for a year and a half. This entry level (for 4K) product delivers far better image quality than any broadcast 1080 image. This link provides some additional information about why anyone concerned with image quality should be shooting in 4K, even if you intend to distribute the final product in 1080. And FWIW, and unfortunately, 4K processing in the Pentax K-1 is likely to be nothing more than time lapse 4K, also available in the existing K3 series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIf9h2Gkm_U

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wood View Post
    Almost 30% of all screen sizes above 50" being sold today are 4K screens.[/url]
    That actually confirms Hulyss' claim. I don't know how often people change their TV screens, but with less than 30% of new screens above 50" being 4K and hardly any of the screens that people already have, it will probably take at least 5-10 years before there's a sufficient number of screens out there to call it a significant number. Add to that the fact that the overwhelming amount of video captured by amateurs still is 1080 or lower, and there's probably little reason for Pentax to worry about this in what is a camera that is mainly designed to produce stills. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't have preferred 4K in the K-1, but for this camera, it's probably not a deal breaker for very many. There will probably be an "s" or "II" model with real 4K out in a couple of years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That actually confirms Hulyss' claim. I don't know how often people change their TV screens, but with less than 30% of new screens above 50" being 4K and hardly any of the screens that people already have, it will probably take at least 5-10 years before there's a sufficient number of screens out there to call it a significant number. Add to that the fact that the overwhelming amount of video captured by amateurs still is 1080 or lower, and there's probably little reason for Pentax to worry about this in what is a camera that is mainly designed to produce stills. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't have preferred 4K in the K-1, but for this camera, it's probably not a deal breaker for very many. There will probably be an "s" or "II" model with real 4K out in a couple of years.
    US electronics industry trade groups estimate by 2019 45% of US homes will have UHD; 50% by 2020. As I pointed out previously, a major reason for shooting 4K now, is the improved image quality of 4K downrezed to 1080 vs the poorer quality of natively shot 1080.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wood View Post
    US electronics industry trade groups estimate by 2019 45% of US homes will have UHD; 50% by 2020. As I pointed out previously, a major reason for shooting 4K now, is the improved image quality of 4K downrezed to 1080 vs the poorer quality of natively shot 1080.
    I agree that it's a good idea to shoot 4K now. However, most people don't care much about the quality of their videos. Trash in 4K doesn't look better than trash in HD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Red face Re: PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

I agree that it's a good idea to shoot 4K now. However, most people don't care much about the quality of their videos. Trash in 4K doesn't look better than trash in HD
    The same could be said of most people when it comes to still photography, as well. The vast majority of the public can not tell the difference between images created on a $500 camera or a $50K system. OTOH, most of us who frequent photography sites are interested in improving our skills and creating high quality images. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

PPl I know in US are not starving but fight everyday with the smile to keep the ball rolling. Buying into 4K display solution is probably the least of their problems Like in Europe. We all fight the crisis and this year will be even more grey than the last year. So I would like to say that your numbers sound "extremely optimistic", dear Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so while we speak DPR is hot

Some reading for tonight, price confirmed. Very very very well done Pentax.

Here at last: Ricoh unveils the Pentax K-1 full-frame DSLR with 36MP sensor for $1800: Digital Photography Review

Special K? Pentax K-1 First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

A dream come true for every landscape photographers (who can't afford MFDB or 4k display ^^).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very impressive, especially at that price. I wonder if the new 645/K adapter allows auto diaphragm?

Post Thanks / Like

For now I do not know. But I'm actually mesmerized by the specs and the price So efficient, ergonomic and affordable ! For sure Pentax is working on a set of prime and BE sure that third party lenses maker will jump again in the K mount very soon (why not zeiss).

The customizable leds illuminations are the cherry on the top of the cake.

In 6 months / one year this camera will be the bargain of the century.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think that long time Pentax 35mm shooters have finally been well rewarded for their patience and loyalty. It looks like a very capable camera at an exceptionally good price. I know my friend who shoots Pentax is very excited and has already place a pre-order for the K-1. If I hadn't sold all of my Pentax manual focus M-series lenses 20+ years ago, I might have been tempted to buy a K-1 too.

I am surprised at the low price, considering that Ricoh had a largely captive and loyal base of Pentax owners, many of whom have been waiting for this FF DSLR for a very long time. I suppose they figure with a bargain price they will entice a majority of current Pentax users to buy into the FF body and then want/need to buy more FF Pentax lenses to go with it.

I wonder how many new buyers the K-1 will attract to the Pentax brand.

Gary

PS: Nice touch to put a legacy manual focus M-series lens on this promo photo of the K-1. Brings back lots of memories from my Pentax MX system. :-)
    Last edited by bensonga; 17th February 2016 at 18:04.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The best from Nikon D750 and D810 plus IBIS at a price lower than both? Apart from the battery life, and with a few unknowns like image quality and AF, this must be the best DSLR offering at the moment. A highly desirable camera. Looks cool as well if you ask me. Pity it doesn't come in F-mount