The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hanemühle FineArt Baryta 325

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jack and others,

Have you tried the new Hanemühle FineArt Baryta 325? Wondering what your opinion is compared to the Harman Gloss FB AL.

Also, did you see this review on LL comparing the Harman, Hanemühle, and the Ilford Gallerie Gold Fibre Silk:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/baryta.shtml

The Ilford sounds good for the price. Anyone try it?

I am getting some samples of the Hanemühle and some other papers including 3 papers from Monoprint (Rochester series), from Harman the FB Matt and FB Matt Warmtone, and I'm getting some Sihl Baryt 290 to try (for which I have high expectations).

I'll try not to burn it all up and bring some to Moab for you to try.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I haven't used them yet, so cannot comment. I will say this though --- I hate testing papers even more than I hate testing cameras, so when I find that I like, I tend to stick with it until I see some substantive reason to change --- my mantra is if it aint broke, don't fix it :toocool:

As for MR's article, he lost me when he claimed the Harman had a "blue" base. I can assure you it isn't anything close to blue and is in fact warmer --- more buff --- than Epson Premium Luster. (And Harman also has a warm-tone which is even warmer.) Bottom line is if he felt it looked blue compared to the other offerings, they must be *really* warm...

To top it off, I've shown my Harman prints to a variety of photographers, and to a person, they are all impressed with the rendering. In fact, several wet darkroom traditionalists commented that they could barely tell my B&W's apart from a wet B&W print --- to me, that comment speaks volumes :thumbup:

Cheers,

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Yes, I have been using the Harman and the quality of the prints is great. I expect we will see a steady stream of new papers arriving on the market along with improvements in the printers so it will be hard to keep up.