The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider 150/2.8 LS (Blue Ring) : Portrait Character ?

Jamgolf

I wanted to ask those who either own it or have experience with this lens about the bokeh and drawing character of Schneider 150/2.8 LS when compared to something like Zeiss 110/2, when used for portraits.

Is it more along the lines of Noctilux f1 with some unpredictable but characterful bokeh, or is it more like a modern lens with a uniform creamy blur like the modern Noctilux f0.95 or Nikkor 85/1.4?

Its impossible to find many photos captured with Schneider 150/2.8 LS, hence the question.

Photos (or links to them) would be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance !

Last edited:

Jamgolf

The answer to this question is that 150/2.8 has a nice modern creamy bokeh.
It is different from the older lenses such old Walter Mandler designed Noctilux and is more like the new Peter Karbe designed Noctilux.
Not good vs bad, simply different.

Also, this thing is pretty hefty. It’s a force (weight) to be reckoned with.

Does anyone have experience with this lens when used at infinity?
How does it resolve fine detail at long distances?
I don't know whether this is an APO design, how about chromatic abberations or fringing?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Chromatic Aberration control and Sharpness are both exceptional, even wide open. Razor and clean. We have raw files in our catalog for that.

Jamgolf

Chromatic Aberration control and Sharpness are both exceptional, even wide open. Razor and clean. We have raw files in our catalog for that.
Thanks. I tried to get those raw files.
It said a link has been emailed but I never got it (also checked junk folder).

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thanks. I tried to get those raw files.
It said a link has been emailed but I never got it (also checked junk folder).
Just tested with a few emails and all came through but an automated email with a bunch of links can sometimes end up in the email abyss. Just talk to your sales person at DT and they'll make sure you receive the file one way or the other.