The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ4 Tethering

JamesJetel

Hey IQ 4150 havers, have you done any tests on the tethering options?

I’m looking to see what intake timing is for USBC, Ethernet, Wifi. Also best practices powering camera from Ethernet.

Thanks!
JJ

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hey IQ 4150 havers, have you done any tests on the tethering options?

I’m looking to see what intake timing is for USBC, Ethernet, Wifi. Also best practices powering camera from Ethernet.
I'm not posting the times I have recorded because our last thorough testing was done with the previous firmware version and is already out of date. It's also computer dependent. Hopefully some early receivers of IQ4s will post their transfer times - I would encourage them, for posterity, to list their firmware version and computer hardware specs so that someone reading this in a couple years has some idea of what reference point is relevant.

A short non-numerical summary is:
- USB-C is fastest and is *really* fast even with sustained max frame rate shooting. But as with any USB device, the longest cable length can be limiting.
- Ethernet is about as fast as USB3 was on the IQ3. It can go out to around 100 meters (300 feet) in length, and any port that supports Power Over Ethernet (POE) should provide both power to run the back and body, and power to charge the batteries inside each. Currently it requires an ethernet port that can assign an IP address, such as a router (or the "house" ethernet plug in a studio, which almost always leads to a router).
- Wireless raw transfer is pretty slow, but could be highly useful in specific set ups where fast continuous shooting is not required. I also suspect it will be popular for those shooting Sensor+ mode (38 megapixel) as those files are much smaller and will transfer pretty quick.

I suspect wireless will see the most improvement over the coming months, as there is a lot of opportunity to use the direct integration of C1 ("C1 inside") to do things like generate an initial preview(s) and send those to C1 on the computer while waiting for the full raw file(s) is transferring.

earburner

Usb… how fast is your computer...
Ethernet... about 1.5 seconds per full file on the IQ4 150
Wifi… Depending on how good your wifi is... so if you have a 802.11AC access point good enough to sync in the background while you shoot :)

JamesJetel

Thanks, fellas.

I'm looking to streamline the location setup so this is quite helpful to make some decisions.

I was worried about Live View and ES sapping my batteries, since I imagine using that 90% of the time.

narikin

Not done enough tethering as yet, but in the 2 tests, found that the Tether Tools cord supplied in the IQ4 Kit, did not work as reliably as the Anker Pro one I already owned. One was 100% instant, the other only connected after a few goes.

This was USB-C (back) to USB-3 (workstation). I don't have USB-C on my main workstation as yet - I'll buy a PCI card for that soon.

might simply be my machine being funky, (it isn't otherwise) and YMMV.