Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Hi there - amongst all the flooding doom and gloom, I thought this might interest a few people

    Field Report of NEX 5N

    Incidentally Thomas - I would recommend that you don't read this

    Just this guy you know

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Yeah, I read that earlier. Pretty glowing endorsement for the 5n.
    SONY A900
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
    My Site|Facebook Fanpage|

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    I caved but it was before I read it. With the NEX 7 now delayed I decided to sell my remaining NEX 5 and make a 5N + 7 my two body kit. Not exactly cash neutral but.....

    Also, to those looking for the EVF in the US. I ordered mine from DIgital Rev in Hong Kong. Believe it or not even with express shipping it was cheaper than ordering from the US. Oh...and right now in the US, good luck finding one.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I caved but it was before I read it. With the NEX 7 now delayed I decided to sell my remaining NEX 5 and make a 5N + 7 my two body kit. Not exactly cash neutral but.....
    So Terry.....no more m4/3's?

    R

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    So Terry.....no more m4/3's?

    R
    I have both. I had sold all m4/3 last year but when I was invited on a Safari I bought back into m4/3 because the 100-300mm lens made the most sense for me.

    There was always something about the NEX that I liked.....and it nagged at me a bit. The NEX 7 looked like a really cool camera and I pre-ordered it. With the delays and the high ISO kudos that the 5N gets, it seemed worth selling some gear to get it.

    I'm not totally rational with my gear purchases.....but I do enjoy it.

  6. #6
    Workshop Member kuau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Park City, UT
    Posts
    1,071
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    34

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Jono,
    This review confirms the reason I got a nex5n, I also picked up a a CV 25mm and CV 40mm lenses which both perform excellent on the 5n, I also found a slightly used Sony EVF,
    What a great little camera and I can finally manual focus :-)
    No it's not a M9, but for the price and the size, not a bad little setup

    Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

  7. #7
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I have both. I had sold all m4/3 last year but when I was invited on a Safari I bought back into m4/3 because the 100-300mm lens made the most sense for me.

    There was always something about the NEX that I liked.....and it nagged at me a bit. The NEX 7 looked like a really cool camera and I pre-ordered it. With the delays and the high ISO kudos that the 5N gets, it seemed worth selling some gear to get it.

    I'm not totally rational with my gear purchases.....but I do enjoy it.
    Interesting, I am currently rethinking (rebuilding) all my systems and I am pretty close to sell my m43 (EP3 and GH2) and get a Sony NEX7 instead of it. Reasons? I am not so happy with the road M43 is going lately and they also seem not to be able to keep up with their promises on high speed primes.

    Yes I know that 1.8/45 is fast, but for me not as high speed as I would like. And when using my M glass on M43, it is too much crop for me, wit the NEX7 it would be only 1.5. Plus the NEX7 seems to come closest to a real M setup, which of course is also appealing.

    And finally, I could start practicing to get more used to an EVF, as I am still not able to really accept it, but as the NEX7 EVF is rumored to be the far best out today (and from the specs it is), that should be ok.

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    I'm not defending m4/3 here (since I will also own NEX) but while f1.8 may not be fast enough for you but it is interesting because in terms of fast primes m4/3 is better than some more established dslr systems with

    12 f2 (24)
    14 f2.5 (28)
    17 f2.8 (34)
    20 f1.7 (40)
    25 f1.4 (50)
    24 f1.8 (90)

    Unless you plan on using Zeiss Alpha glass, NEX is pretty far behind with the fastest lenses being 24 and 50. The only other primes are the 16 and the 30 macro.

    Panasonic is supposed to release a more full featured camera in a few weeks. Rumors were at first that it had a new built in EVF and then rumors that it didn't. M4/3's is also working on two fast primes to be the classic 24-70 and 70-200 equivalents.

    Given all of this I really don't understand the comments on the direction of m4/3

  9. #9
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Maybe I should have elaborated more on this:

    Fast means for me 1.4 or 1.2. Anything else is just normal. So I could use my fast M glass for this, but then again NEX is better suited, because it has less crop - at least for me.

    Anyway I am not arguing that M43 is bad, by no means, but maybe just like you I want sometimes also try different scenarios. In that regard time seems to have come.

    Last comment: there are (were) promises for long time that M43 (and also 43) will get faster glass (as of my definition), but till today most has not come true and will happen only very slowly. I live now, I make photos now, so simply tired of waiting any longer ....

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    IMO the 45/1.8 is really a nice step in the right direction.
    Lets not forget though that the DOF atf 45mm/ f1.8 is comparable to the DOF of a full frame 90mm lens around f4.0...or on a DX sensor a 50 or 55mm lens at f2.8!

    The 45/1.8 is a great step forward for m4/3 IMO because it is the first m4/3 (besides third party) lens which lets one get a nice blurred background, even though it is still not something what you can get with a f1.4 lens and a larger sensor.

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    IMO the 45/1.8 is really a nice step in the right direction.
    Lets not forget though that the DOF atf 45mm/ f1.8 is comparable to the DOF of a full frame 90mm lens around f4.0...or on a DX sensor a 50 or 55mm lens at f2.8!

    The 45/1.8 is a great step forward for m4/3 IMO because it is the first m4/3 (besides third party) lens which lets one get a nice blurred background, even though it is still not something what you can get with a f1.4 lens and a larger sensor.
    The 25mm f1.4 or 0.95 do the trick as well.

  12. #12
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    IMO the 45/1.8 is really a nice step in the right direction.
    Lets not forget though that the DOF atf 45mm/ f1.8 is comparable to the DOF of a full frame 90mm lens around f4.0...or on a DX sensor a 50 or 55mm lens at f2.8!

    The 45/1.8 is a great step forward for m4/3 IMO because it is the first m4/3 (besides third party) lens which lets one get a nice blurred background, even though it is still not something what you can get with a f1.4 lens and a larger sensor.
    Sure, I agree, a step in the right direction. But I would call we have arrived if it would be a 1.4/45.

  13. #13
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    45mm actual or effective? The 25mm is 590mm effective.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    45mm actual or effective? The 25mm is 590mm effective.
    on which sensor is that Uwe?

    Peter
    If you want limited depth of field . . . . . . then you need a full frame camera (or MF) - it simply isn't sensible to be getting hold of a small sensor camera (even if it's 'big small'). f1.4 lenses are going to be big (even on m43 or NEX) which rather destroys the point . . . and still won't really give you limited depth of field.

    Of course, you can use your M glass on a NEX . . . but why not use it on an M9?

    Especially as you don't like the Sony colour . . . . which the NEX range seems to have consistently used.

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    I have been planning to get a NEX to be used with my manual lenses and as a compact travel camera. However, I would very much like it to have a VF and not just back telly. So I was waiting for the NEX-7, but after what happened to the Thai factories, we seem to be limited to C3 and 5N as long as even they are on stock. I'm just wondering whether the 5N is really worth the pretty substantial price difference compared to the C3? Especially considering the clicking issue. Admittedly the 5N can use an external EVF, but I find the idea of an external EVF somewhat disturbing and would definitely prefer the built-in of the 7. Oh well...

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    I have been planning to get a NEX to be used with my manual lenses and as a compact travel camera. However, I would very much like it to have a VF and not just back telly. So I was waiting for the NEX-7, but after what happened to the Thai factories, we seem to be limited to C3 and 5N as long as even they are on stock. I'm just wondering whether the 5N is really worth the pretty substantial price difference compared to the C3? Especially considering the clicking issue. Admittedly the 5N can use an external EVF, but I find the idea of an external EVF somewhat disturbing and would definitely prefer the built-in of the 7. Oh well...
    Well, the external viewfinder on my NEX5n is firmly screwed to the camera - it works really well, feels firm, and (I think) looks pretty cool as well. Like the rest of us, I'd rather have the NEX 7, but this camera is fast and produces really fine images.

    Just this guy you know

  17. #17
    Senior Member Amin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Very positive review, indeed. If I remember correctly, he didn't like the NEX-5 at all. For Reichmann, an eye level viewfinder is a must. Other than that option and video capability, there's very little difference between the 5N and the 5 with latest firmware update.

    I decided to save myself $300 and downgrade from the 5N to a barely used C3.

  18. #18
    Workshop Member kuau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Park City, UT
    Posts
    1,071
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    34

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    I pre-ordered the nex 7 to, though right now I am quite happy with my 5n + EVF which as Jono pointed out works very well, looks cool and it screws down onto the 5n.
    IQ is very good..
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    on which sensor is that Uwe?

    Peter
    If you want limited depth of field . . . . . . then you need a full frame camera (or MF) - it simply isn't sensible to be getting hold of a small sensor camera (even if it's 'big small'). f1.4 lenses are going to be big (even on m43 or NEX) which rather destroys the point . . . and still won't really give you limited depth of field.

    Of course, you can use your M glass on a NEX . . . but why not use it on an M9?

    Especially as you don't like the Sony colour . . . . which the NEX range seems to have consistently used.

    all the best
    Sorry the following to be off topic:
    Over the last days I shot around a little more comparisons (with g3,M9,A900 and S2) and the M9 + M-glass produces a smoothness regarding bokeh and overall look which I just like a lot. The M9 images really shine in this regard.
    So I also come to the conclusion that for "bokeh"-lovers and shallow DOF shooters the M9 does very very well.
    However I have to say even though I am used to rangefinder I find it easier to frame with a nice slr viewfinder (or EVF) than a rangefinder.
    With the rangefinder you need to use more the imagination vs with the other viewfinders you really better see what you get.

    I am also at the point that IQ of many camera is so god today that maybe the different user interface and lens options make a bitter difference than just IQ of the sensor when deciding for a system.

  20. #20
    memories
    Guest

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    ...
    If you want limited depth of field . . . . . . then you need a full frame camera (or MF) - it simply isn't sensible to be getting hold of a small sensor camera (even if it's 'big small'). f1.4 lenses are going to be big (even on m43 or NEX) which rather destroys the point . . . and still won't really give you limited depth of field.

    ...
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    ....
    However I have to say even though I am used to rangefinder I find it easier to frame with a nice slr viewfinder (or EVF) than a rangefinder.
    With the rangefinder you need to use more the imagination vs with the other viewfinders you really better see what you get.

    I am also at the point that IQ of many camera is so god today that maybe the different user interface and lens options make a bitter difference than just IQ of the sensor when deciding for a system.
    +1

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    I had some time playing with my friend's NEX 5 and Leica adapter the past couple of weeks ... from the sound of it, the NEX 5n is a huge improvement.

    Right now, between the NEX 5 and GXR-M is no comparison: the GXR-M is a much better performer for my interests with better controls, focusing, customization, etc. I'll have to try a NEX 5n and compare it to the Ricoh myself, it's the only way I'll be able to suss them out.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Amin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    If you want limited depth of field . . . . . . then you need a full frame camera (or MF) - it simply isn't sensible to be getting hold of a small sensor camera (even if it's 'big small'). f1.4 lenses are going to be big (even on m43 or NEX) which rather destroys the point . . . and still won't really give you limited depth of field.
    They may not meet your standard of what constitutes "limited DOF", but they give more shallow DOF than f/1.8 lenses, and of course they also allow 2/3 stop faster exposures.

    The same argument could be made re: 90mm Elmarit vs 90mm Summicron. To one person, the additional lens speed and DOF control is worth the added bulk and expense. To another, they are not. The availability of such choices makes a system richer!

    For me, the Oly 45/1.8 DOF control is sufficient, and the lens is perfectly compact .

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Right now, between the NEX 5 and GXR-M is no comparison: the GXR-M is a much better performer for my interests with better controls, focusing, customization, etc. I'll have to try a NEX 5n and compare it to the Ricoh myself, it's the only way I'll be able to suss them out.
    You'll need to borrow one for a bit - it really is customisable, but it's a bit unconventional, and takes a while to get your head around.

    Just this guy you know

  24. #24
    Senior Member douglasf13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    When I want shallow dof in a small package, the Notion 35/1.4 is my choice on Nex. I rarely shoot below f2 on a 135 sensor, so it works for me without much adjustment to my approach.

  25. #25
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    When I want shallow dof in a small package, the Notion 35/1.4 is my choice on Nex. I rarely shoot below f2 on a 135 sensor, so it works for me without much adjustment to my approach.
    Never heard of a Notion

    I was shooting the NEX5n with the 35 summarit and the hawks helicoid adapter today - such fun (apologies if you've seen this elsewhere) - take from about 8"


    Just this guy you know

  26. #26
    Senior Member douglasf13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Ha, Notion! I scored one of these HP Touchpads for $99 bucks, and the auto spelling correction is driving me nuts. iOS does a better job at this.

    Hawks helicoid is the best!

  27. #27
    Senior Member Amin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    When I want shallow dof in a small package, the Nokton 35/1.4 is my choice on Nex. I rarely shoot below f2 on a 135 sensor, so it works for me without much adjustment to my approach.
    Wish I hadn't sold that lens. They cost so much more now than they did back when I bought one!

  28. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    In theory, the NEX 5n sounds like a great camera. I checked it out at Sony Styles the other day. As much as I wanted to love the camera, the ergonomics i.e., menu-driven/ single dial control interface is too awkward. If it was a snap to adjust f/stop, shutter, and ISO, I'd bite the bullet and purchase the camera with the optional EVF. I am more interested in the NEX 5n sensor than the one in the NEX 7.
    Bob Rosinsky
    Lakeland, Florida
    www.topdogimaging.net

  29. #29
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1117

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Quote Originally Posted by BobDavid View Post
    In theory, the NEX 5n sounds like a great camera. I checked it out at Sony Styles the other day. As much as I wanted to love the camera, the ergonomics i.e., menu-driven/ single dial control interface is too awkward. If it was a snap to adjust f/stop, shutter, and ISO, I'd bite the bullet and purchase the camera with the optional EVF. I am more interested in the NEX 5n sensor than the one in the NEX 7.
    +1

    I have a C3, and I love the IQ. But the camera rarely gets used. I can't get to grips with the interface. I often switch between format, color, b &W, camera jpeg, and raw and I can't store custom settings for this. But the same is true for my a55, also a pain to change things on the fly.

    Keith

  30. #30
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Luminous Landscape on NEX 5n

    Quote Originally Posted by BobDavid View Post
    In theory, the NEX 5n sounds like a great camera. I checked it out at Sony Styles the other day. As much as I wanted to love the camera, the ergonomics i.e., menu-driven/ single dial control interface is too awkward. If it was a snap to adjust f/stop, shutter, and ISO, I'd bite the bullet and purchase the camera with the optional EVF. I am more interested in the NEX 5n sensor than the one in the NEX 7.

    HI Bob
    Having spent a few hours customising the camera, I find it pretty good to use, the single dial is fiddly, but it does the aperture properly in A mode (which is mostly what I use).
    I've got the custom button set up to do WB ISO focus type and the other dial pushes for exposure compensation and AE lock.
    I don't use the menus much at all
    Of course (see Keith's post) if you're changing back and forth with jpg settings then it is a fiddle - and the menus are irritatingly unconventional (I can never remember whether format is in camera or settings!).

    Still - I'm finding the setup to be really good, and with a little trouble it works really well.

    Just this guy you know

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •