Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A7R - time to buy some glass!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7R - time to buy some glass!

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Guy, I'm sure you'll have the camera in your hands for a while and be quite sure before you make such a jump. Between the FF Nikons and the Sony A7R, the biggest difference for me is the "crispness" of operation. Not sure I am expressing this correctly. The D800 and D800E are just more responsive in an almost intuitive way, whether it is in focussing, pushing the shutter button, clicking on a lens etc...yes, intangible, but a big difference in use for me.

From an IQ standpoint, I think either will work. What I loose in lens availability in the Sony, I gain in portability, meaning, I have the camera with me most of the time, and especially when I am not expecting to be shooting.

Looking forward to your experience.....as long as I don't have to spend more money

Yea exactly my thinking I have to see how this feels. My other issue is I am dead tired of lugging **** after 40 years my back is totally shot. I have to eat four advil just to play golf. LOL

I agree though the IQ is equal or better, its the functionality but here is where i am very adaptable. i can adjust to just about any camera but I do need certain things in place. Firmware Im not worried about some of hess minor things as i think Sony will address that soon.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thedigitalbean View Post
    Jag, I am starting to come to a similar conclusion, except the 50 Noct though, it is a f'ing brilliant on the A7r but my usage pattern is different from Lloyd, I want to photograph people in low light, handheld (not landscapes on a tripod). I wouldn't put any wide Ms on there, but I did get a 90 'cron APO to try out. I decided to get both the 35 and 55 based on how good the reviews are with it.
    I hear you, the 50/.095 is a special lens and was extremely difficult to part with when I sold my Leica kit. The main issue I have heard of, all second-hand, is more exagerated CA. I did have CA with the M9, but not to the point where i could not easily correct it. Interested to see how your experience is.

My other favourite lens in this category is the Canon 85 1.2. Again, a lens that was hard to part with. A different look, but DOF was similar to the Nocti for a fraction of the price, great colours and sharpness. I may go back to one of these on the A7R, although I am not sure how the focus-by-wire will work without any power to the lens with most adapters.

In any case, you already have these M-lenses, so it's a no brainer to use them with an adapter.

Now if I could find an adapter to get me Rodies on the A7R.........Hmmmmmm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    I hear you, the 50/.095 is a special lens and was extremely difficult to part with when I sold my Leica kit. The main issue I have heard of, all second-hand, is more exagerated CA. I did have CA with the M9, but not to the point where i could not easily correct it. Interested to see how your experience is.

My other favourite lens in this category is the Canon 85 1.2. Again, a lens that was hard to part with. A different look, but DOF was similar to the Nocti for a fraction of the price, great colours and sharpness. I may go back to one of these on the A7R, although I am not sure how the focus-by-wire will work without any power to the lens with most adapters.

In any case, you already have these M-lenses, so it's a no brainer to use them with an adapter.

Now if I could find an adapter to get me Rodies on the A7R.........Hmmmmmm

Ooohhh the Rodies with a shift adapter, oh boy!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The issues that Diglloyd reports were similar to what I saw in testing M lenses on the A7R. As also has been reported, lenses have far less issue with color cast (smearing may still be there for ultra wides of certain sorts) with the A7, so despite the amazing resolution of the A7R, I went with the A7 as it plays better with the lenses that i have. The shutter slap vibration issue seems real to me, plus 36 mp is hard to hand hold stably without pixel level blurring, even at reasonably fast shutter speeds. All in all, I figured that the A7 would be a beter bridge camera until such a time when Sony releases a body with leaf shutter and/or in body stabilization (if they elect to do the latter at all, which I have questions about)....I do feel that if using native lenses (at this time 35 and 55 FE, eventually the SCZ 24-70), the A7R would be a great match and a solid choice, but with adaptability of M lenses in particular, to keep the bulk down, the A7 does just fine...I have now put on about 1000 clicks on my A7, and I find it to be a real pleasure to use, with IQ to boot...

To demonstrate why I didn't go for the A7R, here's a sample image from a recent grey day, shot with the 50 lux asph on the A7R....

Fairly heavy vignetting, and edge casts can be readily seen, even for me and my slightly color blind eyes.
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Totally agree Ashwin. Of course, you could stick a piece of film on the end of a coke bottle and create great images, some great recent posts from you out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Guy, I'm sure you'll have the camera in your hands for a while and be quite sure before you make such a jump."

Anyone want to start a poll? How many weeks, days, hours, etc.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone wanna bet at 4 K. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently, Lloyd Chambers thinks the 55mm FE does not suck.

Considering this is a brand new system from Sony, I am very impressed.

If they come out with a body that can replace my D4, which I think is unlikely, I will be hard pressed to think of a reason to keep my Nikon gear.

Maybe I can get rid of everything except my D4 and a couple of sporty lenses?

More realistically, I hope a high quality wide angle is on tap for 2014.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ashwin
    Can you show us the same shot with the a7? That would be important for me. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    The issues that Diglloyd reports were similar to what I saw in testing M lenses on the A7R...

To demonstrate why I didn't go for the A7R, here's a sample image from a recent grey day, shot with the 50 lux asph on the A7R....

Fairly heavy vignetting, and edge casts can be readily seen, even for me and my slightly color blind eyes.
    Is this vignetting 'really' such a big deal? With a 6X polariser on my Nocti on M9/MM I get the same vignetting - most of it to do with the fact that shooting wide open in daylight makes it compulsory to use a ND filter ...

takes me all of 2 seconds to correct for this in LR or Aperture...am I missing something here??

Cheers
    Pete
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Ashwin
    Can you show us the same shot with the a7? That would be important for me. Thanks.
    And the same with a M240 with lens detection off.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Is this vignetting 'really' such a big deal? With a 6X polariser on my Nocti on M9/MM I get the same vignetting - most of it to do with the fact that shooting wide open in daylight makes it compulsory to use a ND filter ...

takes me all of 2 seconds to correct for this in LR or Aperture...am I missing something here??

Cheers
    Pete
    Could be a big deal if you take the picture at 800 iso.
    To recover the two stops of vignetting, this implies you accept to go to 3200 iso for the borders and corners
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Daure View Post
    Could be a big deal if you take the picture at 800 iso.
    To recover the two stops of vignetting, this implies you accept to go to 3200 iso for the borders and corners
    Please help me here...Why would I be using 800 ISO and a 6X ND filter???

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was just answering to the very first part of your post :
    "Is the vignetting really such a big deal"
    Apart of that, i have never had sort of vignetting with ND or Pola filters.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Daure View Post
    Apart of that, i have never had sort of vignetting with ND or Pola filters.
    You should try some of those filters and some lenses to understand that. Don't go be any hearsay. Nowadays, a lot of it is down right ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    "Guy, I'm sure you'll have the camera in your hands for a while and be quite sure before you make such a jump."

Anyone want to start a poll? How many weeks, days, hours, etc.
    Whoa! I almost took the bait.....just looked at the B&S and realized I saved some money

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think Ashwin said he took this with 6stop ND. The last couple of posts seem out of context unless I'm missing something.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, no 6 stop ND filter. The is not only vignetting, but also color shifts within the vignette...the fix in LR is not so simple...trust me, I have tried, and the easiest reliable way is Adobe's flat field plug in.....there are some ways to use LR's GND filter and adjust temperature and saturation, but after a while, I tire of that sort of editing....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One lens that seems perfect for the A7 and perhaps also the A7r, is the little Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 zoom. It has a very fast constant max aperture of 2.8 and on my Canon FF it performs as well if not better than the L 24-105mm F4.

Its big advantage is that it is the smallest F2.8 zoom ever made for FF (at least to my knowledge). It has the same dimension as the native Sony 28-70mm offered in kit with the A7, although that last one is much slower :

Length 92mm against 95mm for the Sony. Diameter 73mm and filter size 67mm, both like the Sony. It weight 510gr. against 425gr for the Sony, but has a shorter near focus distance (33cm against 40cm), a slightly max focal length (75 instead of 70) and is two stops faster at the long end.

It has a non rotating filter mount, like the Sony, but you can't retouch focus when in AF mode.

Any one tried that on its A7 ? I have this lens in Canon mount and if I eventually get an A7, that would be a nice lens to use with it if it performs well.

Here is what Photozone says about it

Edit : After rereading their review, I think that they are a little too harsh on the optical IQ. I bought that lens after reading a very good review of it in Chasseur d'Image and it performs well in the corners too when stopped at F4. Going with what they write at the end, they had a slightly decentered copy and that may account for Photozone rather harsh evaluation of the optical IQ.
    Last edited by Annna T; 22nd December 2013 at 03:19. Reason: Added a link

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What would be nice for us newbie Sony A7r users is a simple spreadsheet that tells us which lenses are OK for use on the A7/A7r cameras. Maybe collate the information on the legacy glass that's out there and let us know what to avoid, what's middling, what's excellent.

A sticky post here would be marvellous.

I don't know, what do you think?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wuffstuff View Post
    What would be nice for us newbie Sony A7r users is a simple spreadsheet that tells us which lenses are OK for use on the A7/A7r cameras. Maybe collate the information on the legacy glass that's out there and let us know what to avoid, what's middling, what's excellent.

It is a great idea in principle but will not work.

Look at this thread where Ashwin is saying that the 50/1.4 Asph plus A7R is horrible. What is your experience? Raymond Chuck has posted fantastic shots at infinity with a 50/1.4 pre-asph plus the A7R. There is quite a bit prejudiced evaluations at the moment, which in my opinion will become irrelevant in the coming days and weeks. After that, perhaps a collation would be significant.

Also, one big factor is sample variation with Leica lenses. They are there and there are less than optimal samples traded around.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Vivek. It still would be useful to have such a table but with critical objective comments.

For example I just tried out my Rigid Summicron from 1956 or 1957 on the A7R. I would avoid shooting at f/2 as it shows quite a bit of vignetting for that aperture. All others seem fine and I didn't see any corner smearing.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Vivek. It still would be useful to have such a table but with critical objective comments.

For example I just tried out my Rigid Summicron from 1956 or 1957 on the A7R. I would avoid shooting at f/2 as it shows quite a bit of vignetting for that aperture. All others seem fine and I didn't see any corner smearing.
    K-H, When it comes to leica lenses, it seems like a sticky issue. When a Canon FD 24mm lens bought for less than a price of a Leica lens cap and images shown (brilliant ones, I might add), there is no issue. So, I am for non Leica lenses as I see there will be less controversy. Hope, I make myself clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    It is a great idea in principle but will not work.

Look at this thread where Ashwin is saying that the 50/1.4 Asph plus A7R is horrible. What is your experience? Raymond Chuck has posted fantastic shots at infinity with a 50/1.4 pre-asph plus the A7R. There is quite a bit prejudiced evaluations at the moment, which in my opinion will become irrelevant in the coming days and weeks. After that, perhaps a collation would be significant.

Also, one big factor is sample variation with Leica lenses. They are there and there are less than optimal samples traded around.
    I can't argue as I don't have enough information, so I'll bow to your wiser judgement.

The 50 Lux ASPH looks great on my A7r

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's a great idea, can we have a volunteer step forward...shuffle, shuffle, shuffle....2000 people stepping backwards.... Lee!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Yeah, no 6 stop ND filter. The is not only vignetting, but also color shifts within the vignette...the fix in LR is not so simple...trust me, I have tried, and the easiest reliable way is Adobe's flat field plug in.....there are some ways to use LR's GND filter and adjust temperature and saturation, but after a while, I tire of that sort of editing....
    The little big Sony's 'faults' with certain M lenses shot wide open for me are tiny compared to its strengths. I think as a body only camera - it is the best value ever delivered by any maker ( so far)

All the best
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Lee, there is a thread on this already, and the information is nice and concise so far.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/495...enses-a7r.html

Would be great to see more observations posted there, IMO.