Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with A6000

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with A6000

I took a look at DxO's info on three rather different Sony cameras: A6000, a77 and a900.

The A6000 is as good as the a900 in everything but dynamic range, for which it is a full f-stop ahead! So much for the quaint idea that the industry has made little progress in recent years in sensor performance - now we have an $800 Sony APS-C camera with 2009 full-frame performance - a terrific result.

It is also handily better than the a77 which suffers an SLT-induced hit, but is really a low ISO camera.

Sony A6000 versus Sony SLT Alpha 77 versus Sony Alpha 900 - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

It's also basically an even match for Nikon's D7100 - a $400 more expensive camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post
    I took a look at DxO's info on three rather different Sony cameras: A6000, a77 and a900.

The A6000 is as good as the a900 in everything but dynamic range, for which it is a full f-stop ahead! So much for the quaint idea that the industry has made little progress in recent years in sensor performance - now we have an $800 Sony APS-C camera with 2009 full-frame performance - a terrific result.

It is also handily better than the a77 which suffers an SLT-induced hit, but is really a low ISO camera.

Sony A6000 versus Sony SLT Alpha 77 versus Sony Alpha 900 - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

It's also basically an even match for Nikon's D7100 - a $400 more expensive camera.
    Yes but smaller sensors still can't make up for smoothness of tonality transitions or the benefits of having a larger sensor. I don't doubt the A6000 sensor is an excellent one for a second. I really like the Sony "formula" that they apply to their sensors. They produce the most "CCD-like" CMOS sensors on the planet.

As for DXO it's good to have metrics on some level but some of the lower rated sensors like say the M9's CCD literally blows away every other FF sensor when it comes to look in the images just like many CCD MF sensors blow away the D800 despite being rated lower by DXO. Live view and high ISO are great to have for sure but so are images that pop with minimal PP.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I still have a need to have one APS sensor in my bag. Having my 135 1.8 become a 200 1.8 for podium type work plus being quieter than my A7 is priceless for me and best of all its cheap. I need one by next Tuesday so trying to come up with the cash for it now. Nice thing I can buy it local at a variety of stores. Having rented it already it does play nice within my current system. Now just need C1 support for it which will come but I can get by with ACR for a bit.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

LOV with the A6000 + Rhinocam + Mamiya 645 150mm f/3.5 N. Eight shot stitch, 159 MP file.

Original Image
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, when you rented the a6000 did you use the ZA 135/1.8 with it? How did it balance: was it front heavy and did you use a tripod? Which adapter did you use? How was the focusing: could you spot focus on fast focus or was it a wider type of focus?

I held one today at Pittman Photo in Miami. It was as light as a feather so I am not sure it would handle the constant weight of the ZA 135/1.8 and the Sony 70-200/2.8G.

Thanks for the input.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Today I made 5 high res panos (170 MP each) at the arboretum using the A6000+Rhinoflex+80mm f/2.8 Hasselblad Planar. Each pano was stitched from 8 images using AutoPano Pro 3. The reduced size pano images below are each accompanied by a 100% screen grab and a link to the original full size image.

Original

100% Crop

Original

100% Crop

Original

100% Crop

(Nice over/under bazooka )

Original

100% Crop

Original

100% Crop

Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

i must say i was very surprised by the AF speed of the 16-50mm. it wasnt so long ago when AF motor is the bottleneck even with faster AF detection/processing.

Post Thanks / Like

Any idea how well the the a6000 tracks and focuses on objects approaching the photographer?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Today's walkabout theme was puddles. A6000 + 16-50 PZ.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikalWGrass View Post
    Guy, when you rented the a6000 did you use the ZA 135/1.8 with it? How did it balance: was it front heavy and did you use a tripod? Which adapter did you use? How was the focusing: could you spot focus on fast focus or was it a wider type of focus?

I held one today at Pittman Photo in Miami. It was as light as a feather so I am not sure it would handle the constant weight of the ZA 135/1.8 and the Sony 70-200/2.8G.

Thanks for the input.
    Mikal sorry I missed this and got your PM as well. I never got the chance to try the 135 1.8 on the A6000 . I used the A7 and my assistant used the A6000 with the 55mm 1.8 which looking at what he did it kept up pretty well with tracking. Im still in the belief its faster with the adapter than the A7 as I did try the a6000 with the 85mm playing around and it seemed to track very well. The trick I learned on tracking is you need to start with your subject with the middle center area than press half way and continue to hold and shoot as the subject is coming at you. You cannot lift your finger off it and try it off center. So lets say runway model coming at you your best to set her with middle center point and lock it in than as she moves towards you it will track her even if it jumps out of center of the AF points and stay with whatever AF points you have but you must maintain the half press to continue the tracking.

I use the Sony 4 adapter with the translucent mirror in it. I would imagine this combination with still beat your A900 in AF tracking . The 135 is heavy for sure nice on the A7 with grip handheld which I am setting up for a model today and plan on using that and the 85
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, thank you.

Mikal

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Garden scene with the A6000 + Hasselblad 80mm Planar on the Rhinocam. Cropped from an 8 image stitch done with AutoPano Pro3.

Original
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Three more 8 shot panos taken in Upper Buttermilk Gorge today. A6000+Rhinocam+Hasselblad 80mm f/2.8 Planar.

Original

Original

Original
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm loaded for bear in the morning. A6000 135 1.8 on monopod doing podium shooting. Let's see how this baby does.

Post Thanks / Like

Please tell us how and if the baby behaves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm shooting right now. It's a kick in the pants. Monitor brightness is kind of low. I bumped it up +1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Went to sunny setting. Much better . I'm indoors in fairly low light. Ballroom stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Tripod or no tripod. I am interested in how it feels handheld.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Handheld so far and I'm really liking this little thing. Shooting my 20 2.8 and 28-70 as well . Going to switch to sigma 35 and the 55 here in a bit. Doing grip and grin stuff with flash without flash. Giving it a run. Using A7 as well there like twins in a lot if ways. For 650 bucks not sure you can get much better for the money. But I need to see how noise is and such. Shooting at ISO 1000 right now . Tommorrow morning is why I bought it the 135 is a 200 with a APS sensor and 24mpx. A7 in crop mode is what 12 mpx. So I'm hoping this is a advantage. AFC is cool as ****

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=scho;584392]Three more 8 shot panos taken in Upper Buttermilk Gorge today. A6000+Rhinocam+Hasselblad 80mm f/2.8 Planar.

Carl:
    The water may or may not look a little funny in these pictures. I can't tell in my MBP screen. I can't download the original files as I'm connected this week via my iPhone.

But, all these pictures are really beautiful, truly top notch. For these kind of pictures, I don't see why would someone need to spend 35K. Detail is amazing!

Congrats, I'm sold.
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Update out if the a7,A7r and the a6000. The little tike has the least shutter lag. Also works better with my Sony 43 flash. It's instant firing

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quieter than the 7 series as well.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Uaiomex;584411]
    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Three more 8 shot panos taken in Upper Buttermilk Gorge today. A6000+Rhinocam+Hasselblad 80mm f/2.8 Planar.

Carl:
    The water may or may not look a little funny in these pictures. I can't tell in my MBP screen. I can't download the original files as I'm connected this week via my iPhone.

But, all these pictures are really beautiful, truly top notch. For these kind of pictures, I don't see why would someone need to spend 35K. Detail is amazing!

Congrats, I'm sold.
    Eduardo
    Thanks Eduardo. I was dealing with constantly shifting lighting and varying shutter speeds that affected water blur.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Would you say the CF glass is up to the task? I mean the high density of the A6000 sensor. Or the A6000 is overkill for CF glass?
    Eduardo

[QUOTE=scho;584456]
    Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post

Thanks Eduardo. I was dealing with constantly shifting lighting and varying shutter speeds that affected water blur.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Uaiomex;584474]Would you say the CF glass is up to the task? I mean the high density of the A6000 sensor. Or the A6000 is overkill for CF glass?
    Eduardo

No problems with resolution using the A6000 and MF Hasselblad Zeiss lenses. Even higher resolution using the A7r, but that requires removal of the ground glass preview part of the rhinocam. Only real problem is color shifts at the edges of the first and last frames shot in portrait orientation when doing 4x2 shots. I can correct it OK in LR, but just another step added to the workflow.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=scho;584476]
    Would you say the CF glass is up to the task? I mean the high density of the A6000 sensor. Or the A6000 is overkill for CF glass?
    Eduardo

No problems with resolution using the A6000 and MF Hasselblad Zeiss lenses. Even higher resolution using the A7r, but that requires removal of the ground glass preview part of the rhinocam. Only real problem is color shifts at the edges of the first and last frames shot in portrait orientation when doing 4x2 shots. I can correct it OK in LR, but just another step added to the workflow.

I'm lost Carl. What do you mean by removing the groundglass? And why? Also, I think the A6k sensor is more dense than the one in the A7r, thus requiring sharper glass.
    Eduardo

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Uaiomex;584485]

I'm lost Carl. What do you mean by removing the groundglass? And why? Also, I think the A6k sensor is more dense than the one in the A7r, thus requiring sharper glass.
    Eduardo
    There is a ground glass screen on the rhinocam that is used for previewing and composing the pano, but the A7r hits this unit when trying to mount the camera on the rhinocam so it has to be unscrewed and removed first.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Now that you mentioned it. How does the A7 work with the Rhino made for the Nex? Since the A7 sensor is bigger I believe that fewer (but longer) shifts should be needed to cover the entire "super" 645 reach of the Rhino. Have you written Vizelex if they plan a dedicated Rhino for the A7? Or it's not needed?
    Thanks
    Eduardo
    Last edited by Uaiomex; 21st May 2014 at 09:50. Reason: Accidental duplication

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Now that you mentioned it. How does the A7 work with the Rhino made for the Nex? Since the A7 sensor is bigger I believe that fewer (but longer) shifts should be needed to cover the entire "super" 645 reach of the Rhino. Have you written Vizelex if they plan a dedicated Rhino for the A7? Or it's not needed?
    Thanks
    Eduardo
    You can use the A7r with the preset shift stops, but there will be more overlap. I haven't contacted them about a unit for the A7, but I think others have and the response was that the NEX unit works well enough with the A7, except for the mounting problem. I don't know if they plan on making another one for the A7, but I doubt that they will.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Uaiomex;584485]

Eduardo
    Here is a comparison shot using the Hasselblad 80 mounted directly to both the A6000 and A7r. Shots at both f/4 and f/16, ISO 100, self timer, tripod mounted. All of the images I've posted above have been at f/16 using the A6000. Might be some diffraction loss, but trade-off for DOF.

Overall shot, focus was on the bird feeder to the right.

A6000

A7r

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quicky here and I had to process in ACR which i do not use this program very much . So Im guessing at my settings with regards to noise. But this was the A6000 with Sony 4 adapter and my 135 1.8 sony A lens shot at ISO 1000 1/125 at F3.2 which I did have to bump my exposure a little . Lets call it on the save side ISO 1250 effective. This is exactly why I bought the A6000 was for the reach of my 135. This looks pretty good right now until I get it all set up in C1 but Im on the job right now so I gotta get this correctly. BTW This is tungsten light and not white balanced either. Looks pretty darn clean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is my settings in ACR. Anyone have a suggestion for ACR let me know with High ISO and the A6000. This was my stab at it in a real quick hurry today as i had to process about 300 of these at this ISO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW Im really liking this little camera. Never thought I would say that but it performs very nicely for the money and If I can put my neck on the line with it than either Im a moron, crazy or just really confident. You pick but there is a lot of money involved on a 3 day shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy

I use similar settings but found that I like a sharpening radius of either 1.0 or 1.2 for the A6000 depending on the subject.

I have the Sony A7r and found the A6000 easy to adapt to and use.

The main difference that I make between the two in the settings is in the sharpening radius.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great I'll try that . I was pretty close than working from a laptop it's a little tough

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw I use .6 in C1 for the A7r

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just thinking this maybe the nicest little grip and grin cam around. What do folks think of a 16-50 DT lens for it. Guess I would need a Sony adapter. Would I use my Sony 4 adapter. Btw the Sony 43 flash although a little big works very well with it. I have the kit lens and it's okay but would like something better that covers like 24-70 area

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, so the weight wasn't an issue with the 135/1.8? Sony has no plans to introduce a vertical grip for the a6000 but could the hand holding experience of the camera with the long heavy lens like the 135/1.8 be improved with one?

What is AFC?

Thanks.

Mikal

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Auto focus continuous. Handheld with the 135 is big but the adapter helps a lot with holding in your left hand. Now its a big rig but not bad. But I'm coming from big cams too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I may spring for it considering I don't have the coin for a new A mount that will run close to 3k. Plus I will be able to carry it as a travel camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Job done and going through everything today but I will just flat out say it , your nuts not to get one for the misly 650 dollars. This thing is damn nice. Shooting low light podium work is a nightmare and not many cams handle it well in regard to motion , noise and just output quality. I am amazed how good this was. I also tried every AF mode and just about every way to shoot it. I adjusted my AF lens adjustment to +10 for the 135 and seems to be good for the 85 as well. Cool part is the advantage of the crop factor. i can take these high speed lenses and get more reach from them with not buying bigger , heavier and expensive 200 mm zooms which are not my style anyway. For PR work and this event stuff which I do a lot of this in the corporate world 24mpx is more than enough to deal with. Im really impressed here and the A6000 is a awesome second camera to have onboard and the quality of file is not lacking IMHO at all. So with that the A7 is going on the block, for me it does a great job but it sits between many styles of work. I think I am better served grabbing a A77II and the A6000 for all this event style shooting. I just need a nice zoom and probably just get the 16-50 DT zoom with the A77II which with my adapter I can use it on my A6000 as well even though I have the kit lens which is not worth selling but Im going to sell the 28-70 2.8 Kit from the A7 which I just bought two weeks ago but really don't need it if I go this route. I will still have my A7r and all my Sony A glass to adapt to it plus my 55 and still get the 24mm F2 ZA when my Zeiss sells. So i will still have my powerhouse and use the A6000 with it and with the A77II. It just will go in both kits and i get a nice little travel cam and honestly the A6000 maybe all you need for travel. Even with a shitty raw processor with ACR the files look great so I think I am making the right call here and if a A99II full frame 54 mpx hits the streets than I still have my A glass. My key thinking since i bought the FE cams was buy the A glass in case I need to make a switch. They are the fastest in speed and excellent quality and i can use them on DT cams, FE cams and A cams. Bodies are replaceable , lenses are not. I still at the end of the day reduced size and weight over my Nikons and the 85 and 135 are world glass along with my Sigma 35mm 1.4 and the Sony 24mm ZA F2

Seriously folks go buy one or rent one try it out and see. May not be the most durable machines but for the money its hard to beat. For me it paid for itself in less than a day shoot. Thats amazing ROI

Not sure i could give a better endorsement for it. To me end of day no matter what workaround or fiddly crap i have to deal with means nothing but IQ is what it is all about. Another way to put it is I am not a pansy when it comes to working a camera as none of them are perfect but if i get excellent results thats all I care about and so do my clients.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW i had the noise level on low since i was shooting Raw and jpegs here because i was just not sure of the raw processing yet since not supported by C1. But don't do that as I noticed on playback the low noise setting was degarding the image at 100 percent viewing so hard to tell sharpness. Once i turned that off I found it much better to see what I was actually getting. I did keep the sharpness at Plus 1 in standard mode for jpegs though as that helps a little. But seriously the jpegs are a little noisy out of the cam like this at ISO 1250. So just need to be careful if your a jpeg shooter. I am not normally but there are times when I have too. Just really need to watch your setting with in camera jpegs. Best advice as always shoot RAW but you all know that. With my settings above ISO 1250 at least cleans up really nice in ACR and I can deliver some really nice looking files to my client. I shot all the podium work with the A6000 which equals about 1600 images over 3 days. Thats a chunk and it held up really nice again everything was shot around 1/125 at F4 or so at ISO 1250 with a 135 1.8 effective 200mm on a monopod which I always use for this stuff. If you don't have a monopod its the cheapest way to save 3 stops of effective shutter speed TRUST me on this one. It also serves as nice security guard. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is one shot at ISO 1250 at 1/100 th at F4.5 processed in ACR.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Here is one shot at ISO 1250 at 1/100 th at F4.5 processed in ACR.

great stuff Guy - that's mighty impressive for an $ 600 APSC ..
    (and at the risk of getting clobbered again .. i think your dislike for ACR is showing ..)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL

Its actually doing a good job its just clunky software BUT i can get by no problem.

The cam for 650 dollars just might smoke a lot that cost a heck of a lot more.

Post Thanks / Like

the only nice thing about ACR is that it leads directly to Photoshop ..
    and yea! that little A6000 ...it smokes some real big cams!
    i had a brief 30 min test drive of the A6000 and the A7 (btw, i own a D800e) .. have decided to get that little dynamo and bypass the A7 (my Leica R and C/Y Zeiss will have to wait a while)
    also waiting for the rumored MF version from Sony and Fuji ..
    very exciting times!

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, thank you. You give the a6000 a much better recommendation than you did the a7 and a7R. I think I will pass on the A77II because it isn't my cup of tea. If Sony cranks out an ultra high mega pixel A mount camera body I may, just may take a leap. Then again, since I don't get paid for my work, I should buy what I can afford.

Thank you.

Mikal

Post Thanks / Like

I would still like someone to shoot spots with the a6000.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here did not want to leave the 85 1.4 ZA lens out. Shot this one handheld so effective 135mm. Shot ISO 1250 1/125 at 3.2

Handheld with a decent size lens. Pretty easy to hold this cam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikalWGrass View Post
    I would still like someone to shoot spots with the a6000.
    You should rent it. I think I rented it for 4 days for like 63 dollars at lens rentals. I think folks like me should recommend this more often as i think getting it in your hands is the way to go after you looked at all the specs. and trying on what to do.

Take that back 41 dollars for 5 days

LensRentals.com - Rent a Sony Alpha a6000