Site Sponsors

Thread: A7rII - Viewfinder/Monitor Switching

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A7rII - Viewfinder/Monitor Switching

Ok this may seem hugely petty but the one thing that drives me to distraction with both the A7 and now the A7II is the inability to switch between the viewfinder and the LCD with a single button push. Shooting waist level with the viewfinder/monitor setting set to Auto is impossible since the moment you bring the camera within about 4 inches of your chest it switches to the viewfinder. Yes you can use the menu but that is a serious pain. I have heard that with the A7RII it is now possible to assign this to the fn menu. Has anyone got any experiences to share on this and how well it works?

As I say - petty. But after two days of switching between waist level and viewfinder without any degree of control I suddenly realised that if the A7RII can alleviate this nightmare then quite apart from any of the other advantages/improvements then this alone might be sufficient to consider an upgrade.

Any experiences or am I alone in this?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7rII - Viewfinder/Monitor Switching

So far it seems to be better than the previous A7's. I have to say that the problem can be solved by sticking a small piece of electrical tape over about a third of the sensor above the EVF

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have read about that and tried it but it may be that I am too clumsy or stupid to get this to work. I actually bought some of the lcd dimming things on Amazon, shipped from America but can't get them to work on my A7II. I simply don't understand the premise behind this. If you cover too much of the sensor then it seems to me that it automatically assumes (if a sensor can assume) that the camera is being held to an eye and in which case the monitor doesn't work at all. Covering 1/3rd of the sensor just doesn't work for me - sometimes I think there is a bit of an improvement and then I bring the camera too close to my body and it switches to the viewfinder and won't switch back however far away from me I hold it. I really wish I could get that simple trick to work - but I must be doing something wrong since others report success.

Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    So far it seems to be better than the previous A7's. I have to say that the problem can be solved by sticking a small piece of electrical tape over about a third of the sensor above the EVF

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As I posted here: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/544...ye-sensor.html , black tape works. Experiment with the size to adjust the level.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

THanks, possibly I just needed to read your original post again. A few weeks ago I spent hours playing around and getting nowhere. Now I, sceptically, went back and experimented by inching (or rather millimetering) the tape across and finally found a spot where it does seem to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    As I posted here: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/544...ye-sensor.html , black tape works. Experiment with the size to adjust the level.