The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

16-35mm Inconsistent edge performance from shot to shot

Amin

Based on what you've found so far, could be the IBIS or OSS. I think more likely the latter since you've not seen this with other lenses.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Interesting, Tim, but for full info I'd have to subscribe, a big no no for me.

With IBIS tuned off, and camera located on a sturdy tripod, manual focus- i.e. treating A7RII and 16-35mm combo in a similar way as I would use MF digital - then the issue seems to go away. Then its just a very good camera lens combo that renders MF redundant :thumbup:

I guess as Lloyd suggests, there must be a downside to the sensor moving to correct pitch and yaw, meaning the sensor may not be parallel to the plane of focus. That would not be a fault, simply an downside to IBIS.
There's no full info yet in any case - Lloyd tends to put up headline stuff when he notices it as a heads up that he intends to investigate further, but it struck me from what he writes that it sounds very similar to what you're seeing and I think that pitch/yaw hypothesis might have something in it. I'll let you know if any more stuff comes up.

Slingers

This might be irrelevant to your problem but I have an e mount tamrom zoom with vr(OSS) that I have removed the baffle off. Because it doesn't quite cover FF I see the lens stabilisation moving around. Recently I was travelling and sometimes the stabilisation would get stuck. I had to change the zoom, then focus, and change back. I have tried to replicate now I'm home but can't so I suspect it might be heat related as it was hot at the time and now I'm home it's too cold in Australia at the moment.

iiiNelson

Actually it could be FC with a varied focal point. You see this all the time with WA on the Sony, if the focus is dead center the edge will show soft or "smeared", but if you focus just a tad before infinity the DOF at f/8 will bring in the edges.

It's why I hate AF on the Sony cameras with a passion, and the lack of a hard infinity stop is.....grrrrrr. :banghead:

I had this happen on the nex-5n and that nice little 10-18 all the time.
Put the camera in manual mode and you will get a visual meter of where infinity stop is.

iiiNelson

That's a good tip, I did not know that :) Is that true on all A7 models?
Yes. I only have the original A7 and A7R as of now. This is specifically for native FE lenses with focus by wire. In short when you turn the focus ring a digital meter will appear in the EVF (or rear LCD I believe as well) showing "where" you are in the focus range.

Quentin_Bargate

Put the camera in manual mode and you will get a visual meter of where infinity stop is.
Its a bit rough and ready. I have also noticed when using MF that you can focus quite a long way beyond infinity ("to infinity and beyond!").

Better than nothing, but not great.

Its a pity all Sony lenses are not like their excellent 90mm macro G OSS, which has the best of both worlds - full autofocus, and a clutch that allows you easily to switch to good old fashioned manual focus, with a distance scale engraved on the lens barrel. That's so much better than the electronic approximation of distance on the screen in MF mode.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Its a bit rough and ready. I have also noticed when using MF that you can focus quite a long way beyond infinity ("to infinity and beyond!").

Better than nothing, but not great.

Its a pity all Sony lenses are not like their excellent 90mm macro G OSS, which has the best of both worlds - full autofocus, and a clutch that allows you easily to switch to good old fashioned manual focus, with a distance scale engraved on the lens barrel. That's so much better than the electronic approximation of distance on the screen in MF mode.
Minority opinion: I'm glad they're not! The main advantage is that remain as small and light as possible IMHO.