The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7sII

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree they really should give us the R2 in a 24 MPX package. At around 1900. I would buy it as my backup cam for sure and really my PR cam as I certainly don't need 42mpx here.

uhoh7

I'm a stills photographer. Can't see a reason to upgrade.

LouisB
Sony is video centered in so many of their choices with all these cameras and the native lenses. I just wish they would focus on making one model with the still features and performance as priority 1. Some major housekeeping would help, like making more critical features mapable. e.g. EVF/LCD toggle on body. IBIS on/off.

They are so ADD. Brilliant features alongside old testament menus and lossy RAWs. Drives me crazy :LOL:

But the low light performance of this camera is ground breaking, to put it mildly.

80% of that performance in a 18mp body, really finished, how nice would that be?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If there is another A7s (3?)and if it is 4K, it will still have a 12mp sensor.
Correct. If the main purpose is to shoot 4K, increasing to 16mp is only a disadvantage; smaller pixels and the need to crop the sensor.

Does anybody know if it can shoot 4K and use IBIS at the same time? I can't find it mentioned anywhere.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Overheating.

4:2:0 Color Space internally.

Waveforms Vectorscope variable position focus and a more robust codec will keep the Atomos and CD Odyssey in play for serious video.

Bob
Bob, I think you nailed it.

Nobody has said anything yet as no cameras have shipped yet, but my money is down on the same internal over heating problems for anything but short clips the A7R II suffers from. The A7S II is basically the same sensor let's not forget that ran too hot in the current A7S to record 4k internal. If 5 min clips are all you want, that may not be a problem. For real production though, another option is still going to be necessary.

I can also say with certainty that comes from doing it that there is a big difference trying to capture and grade 8 bit 4:2:0 and working with 10 bit Prores 422. I had not expected the difference would be as dramatic, but the Assassin 4k files are worlds more robust and "thicker" than the 1080P that comes out of the camera. The fact that it is all a color calibrated workflow is also nice. The color is bang on, without that red channel boost the internal 1080P always seems to have. Once you start pushing those fat 4k files around there is no going back either... you get hooked quickly.

I've only had my Assassin for a week now, but after working with it the first shoot there was no way I will ever go back to just the camera rear screen unless I am out street shooing and need covert cover. Working with that big honking 7" 1080P HD monitor makes it easy for folks to spot you, but it also makes focus checking cake, and since it will use a LUT, actually seeing what your lighting, focus, and colors look like as your shooting is a real dream. My only regret is I waited this long, I should have bought the Shogun when it came out, but hard to justify the cost. The Assassin is all I need, and a great accessory for any video shooter at $1,300 in the US.

I'm crossing my fingers that Sony has been able to keep the new camera cool enough to go for half an hour at a time, and if they have I will be looking to get one. If the video isn't flawless and reliable though, I am just as likely to spend less money buying a bargain basement priced lightly used second A7S and a second Assassin for my B camera rig.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm crossing my fingers that Sony has been able to keep the new camera cool enough to go for half an hour at a time, and if they have I will be looking to get one.
Chuck,

Offloading the 4K seems to make a huge difference on camera temp ... not running the chip in overload mode.

I was shooting in 102F this summer and my CD Odyssey 7Q+ was over 60C and giving me warning signals but
the A7s was fine. The CD did not shut down and the files were fine but is was hot enough that you did not want to touch
it.

Matt Allard has a first look here: http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/09/11/ibc-2015-a-detailed-look-at-the-new-sony-a7s-ii-camera/

S Log 3 and better color similar to the A7R II and a base ISO at 1600 will make the camera very appealing...however the new FS5
really is a better camera and is about the price of two A7s and Assassins ... and it does 10 bit natively.

Bob