The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony's new camera A9

Pradeep

Has anybody tried using the Smart remote control with the A9? I did and it is very basic does not allow moving the focus point by touch as in the A7RII or the Rx1R2. Sony has taken away the remote control app from the camera and you now only have a basic controller although you still go through the Playmemories Mobile app.

One of the great features of the Smart Remote is that it allows advanced wireless control of the camera without tethering it through a laptop. The best part of this is the ability to pick a point in the scene to focus on while viewing it on your iPhone. Very useful when you are watching wildlife. sadly I cannot figure out how to do this with the A9. Have enabled DMF and flexible-spot focus, AF with shutter etc, to no avail. :mad:

iiiNelson

I don't think this is remotely representative of what the GFX is truly capable of in capable hands but this sort of cements the ability (or lack thereof) of "The Angry Photographer" and his image making abilities. Mind you I realize anyone can take a bad picture because some days you just "don't have it" but these are extraordinarily bad IMO. He was shooting locally (to me) last week with Jason Lanier who seems to not even be trying hard at all in their shoot out.

https://youtu.be/tOC-VRfCt0Y

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I tried it. It's good. With the grip, it's very good. They've cleaned up the ergonomics in a way that makes it easy to recognise for people coming from DSLR cameras or a Panasonic. For sports and action, I wouldn't use it without the grip, but the grip is so well integrated that it doesn't feel like something that's been bolted on.

It seems to be flying off the shelves at my pusher's, mostly to well heeled hobbyists, but those are always first in line anyway. When the R version arrives, Nikon has to do something, preferably before it arrives. It will be a killer.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I tried it. It's good. With the grip, it's very good. They've cleaned up the ergonomics in a way that makes it easy to recognise for people coming from DSLR cameras or a Panasonic. For sports and action, I wouldn't use it without the grip, but the grip is so well integrated that it doesn't feel like something that's been bolted on.

It seems to be flying off the shelves at my pusher's, mostly to well heeled hobbyists, but those are always first in line anyway. When the R version arrives, Nikon has to do something, preferably before it arrives. It will be a killer.
Thanks for this update. If these positive words come from someone like you who is very critical about Sony, this is a great sign the camera is really a hit. :D

Not sure that Nikon will be able to top a future A9R by any means. The A9 in combination with the A9R would tick all my boxes for a camera system, especially since there are meanwhile very good native FE mound lenses from Sony (Zeiss) and the number is constantly growing.

What currently keeps me from buying the A9 is only price :banghead:

iiiNelson

Thanks for this update. If these positive words come from someone like you who is very critical about Sony, this is a great sign the camera is really a hit. :D

Not sure that Nikon will be able to top a future A9R by any means. The A9 in combination with the A9R would tick all my boxes for a camera system, especially since there are meanwhile very good native FE mound lenses from Sony (Zeiss) and the number is constantly growing.

What currently keeps me from buying the A9 is only price :banghead:
Well keep in mind a barebones premium Micro 4/3 camera is going for $2K. The Canon and Nikon equivalent competitors are going for $6k+.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well keep in mind a barebones premium Micro 4/3 camera is going for $2K. The Canon and Nikon equivalent competitors are going for $6k+.
I have a feeling that the price will drop quite a lot within a year. Although the Nikon and Canon "equivalents" are 6K, they are totally different beasts with a huge amount of lenses out in the market. Sony may have to buy their way into this. I do assume though that they have quite healthy margins on the A9. They can probably afford to sell it cheaper if they have to.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have a feeling that the price will drop quite a lot within a year. Although the Nikon and Canon "equivalents" are 6K, they are totally different beasts with a huge amount of lenses out in the market. Sony may have to buy their way into this. I do assume though that they have quite healthy margins on the A9. They can probably afford to sell it cheaper if they have to.
If the price drops like with the A7R2 it should be 50% cheaper in some 18 months :eek:

fotografz

I'd tend to agree with this. One other thing Sony faces is the "Hammer Nails" reputation of the Canikon pro beasts.

- Marc

k-hawinkler

In USA the A7RII price has dropped about $500 in 2 years so not really 50%. Not even the A7 is at 50% yet 4 years later.
So if we assume the A9 drops $1000 in 2 years from US$4500 to US$3500 that would amount to an average loss of US$42 per month. Hmm, quelle horreur! :facesmack:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
So the A7RII is going for ~1920 euros now?
No, but have seen offers for around € 2200.- see links below ....

Attention Required! | Cloudflare

https://www.e-infin.com/eu/item/267...be5IduUqq99dcbnekSXqOvd1_QDudYHJXRBoCLvvw_wcB

https://www.eglobalcentral.at/sony-...M4hM3HEp9-HZgMJSd5A9VC1DUevjSurITlxoCjZnw_wcB

And even at Amazon.de you can get it meanwhile fr €2549.-

https://www.amazon.de/Sony-ILCE7RM2B-CEC/dp/B010THXVNQ

So hey, Sony A9 now €4500.- in maybe 18 months €2700.- ??? There is hope, although I would prefer that prices stay a bit more stable.

iiiNelson

No, but have seen offers for around € 2200.- see links below ....

Attention Required! | Cloudflare

https://www.e-infin.com/eu/item/267...be5IduUqq99dcbnekSXqOvd1_QDudYHJXRBoCLvvw_wcB

https://www.eglobalcentral.at/sony-...M4hM3HEp9-HZgMJSd5A9VC1DUevjSurITlxoCjZnw_wcB

And even at Amazon.de you can get it meanwhile fr €2549.-

https://www.amazon.de/Sony-ILCE7RM2B-CEC/dp/B010THXVNQ

So hey, Sony A9 now €4500.- in maybe 18 months €2700.- ??? There is hope, although I would prefer that prices stay a bit more stable.
Maybe the laws are different in EU but stateside gray market gets you no warranty or official support so I don't really consider that a viable option for myself. Your level of acceptable risk for expensive electronics may be different than mine and yes the ~2600 euros pricing through Amazon is about in line with stateside pricing with warranty (~$2700 USD) but again this is pricing after nearly 2 years so I'd say that pricing is fairly stable. For comparison you can often get gray market 1DxII's for ~$4500-5000 in the USA but I don't personally consider that a viable option either even if the camera is "bulletproof."

V

Vivek

Lowest i have seen was from e infinity on ebay. They offered (just briefly) it for €1850 shipped.

Now it is ~€2050. They make a profit on this.

This gives an indication of the prices in Asia.

It was a price drop of the A7R2 with about +40% in Europe.