The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

image rights authorization infringement

eikkon

Hello guys,

I'm a french photographer, and I made a shooting with the brand from Chris Brown Black Pyramid.
the model posted some photos from the shooting (with the credits)on instagram
Chris Brown instagram's profile, published 3 of them, framed them and didn't put the credits ...

I contacted them to ask for the credits, and instead of answering they blocked me ???
Weird behaviour from my point of view for a community manager.

I contacted Instagram for this, and they removed the photos.
But as I'm not sure if I will leave it like that, thinking about options to make him to respect photographers works. Or not.
As I don't live in the USA, don't know if it worth.

The photos were liked by more 100000 peoples and his instagram is a huge one.

Screenshot_20170721-152738.jpg

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
So you want to teach somebody a lesson? Somebody who probably isn't very willing to learn? What do you want to be, a teacher, a lawyer or a photographer? If you want to have a life, get over it. Take more good photos, show them to people who care. Lost marketing opportunity? Well, fine, but fighting it will cost you more, emotionally as well as financially than you can ever regain through the fight.

jdphoto

If you were contracted to shoot this for CB, then you have a reason to bitch. However, if you just used your own model who wore the T-shirt, then I'd say your best bet is to use it for your own portfolio. You could promote the photo by saying it was used on CB's instagram site. Many photographers use known name brands to shoot their own unauthorized versions as spec jobs for their portfolio's. You could have watermarked the photo in a lower corner to drive traffic to your website.

eikkon

If you were contracted to shoot this for CB, then you have a reason to bitch. However, if you just used your own model who wore the T-shirt, then I'd say your best bet is to use it for your own portfolio. You could promote the photo by saying it was used on CB's instagram site. Many photographers use known name brands to shoot their own unauthorized versions as spec jobs for their portfolio's. You could have watermarked the photo in a lower corner to drive traffic to your website.
No it was not a contract from him.
Well I watermarked my photo but he cropped it to remove it
To do it 3 times with my photos even when I warned him by email that there are mine ....

paulgrundy

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of your case it would be a big mistake to pursue them in the courts.

If a presence on Instagram is important to you then going forward you should stop using products in your shoots from companies that do not credit photographers.

And start using products in your shoots from companies that do credit photographers.

Paul

jdphoto

Or...just put together your own "spec" portfolio and only send to those whom you want to work with. Many photographers think there work is protected once created, but go to DP Review read what Richard Prince does with his instagram show and his use of "transformative works"

https://www.dpreview.com