The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wim Wenders on photography and on polaroids

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Wenders, too, now regards photography as a thing of the past. “It’s not just the meaning of the image that has changed – the act of looking does not have the same meaning. Now, it’s about showing, sending and maybe remembering. It is no longer essentially about the image. The image for me was always linked to the idea of uniqueness, to a frame and to composition. You produced something that was, in itself, a singular moment. As such, it had a certain sacredness. That whole notion is gone.”

He sighs and rubs his eyes. “The culture has changed. It has all gone. I really don’t know why we stick to the word photography any more. There should be a different term, but nobody cared about finding it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...s-instant-stories-photographers-gallery#img-4

He's not a complete novice. In addition to being a photographer himself...

Wim Wenders | Galerie

... he made this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgd3ZDtx8lg&t=15

An some other movies.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Must be true!
I had expected a stronger statement from you, Vivek :ROTFL:

It's all his opinion of course. I'm more along the line of "Photography is dead, long live photography". It has changed, and it will change more. Not all is for the good, but it's not all bad either. There's no doubt though that technology is becoming an increasingly important part of photography, and while the two have always been walking hand in hand, much of the technology that is involved has little to do with the creation process, but a lot to do with how we distribute, store and "see" photos.

Interestingly, the technology has also, probably unintended since it isn't inherent, made photography more volatile. With old technology, people kept their images in a drawer, simply because it was seen as a value and because there was no point in throwing them away. With modern, handheld devices, the photos disappear once the new model of the device is being launched, partly because images have become so numerous that the value of each photo has decreased, and partly because storing images over time requires knowledge about a technology that changes by the hour, and also involving cost, as opposed to the space in the drawer, which was mostly free.

V

Vivek

Jorgen, If you keep looking at any issue with only one filter, you get to see what you want to see. Have you lost any of your unique daguerreotypes or silver gelatin prints?

Have you ever recovered images from damaged storage media, costing a pretty penny?

Have you heard of “nitro” films getting lost because they tend to go up in flames?

It isn’t all simple. You should resist getting influenced by simplistic lines of thoughts.

jdphoto

partly because images have become so numerous that the value of each photo has decreased

I totally agree with that sentence...supply and demand.