Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica User Forum

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Leica User Forum

Okay I don't normally start flame threads on any forum I belong to. I think it's somewhat pointless most of the times but I know a lot of people here have more experience over there than I do.

Is it me or do a large number of those people seem to have an inferiority complex. I just visited there after getting tired of looking at the newsletter from last week in my email inbox and I noticed I had a few photo comments. I don't mind having my photos being critiqued (in fact I prefer it as it presumably helps me to become a better hobbyist photographer.) For the love of God though, is it too much to ask for mature constructive criticism only? Do I really need to know other people's sociopolitical stance (on a photography forum) in relation to a particular photograph (the same one in my gallery here with a picture of a gun.) Do they really think I care enough about them to change how I feel? I guess this isn't so much a post to be negative of LUF, after all that's how I found this great place, but it wouldn't be a bad thing for some of the people over to play in traffic on a busy 12 lane highway during rush hour... just my opinion.

*Okay maybe that's a bit harsh...
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica User Forum

That's the internet for you.

A dollar to a donut ... that forum and a few others is why this one exists ... at least in some part.

Guy and Jack are the antithesis of some people over there ... and it's apparent in the intelligent and forthright manner which members of this forum exchange information and even disagree. It's civil and mutually respectful in tone and manner, and seems to be staying that way.

When I found out this forum had been formed, I purged the LUF and the p.net Leica forum out of my bookmarks bar and threw confetti in the air.

Just my personal opinion.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I could add maybe a novel here on that but lets leave it at the cliff notes for now. First and foremost is photography and the pursuit of it is to learn , share and bottom line have fun. Than the ultimate goal is to produce art and anything outside those lines is BS. Even as a commercial shooter that does this for pay at the end of the day we should love what we do. In that vein is why there is a GetDPI.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When I first bought my M8 I was over there all the time trying to dig up some Leica wisdom. It didn't take long for me to realize that while there may actually be some wisdom planted in there, the amount of compost and rocky soil makes it too difficult to harvest. I haven't been back there in months and actually feel better for it. I don't think there's a single question regarding photography that I couldn't get answered right here in GetDPI-land.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I went there originally to get some information on the D-Lux 3 and the M8 which I thought about saving up for at some point. I stayed around for information on the D-Lux 4 and figured I'd upload a few shots over there. I just happened to go there a few hours ago and saw people had left me comments. One was favorable and the two others were very immature and were not necessary in any way.

That said I'm very happy this forum exists. I tell most of my friends interested in photography to check it out and it's one of the tabs automatically generated when I open Firefox.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

crazy as it may sound, i do go there from time to time. after a while you get a thicker skin and the popcorn eating icon starts to make sense as you watch the soap opera unravel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It seems to be a problem that hits all forums as they get larger, and it's unfortunate that it has now hit LUF. IMO it is a product of uncontrolled and/or poorly managed forum growth, and frankly something I hope we never have here...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Never will bud and we have the light switch. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    crazy as it may sound, i do go there from time to time. after a while you get a thicker skin and the popcorn eating icon starts to make sense as you watch the soap opera unravel
    I have pretty thick skin actually but I really don't have time for nonsense when it comes to invading what I consider my "personal space." Like I said I can take constructive criticism but when I get the maturity of an 11 year old from an adult consistently enough I tend to be "turned off."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Similar problem/question came up on New Scientist recently in their Last Word column. The print mag had a selection of the responses, some of which are quite illuminating -- look at Net Rage:

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/lastword/
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    Similar problem/question came up on New Scientist recently in their Last Word column. The print mag had a selection of the responses, some of which are quite illuminating -- look at Net Rage:

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/lastword/
    If nothing else, read the 18th post in that series ... and be sure you don't have a mouth full of coffee when you do ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HAHA, Thanks for the tip. I stopped a couple entries before that gem.
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How true! It has become a clique of narcissistic a**h****
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

mind your language, laddies
    Last edited by Bob; 31st March 2009 at 08:03.