The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Politics and camera gear

jdphoto

I'm curious if any photographers here are influenced by politics when considering camera gear purchases?

darr

I'm curious if any photographers here are influenced by politics when considering camera gear purchases?
I recently pulled the trigger on a new 6x17 panoramic film back after waiting for a used one that never showed up. I did this because the trade war with China was in the news and I feared I would not be able to purchase directly from the Chinese manufacturer if I needed to. I am glad I purchased it and it was a positive buying experience. I have looked again for a used one weeks after I received the new one and there are none from the particular manufacturer showing up on the used market; a niche product indeed. At least the model + manufacturer of the one I purchased is.

I learned a long time ago to leave passionate political discussions to others. But I do understand business and how a trade embargo could have affected what I was trying to acquire. It definitely caused me a bit of anxiety.

Kind regards,
Darr

Shashin

I recently pulled the trigger on a new 6x17 panoramic film back after waiting for a used one that never showed up...
I am looking forward to seeing some of that work in the medium-format section of the forum, Darr. 6x17 is a great way to blow through a roll of 120.

And to answer the question, no.

jdphoto

I'm thinking more along the lines of boycotts. Trade embargo's probably won't deter me from a purchase, but my conscience does when the politics can't be ignored.

Shashin

I'm thinking more along the lines of boycotts. Trade embargo's probably won't deter me from a purchase, but my conscience does when the politics can't be ignored.
That is a difficult question. In order for a boycott to work it needs to effect major economic output of a nation (I am unsure what photographic manufacturer would be doing to be the target of a boycott, so I assume this would be directed at a nation). Photographic equipment would not impact GDP in any significant way. Nor would that industry have much of a political influence if it was impacted. Also, the consumer base for photographic products is not that large, whether that is nationally or globally.

I can certainly see acting based on conscience and I applaud those that do--I certainly have my own positions. The irony of individual action is that large organizations promote the idea of saving the world one person at a time as they know it gives people a sense of satisfaction without having any real impact. The reality is that only government intervention or large collective action has the possibility of having an effect. Governmental action is usually more effective as more tools can be applied. However, sanctions have had limited and uneven effect on nations. In some cases, they had zero effect as those nations were simply supported by different regimes. The study of political transformation has a rich and old history.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I’ve not been influenced by politics but I will not buy products that are obviously infringing upon other’s designs and/or copyright.

I’ve seen this mostly with Arca compatible heads/plates, even Cube knock-offs.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
However, sanctions have had limited and uneven effect on nations. In some cases, they had zero effect as those nations were simply supported by different regimes. The study of political transformation has a rich and old history.
Political leaders of sanctioned countries mostly die from old age while still in power, and the effect of sanctions are mostly felt by ordinary people who struggle through life without access to technology, medicines and basic commodities that we take for granted in most countries. Sanctions also undermine patents and copyrights, since those being sanctioned will often find ways to copy the products that they are prevented from buying.

When all that is said, I try to avoid buying from corporations with industrial practices that are harmful to the environment or who abuse their employees. Corporations are in many cases much more powerful than nation states these days, and as opposed to most politicians and emperors, they read the bottom line of their annual report with a microscope.