Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The great GetDPI Northern Arizona Workshop

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The great GetDPI Northern Arizona Workshop

The ISSUE is no HENDRIKS
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay the boss working it in Canyon De Chelley.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

forgot one

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Guy

Looks like there's still plenty of water there.

Is that the right side of Mummy Cave?

Great to see the "inside" of Canyon de Chelly again.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Back side of the North Rim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don, sorry this is on the way to Chinle. Instead of turning left to Kayenta/Monument Valley you continue like you are heading to route 59 headed to Chinle. This was taken about 200 yards before the right turn shown on the map.

Attachment 18092

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Don, sorry this is on the way to Chinle. Instead of turning left to Kayenta/Monument Valley you continue like you are heading to route 59 headed to Chinle. This was taken about 200 yards before the right turn shown on the map.

Attachment 18092
    Thanks!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful work Terry and Guy - now encourage some of the others to post as well. We all want to see more!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey,
    Where are my posts?
    Oh, I forgot, I couldn't make it.
    Geez I am such a dork.
    -bob

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Are these housings there ancient native american sites? What tribes lived there? Just by looking at your work here, I find the places very humbling, putting ourselves back into perspective against the majestic forces of nature at work there for thousands of years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    Are these housings there ancient native american sites? What tribes lived there? Just by looking at your work here, I find the places very humbling, putting ourselves back into perspective against the majestic forces of nature at work there for thousands of years.
    Georg, this may give you some good information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canyon_...ional_Monument

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Diane,

Anasazi came to mind, just was not too sure about it. I saw a report on a chap who dedicated all his life to archeological studies in this? area. I think his operation was considered the largest open museum for Anasazi archeology, something like that. Was very fascinating to listen to theories why and when they disappeared, the way they built their shelters high up and hidden, and the theories why they did that.

You know, I always find it funny to listen to europeans who think the USA has no or only very little history, in fact they have a much older history. ~12,000 years ago the first artificial mount structures are carbon dated, and the use of sage at this time was more than likely already established.

These rocks always fascinated me, while being the youngest in geological terms, compared with the smokey's that were formed during the proterozoic some 600-800 million years ago, they much stronger display the forces at work, from flat out beautiful over bizarre to surreal, you find the whole whack. It is funny, our general misconecption of stone being somewhat static and not moving is so wrong, we are just too fast to see it.

Thinking about photography, now here is challenge for the manufacturers. If we could do what James Balog did in E.I.S., the extreme ice survey:

http://www.extremeicesurvey.org/

only in geological terms. Now that would be a reliable hunk of camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is it raining all day? Are they all hanging in a pub drinking and eating 30oz Porterhouse steaks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple night shots

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Guy,

Mongo like too!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice Guy!!!

. . . and it looks like someone lent him a Cube

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Those are 30 minute exposures . Just got home and i need to redo some of my images, my laptop color profile was corrupt and I was compensating for it and some are off. Just got home to my 30 inch display, oh the joy. Thanks folks for the comments , was a great workshop . Lots of shooting

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,

a stupid question, how do you know for how long you need to expose? Do you shoot manually and set the time before?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great question . I did a quick test ISO 1600 at 2.8 for 2 minutes than we brought it into C1. From there we started to do the math . Add 4x for 5.6 than 4 x times on time since it was underexposed . Than we multiplied from ISO 1600 to 100 which is 5 stops more light needed. Figured out it went over a hour which is too long than backed off to ISO 200 at F4 to come up with about 35 minutes. The second one was at 4 am so I switched to a 45mm lens but knew the clouds rolled in and scattered more light so I went to 5.6 on that one. Also you want to shoot east or west on the earths axis

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Also you want to shoot east or west on the earths axis." There's an excuse to get the new iPhone: it has a compass, and you can even choose between true north and magnetic north.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I ordered one. Maybe this week it will come

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here a few I came up with so far. First one having some fun
    This was my first workshop ever and I had a wonderful time, thanks to Guy, Doug and the whole gang, I can't wait for the next workshop
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My take on Monument Valley.

This was a beautiful sight as a few horses started galloping away and I was yelling to Guy "slow down", "STOP!!!! I want to take this shot!" A900 with 24-70 from a moving car on a very bumpy completely unpaved sandy "road"

Yes, I know everyone will say something about this shot being crooked, I think it's the land that is crooked....

Last night, as I was working through my shots, I started thinking about processing and how I was going to set up my ongoing combined C1/Lightroom workflow. I decided to try something different in my image processing and decided to wait a day and make sure I still thought the look was interesting. Here are three of a series of shots that I desaturated along with a few other tweaks. I think I like the look but I'm only on my little laptop so I may gasp in horror when I get back to SF and my 30" monitor tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry more great shots :-)
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve,
    I hadn't seen your Marble Canyon "balancing rock" scene before. That is great, very much the fun spirit of a getDPI workshops.

As I told you, I LOVE your Horseshoe Bend shot.....for those who don't know, on Wednesday when we got to Page and pulled into the parking , the thunder and lightening started and we all bailed out and went to check into the hotel and relax. However, after the rain let up and the sun came back out, Steve decided to go back. Man did he make the right choice - great capture of the colors!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's another...
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

This was one of the best workshops I have ever attended!

Kudos to Guy and Doug!

First one is Antelope Canyon - at a quiet moment.

Second one Guy at work - hanging out at the cliff

Both P65+

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, your workshops are a very dangerous thing to attend as far as I can tell from the distance. Addiction might be the best description for the danger. It is so evident how much fun you folks had, and not only that, but also a ton of nice results on top! Fantastic!! .... and all that without a cube.

Guy:
    Great question . I did a quick test ISO 1600 at 2.8 for 2 minutes than we brought it into C1. From there we started to do the math . Add 4x for 5.6 than 4 x times on time since it was underexposed . Than we multiplied from ISO 1600 to 100 which is 5 stops more light needed. Figured out it went over a hour which is too long than backed off to ISO 200 at F4 to come up with about 35 minutes. The second one was at 4 am so I switched to a 45mm lens but knew the clouds rolled in and scattered more light so I went to 5.6 on that one. Also you want to shoot east or west on the earths axis
    Thanks Guy! Ok, this is going to be longer as I really try to understand every bit of it.

Firstly, I assume the axis has importance because of the star trails. Right?

Ok, it helps me, if I type that down here step by step. Let's see whether I got it right.

add 4x for 5.6"
    ... The phase one with the 80mm goes like 2.8, 3.2, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0 and then 5.6... Looking at that I assume you added a factor for every two steps, which means the above reflects a half a stop each. Ok, I get that.

Then you say
    than 4 x times on time since it was underexposed
    But this I do not understand, how did you come to the x4? Was this a guestimate? If so how did you guestimate?

Than we multiplied from ISO 1600 to 100 which is 5 stops more light needed
    ISO 100 -> 200 = 1 stop
    ISO 200 -> 400 = 1 stop
    ISO 400 -> 800 = 1 stop
    ISO 800 ->1600 = 1

Ok, I get it.... 16, 8, 4, 2, 1 = x5

So you ended up with your original 120 sec exposure and according to the above multiplied this first by x5(for ISO 100) then by x4( for 5.6) and then by another x4 (for underexposure guestimate) which brings you to 9,600 seconds or 2 hours 40 minutes.

Then you divided that by 2 to come to from ISO 100 to ISO 200, which brings you to 4.800 seconds or 80 minutes.

Then you divided that by 2.5 to come from 5.6 to 4.0, which brings you to 1,920 seconds or 32 minutes.

Pheew I think I got it.

Ok, now the follow up questions.

The part I did not understand was your guestimate. Can you epxlain a little more about that?

Using this technique, and that is crucial for me to understand, I do not understand on what you focussed and how?

So that would be the way to approach such shots, find an intersting static object, shoot a test picture at a fixed setting at High ISO and wide open, then do the math and take the shot ideally aorund 30 minutes, because afterwards the same time is added in camera to subtract from the darkframe, which means 1 hour in total that you have to wait and leave the camera in it's position. ....Hold on...or do you? Can you move the camera after it took the shot, and while it is processing the dark frame? I would asume so.

Alternatively, and on a practical note, as I rarely have a laptop with me to do that, what external exposure meter could be used to determine the correct settings for such a task. Any recommendations?

Last question, is there a way to have the rocks being exposed so that you can see the textures and colors, but at the same time see the star trails. Would that be able to be achieved by HDR techniques? Doing one star trail shot whereby the Rock is nothing but a silouhette, and another where the sky is total blown out but the rock is exposed?

Thanks again Guy, and I appologise for the lengthy rant, but your answer was important and I wanted to make sure I really got it. I can only hope this is interesting enough for others here as well. But in any case, being the newbie here on the fora, I need to know if all that is too much in depth questions here, and rather not wanted for future posts, please let me know and I avoid such in depth stuff to be asked if this is too much hassle.

Best wishes
    Georg

P.S. On a funny note, I just realise the most important tool for such shots. -Traffic diversion posts -

I'd be pissed if after 28 minutes a car drives through the scene.

P.P.S Again, I realise I was not a workshop member and may be this is something you rather disucss in the closed workshop group, I would understand that. Then again, I will be a future workshop member.... by all means!
    Last edited by Georg Baumann; 21st June 2009 at 06:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter very "prestigious" post :-)
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Georg,

After the test exposure, we took the card out of the camera and opened the file in C1 and looked to see how many stops over/under exposed it was.

The hard part about these shots was not being set up with camera/lens combo in place before it got dark. Very hard to do the composition when you can't see anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post

... The phase one with the 80mm goes like 2.8, 3.2, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0 and then 5.6... Looking at that I assume you added a factor for every two steps, which means the above reflects a half a stop each. Ok, I get that.
    George:

Each full stop is 1/2 or 2x the light of the previous. So full stops from f2.8 progress as, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, etc. So going from 2.8 to 5.6 is 2 full stops, 1/2 x 1/2 or 1/4th the light, and thus you need to increase the time of the exposure by 4x...

Guy's math was off for number of stops between ISO 1600 and ISO 100, it's only 4: 800 is one, 400 is two, 200 is three and 100 is four.

However, a good rule of thumb with any long night exposure is do the math as above, then add one stop for the tripod . Seriously, you almost never over expose them!

And after doing all the math, with a clear sky (clouds change everything) and regardless of the phase of the moon, they almost always work out to about one hour at f4 for ISO 100.

A sidebar note: Because of the difficulty composing through a viewfinder in almost total darkness, and because of the relatively limited apertures of f5.6 or maybe f8, I tend to shoot these with wider lenses --- wider angles of view mean you can "zone compose" by pointing the camera in the generally right direction (shoot loose and crop a bit later), and shorter lenses render greater DoF at a given aperture.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great images folks, kudos to all for such great captures!!!

PS to Terry: Your horizons are fine -- I know the area you were shooting in and the land does slope -- plus your spires are basically straight. () Sending you a PM on a desaturation technique I like...

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jack for correcting that , still in a daze from driving. Just got in a full 8 hours sleep which i have not done since i was 12 years old. LOL

Woke up to some wonderful images and posts . Steve they are prestigious images my friend. Looking to see more.

Peter thanks and for you the longest traveling workshop attendee EVER . I can see you really enjoyed the trip and finally got to play with some of the nicest gear around and capture some nice images. BTW Doug raffled off a free copy of C1 Pro and Steve won it. Congrats

Terry so where was that 135mm when we went by the horses. LOL
    BTW I like the desaturated look. I want to play with some B&W shots

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Steve

Great shoot of the balance rock in Marble Cyn. It's be interesting to see what all the shoots look like from that set.

Horseshoe Bend is one of the hardest places to capture however you did it.

Great work.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Something with a little different in look

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Terry - Never tire of seeing Monument Valley. The horse image is great as are the others (taken near 3 sisters?).

Now can't wait till we go there in August; thanks for giving me a quick "fix"

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've enjoyed the whole trip with all of you LOL. Hope to see more as you process. I've loved the different takes on the same scenes--and with Steve's, Terry's and Guy's shots at different times of day at Horseshoe.

Terry, like the desaturated shots too--sometimes Southwest can be overwhelming colorwise (I still look at film shots of mine--last time I was there LOL) and say--no way--but I know they were pretty true. That's what comes of living east of the Mississippi where the light is different--rock formations and type, color of land, etc. too.

Diane

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Something a little different in look
    Very nice Guy! I like the "look"
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Balance rock. Everyone has this identical angle. I set them up for this one at least and had them all shoot this one. I liked the gap between the mountain and rock. A composition lesson in the field

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Well, I've enjoyed the whole trip with all of you LOL. Hope to see more as you process. I've loved the different takes on the same scenes--and with Steve's, Terry's and Guy's shots at different times of day at Horseshoe.

Terry, like the desaturated shots too--sometimes Southwest can be overwhelming colorwise (I still look at film shots of mine--last time I was there LOL) and say--no way--but I know they were pretty true. That's what comes of living east of the Mississippi where the light is different--rock formations and type, color of land, etc. too.

Diane
    Hi Diane We have colors here in the Southwest that'll just blow your socks off if you're not careful! I've seen the sky at sunset that comes alive with reds that make the sky look like the inside of a furnace. Then there's the red cliffs of ... well just about everywhere.

Monument Valley is a great place to go as you can't go there without thinking/seeing the two most famous "Johns" John Wayne and John Ford. I've often thought of doing nothing but b&w in MV just to capture the mood of the place.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    Very nice Guy! I like the "look"
    Thanks Don used the sepia filter in C1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lesson learned need one more ND filter in the bag only 1/4 second at F22 but need to slow it down more. Tough to do in bright light

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lesson learned need one more ND filter in the bag only 1/4 second at F22 but need to slow it down more. Tough to do in bright light
    I hear that! Why I normally carry a 3 stop and not a 2, and have a 6-stop tucked away specifically for moving water
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

6 stop one would be perfect to have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The road to planet Mars

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also you want to shoot east or west on the earths axis
    Sorry, I don't understand this point. Is it something local, or a general rule-of thumb?
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Because the earth rotates east west, so the stars spin in that direction or we spin actually. On the North or South directions we do not spin in that direction so much leas movement of the stars we go around.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It's about the rotation of the earth and the ability to shoot star trails.

Opps you said it better Guy!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the star trails. I have seen pix taken pointing at the pole star and the southern pole, with impressive concentric trails -- but these exposures were several hours, not just a few minutes. And also a double exposure technique -- one day light but under exposure for the foreground, then much later, several hours for the stars.
    Sláinte

Robert.