The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great GetDPI Northern Arizona Workshop

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Forgot I shot this 3 shot Pano of Lake Powell. Shot with a P30 Plus. This is a big print waiting to be made

As a gift to the workshop members that went on this workshop . I would be happy to provide you with this image on disk for you to make a print for your home. Right now it is a 16 inch x 45 inch native file. I would also be happy to sign it. A perk of attending our workshops

beamon

Fun trip to follow vicariously. Thanks for the good posts and pics.

Dying to know... did Peter decide on a Phase One rig yet?

Terry

Fun trip to follow vicariously. Thanks for the good posts and pics.

Dying to know... did Peter decide on a Phase One rig yet?
not sure what he's decided but he was wearing a big smile ear to ear all week when using the various backs and the Sony files were referred to as having vaseline on them in comparison. :ROTFL::D

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
not sure what he's decided but he was wearing a big smile ear to ear all week when using the various backs and the Sony files were referred to as having vaseline on them in comparison. :ROTFL::D
Yes, I am waiting to hear Peter's report as well. I know he has put in much time and careful consideration on this topic.

Terry - what's your verdict on shooting with the Sony? Satisfied? How does it handle compared to the Nikon you were using? Are those files eating up too much disk space :)

Guy - Did you get to shoot with the Sony? I hope you have some Sony files to process so you can give us your take on it.

:thumbs: on all the wonderful images posted in this thread - the workshops are always very inspiring, even the ones I cannot attend and have to experience through the forum :thumbs:

kuau

Workshop Member
Nice slot canyon shot Guy, I wish I can say the same for mine, oh well maybe next time.
I would love to get the file of the pano you posted. I will email to you my ftp server info, and just a note to those who attended the workshop, I would be happy to do a print no charge of you favorite image, just email me direcrt at [email protected] I will give you ftp instructions.

Guy Mancuso

Steve i will send that over. Also folks Steve does inkjet printing and has his setup in Flagstaff please get in touch with him on some printing and again Steve nice offer to the workshop attendees.

Regarding shooting other camera's and backs. First let me say i could not even get close to shooting any other back. LOL The P40,P45 and P65 where almost at all times being used by the workshop attendees. It would have been like prying them out of there dead cold hands. Honestly could not blame them for a second, they all got a chance to shoot some of the best gear on the planet for 4 days, can't get that anywhere. I did have a brief moment with the P65 + which actually i still have in my possession.:D

I have to send it back to Steve at Phase for Doug. As far as the Sony's and D3x i played but did not rally get a chance to work with them much. Seriously I spent my time over peoples shoulders getting them going and teaching them as much as I could. BVUT i know Woody got some great stuff as well as Terry as I was working with them and there Sony's and Nikons. Steve and Peter both had Sony's that saw very little light of day. They were all over the MF stuff. Doug did shoot the Sony and has files to play with . Hopefully from a tech POV he can give his impressions this week. He is traveling right now.

Guy Mancuso

BTW Peter is getting either the P40 Plus or the P45 Plus and maybe leaning to the 45. Another shooter Don who shoots the Alpa Max is going through the same decision between these two backs. I actually gave Don my whole series of test images I did last week to evaluate. It's a real tough call between these two backs.

Mike Secina had a P45 Plus for his Hassy H1 all 4 days and the Leica NEVER came out of the bag. He's looking for a part time job now. Simply fell hopelessly in love with the files. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

kuau

Workshop Member
I was for sure all over the MF stuff, as Guy mentioned on this workshop what a great opportunity to work with all the best stuff available today. Kudo's to Guy and Doug for turning me on to MF and Tech View camera for shooting landscape. Don't be to suprised if you see in the buy/sell forum all my Sony gear so I can fund a "used" mf /tech view setup.
Don't get me wrong I love my A900 and the zeiss lenses yet I feel that if I really want to get into landscape work mf/tech view camera is the way to go

Steven

thomas

Peter, I'd be interessted in a corner crop of the image. I recently finished a shot with the 47XL shifted for the first time to the full range of 20mm with the P45 and am quite impressed of how well I still could handle sharpness fall off for the print file.
Would be glad if you could post a 100% crop of the edges. Maybe not absolut foreground but from the bottommost fifth fraction or so but from the left or right image edge...
Thanks in advance!

You would hook your pahse one back onto it
sure, you can mount all backs on the camera.
and then what about your 645? This is like a second camera?
it depends on what you shoot. Sometimes the mirror is nice to have, sometimes you want the light and "easy" handling of the 645 and at longer focal lengths (without stitching) the differences are minor so that again the 645 is just easier to use (and to focus).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Folks sorry, screwed up last time, so here same post again!

As I am asked for what I finally decided, let me summarize like this - and keep in mind that this is just what I can judge from working with several equipment this week, and have a quick look into the files, as we did literally not have much time left between shoots :)

1) Sony: I must admit that I am surprised how well the Sony files look like. Especially if you use the right exposure in combination with Zeiss glass, this is a clear winner combination for me when it comes to ultimate IQ of todays FF DSLR.

2) Phase: Having said the above WRT Sony, if you compare the Sony results with any Phase back I used (P30, P40, P45, P65), then each of these backs just blows you off the socks. Of course only if you also do proper exposure etc. But the richness in detail, microcontrast (which was compared to a bit Vaselin look of the Sony files compared to Phase if you compare 100% crops) and the dynamic range of the Phase is a different world.

3) And now my advise - never ever try Tech Cameras, as this might get you hooked into a totally different world with such unexpected results that I cannot describe :). I had the pleasure to test the Cambo Wide RS with a 35mm Schneider lens, so all the Tech Camera shots from my you will see were taken with that camera and most times P40 and P45. Man this combination is wonderful. Once you get over the initial issues how to handle this and get a bit familiar with some workflow, especially if we talk about stitching, this delivers such stunning results I cannot describe with words.

Better see example below - Cambo with P45+. Not done any corrctions other than LCC. The original is 400M TIF file and you can do anything you want with it in PS. So whatever correction necessary I mean. But I think it is already pretty cool out of the box....

Now what are my plans? Not 100% sure yet but most likely go for a P40 or a P45 (I must say I like how the P45 draws) and then get a Phase body with a 28 and a 70-150 to get started. And then go for a Cambo Wide RS. That could be a winning solution for me - not my bank account though :D

Terry

Terry - what's your verdict on shooting with the Sony? Satisfied? How does it handle compared to the Nikon you were using? Are those files eating up too much disk space :)
I have plenty of disk space and it seems to be the cheapest part of my setup so I haven't give files sizes a thought. On my panos I stitched 5 and 6 A900 files saved as 16 bit tiffs (138mb files) and used my new laptop to stitch in photoshop. It isn't instantaneous and you can walk away for a minute or two but the new laptop handled it all quite well.

As to the Sony camera.:
1. I really do like the files
2. I'm usually not a big cropper but there were a few instances where I didn't have the lens reach and it is nice to be able to crop and still be left with a great file.
3.The controls and menus are MUCH more straightforward (to my brain at least). I feel like in 3 weeks I know the buttons better on the Sony than I ever did after a year on Nikon.
4. I need to get my custom settings together. The biggest errors were user induced such as moving from the tripod to handheld and back and forgetting to turn on and off the image stabalization.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter, I'd be interessted in a corner crop of the image. I recently finished a shot with the 47XL shifted for the first time to the full range of 20mm with the P45 and am quite impressed of how well I still could handle sharpness fall off for the print file.
Would be glad if you could post a 100% crop of the edges. Maybe not absolut foreground but from the bottommost fifth fraction or so but from the left or right image edge...
Thanks in advance!

sure, you can mount all backs on the camera.
it depends on what you shoot. Sometimes the mirror is nice to have, sometimes you want the light and "easy" handling of the 645 and at longer focal lengths (without stitching) the differences are minor so that again the 645 is just easier to use (and to focus).
thomas

well, you catch me on the right spot :) - the corners are not as sharp, but I guess this was also focussing?

See below 100% crop corner right bottom

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just for those who say a Cambo can not be used as a P&S - here we go ;)

Cambo Wide RS with P45+

Last edited:

thomas

well, you catch me on the right spot :) - the corners are not as sharp, but I guess this was also focussing?
See below 100% crop corner right bottom
thank you very much!
the corners are never tack sharp. Question is how soft they are.
Do you remember the ammount of shift? And the aperture?
I'd assume focus was set to infinity, no?
Thanks again!