Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: What's the story so far? OMD-EM5

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the story so far? OMD-EM5

@MGrayson:

I'm not a 4/3 fanboy ... but, (the big but), I am hoping to replace my FF cameras with 4/3. For what I shoot and my expectations the IQ of 4/3 is fine. What is missing is a native lens system behind the camera of what I'll call pro-quality photojournalist lenses. The wide fast and long fast lenses of Canon and Nikon. In 35mm film FOV, the 200mm & 300mm f/2.8, the 70-200mm f/2.8 and a 16-35mm f/2.8 would make me a very happy camper.

Panasonic has come out with a 12-35mm f2.8, Pre-orders are being taken for the Olympus 75mm f1.8 and I think Oly has announced a 35-100 f/2 and a 60mm macro ... so the long end seems to be covered. Meanwhile I can live with f/4 on the 7-14mm.

Gary

PS- As to "must have" lenses ... depends on what you shoot, but for starters the Oly 12mm and 45mm are at the top, toss in Pany-Leica 25 and you have a good start. Pany's 45-200 and the 100-300 are both very sharp. If you need a pancake the Pany 20mm and 14mm both pack a lot of punch for their size.

Kit lenses notwithstanding, the only lens that generally gets panned is the Oly 17mm and occasionally the Pany-Leica 45mm for its tendency to hunt (but it's a macro and macros hunt). At least that's been my observations.

G
    Last edited by GaryAyala; 7th July 2012 at 10:03.

Post Thanks / Like

The possibility to use the magnification in conjunction with the image stabilizer makes the focus peaking almost unnecessary.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    What?! I have been seriously considering getting one these last days, but I thought it DOES have focus peaking. In fact I more or less took it as a given. Are you saying it doesn't???
    emr: I thought focus peaking was a deal breaker, too. Jono, and my use of the body with M and R glass convinced me, otherwise. The E-M5's and the mft lenses have replaced the Nex 7 and the A77, along with, as Jono noted, all of that nice Zeiss glass.

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I'll be damned. The 12-50 isn't ONLY zoom by wire. I guess I'll have to give it a try.

Hmmm... have to be careful. After accumulating a Leica M system, and thinking long and hard about MF digital, all this glass looks free, but I bet it adds up quickly....

-Matt
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Love my OM-D.

The D300 is now dead in the water. To paraphrase Cleese, and EX-Camera, bereft of life -- gone to meet its maker.

The OM-D is that good.

The Pana-Lieca is an exceptional normal lens. The Oly 45 is super.

I've never really needed fast and wide, so the 9-18 works just fine.

As of now, nothing to replace the 120-300 2.8 sigma, but then again, it weighs more than my entire m-43rd system combined.

I've really tried to like Manual Focus camera systems, but I'm just too old and my eyes are failing .... back to Python ... No! The RD-1 is gone, the Contax on the block now. Just can't bring my self to get rid of the 4X5 Polaroid or my Wife's Grand Fathers 645 folder.

Best;

Dave

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Dave,

Interesting what an improvement in quality we've seen at the 35mm and u43 formats in the past 6 months! Now to see what shoes drop at Photokina. The MF people have some catching up to do.

Disclaimer: (in case Marc "fotografz" reads this forum ) This is for entertainment purposes only, not mindless upgrading to the latest thing. Not a bit.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The more I try with it, the more problems I encounter.
    Like pull zoom shots.
    If I zoom while shooting the camera stops!
    Then once I stop zooming the AF and shooting continues.

That's a serious problem for my rally stage shots, where typically I'd take long shots and continue in a burst while zooming out as the car passes (then duck the flying stones).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smartwombat View Post
    The more I try with it, the more problems I encounter.
    Like pull zoom shots.
    If I zoom while shooting the camera stops!
    Then once I stop zooming the AF and shooting continues.

That's a serious problem for my rally stage shots, where typically I'd take long shots and continue in a burst while zooming out as the car passes (then duck the flying stones).
    Based on my feeble experiments so far, sports/action photography is an area, maybe the area, where currently available m4/3 cameras just can't replace a good pro or pro-sumer DSLR. Given the rate of development in all technical hardware, maybe next year...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jnewell View Post
    Based on my feeble experiments so far, sports/action photography is an area, maybe the area, where currently available m4/3 cameras just can't replace a good pro or pro-sumer DSLR. Given the rate of development in all technical hardware, maybe next year...
    I think you're probably right.
    The problem is continuous AF, which still seems to be the domain of Phase Detect AF systems.

I don't do much of this stuff, but have done some surfing shots - I got dreadful results using c-af. it was much better to use Single AF on the shutter release and to fully press the shutter (not half press) when you want the shot. I got a pretty good hit rate (because the AF is very fast) but if I was a professional sports shooter I'd still be on a big Nikon.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I think you're probably right.
    The problem is continuous AF, which still seems to be the domain of Phase Detect AF systems.

I don't do much of this stuff, but have done some surfing shots - I got dreadful results using c-af. it was much better to use Single AF on the shutter release and to fully press the shutter (not half press) when you want the shot. I got a pretty good hit rate (because the AF is very fast) but if I was a professional sports shooter I'd still be on a big Nikon.
    Thanks for that input - it will be valuable. My sports photography still belongs to a pair of Nikons but later this month I'm going to be doing it in the UK with m4/3 for a couple of different reasons. I wouldn't have thought that single AF would work well, so your input on that is very much appreciated. I'll do some experimenting with it before I go.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This shot was a true grab shot. Single point AF, in the center.

This was a low light ISO 1600 F2.8 shot with the 45 1.8.

While this may not be a pro sports camera, I'm not a pro sports shooter. The OM-D did every bit as good at documenting the swim season as my D300. The G3 could not do the job.

Dave

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

After having used the OMD a bit more and 1 week vacation with it I would like to respond to the original question:
    - I bought the OMD as a flexible, fast, solid walk around camera when I am outside and dont want to carry larger cameras.
    So far the OMD has fullfilled that very good. The camera sits good in the hand (I allways use the grip), it feels fast (yes-c-af is not usable but s-af works ver well), and with my new favorite lens (the 14-150 Oly) it is very flexible but stil quite a bit smaller than a DSLR qith equivalent lens.
    The IQ is quite good - specially the colors -which is an important point for me.
    I own some more lenses now but during our vacation I mostly carried the 14-150 and the 20/1.7 for low light.
    There is just one thing that I would like to have - smaller AF-point.
    However the "focus on the eye"-setting seems to work quite well.
    Conclusion: great, fast little camera and I find the 14-150 to be the near perfect lens for it.

The other camera I brought was a x-pro 1 with 3 lenses - which I also have used and do like a lot during that week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am just wondering,
    If Sony would have came out with more HQ lens for the NEX7, would all the ex NEX7owners have jumped ship to Olympus so quickly?
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    I am just wondering,
    If Sony would have came out with more HQ lens for the NEX7, would all the ex NEX7owners have jumped ship to Olympus so quickly?
    That's not the point: they just like to jump ship ...

Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    (...)
    There is just one thing that I would like to have - smaller AF-point.
    You can get a smaller target if you want. This is linked to the magnifier. First you have to affect the magnifier to one of the customizable button, or use the multifunction (the magnifier is one of the function you can get with the multifunction).

Then operations are simple :

1) One short pressure of the magnifier button : the target appear and you can adjust its size with the wheel and move it on the screen where you want.
    2) A second short pressure and you zoom in the portion of the frame indicated by the target and can check focus etc..
    3) One long pressure of the magnifier button and you are back in normal viewing mode (aka any mode you had set with the info button).
    4) Two short pressures of the magnifier button would directly zoom in the target.

Note : the position and size of the target will be remembered. Even when you get out of the magnifier mode.

sebasco

I have tried LR4.2 and Aperture with the RAW files and frankly cannot match the colors I get from the JPEGs, with G+2, NR off, sharpening -1 (neutral for portraits and vivid for landscapes) and then adding some levels work and local contrast sharpening in Aperture.

This has never happened to me before: I have always found that I could easily improve on the OOC jpeg but frankly not this time.

For those using Aperture or Lightroom, do you have a 'secret sauce' you are using to match the OOC colors from this wonderful camera?

Your thoughts and feedback will be appreciated greatly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Based on my feeble experiments so far, sports/action photography is an area, maybe the area, where currently available m4/3 cameras just can't replace a good pro or pro-sumer DSLR.
    True, my issue is that I can't even lift my Pro DSLR or lens (let alone both together) after my car accident.
    So the lightness of the OM-D and the micro 4/3 lenses is essential to me.
    Mind you after four days at Goodwood Festival of Speed my right hand hurt for two days. I bet my physio will tell me it was good for me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After a while of shooting almost exclusively with the OM-D (I have also a G1, that is undergoing an IR conversion nowadays, and a GH2), these are my thoughts

On the positive side :
    - this camera is heaven for users of manual focus, adapted lenses. My 'keepers' ratio has gone up considerably since I'm shooting with the OM-D, especially with 'difficult' lenses like anything with FL > 150mm. The IBIS really works extremely well and is the main reason why I bought this body.
    - the ORF files (I shoot RAW exclusively) seem to import to LR4.1 considerably faster than the RW2 files from the GH2. This probably has to do with the filesize and resolution differences between the 2 sensors. Still, when you import pictures from a whole day's shooting, it does make a difference !
    - the image quality of the Olympus pics is hardly any different from the GH2 quality, good enough for me
    - the grips add to the weight but also to the confort of shooting and carrying the camera

On the "regrets" side :
    - I badly miss the fully tiltable screen of the G1/GH2, specially when shooting macro from the frog's perspective
    - I'm worried about the lifetime of the E-M5 screen that is exposed to all influences all the time, with no possibility to flip it backwards for protection
    - I've needed time to come to peace with the menus and all the parameters one has to set before the camera behaves (like one wants)
    - I've updated the firmware without problems lately, but I'm definitely not looking forward to more updates. Too risky to be left with a bricked camera.

So, if Olympus were to propose an E-M6 with a fully tiltable screen and a resolution upgrade (without interfering with the low light quality), then I would definitely be interested !!!

C U,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f6cvalkyrie View Post
    After a while of shooting almost exclusively with the OM-D (I have also a G1, that is undergoing an IR conversion nowadays, and a GH2), these are my thoughts

On the positive side :
    - this camera is heaven for users of manual focus, adapted lenses. My 'keepers' ratio has gone up considerably since I'm shooting with the OM-D, especially with 'difficult' lenses like anything with FL > 150mm. The IBIS really works extremely well and is the main reason why I bought this body.
    - the ORF files (I shoot RAW exclusively) seem to import to LR4.1 considerably faster than the RW2 files from the GH2. This probably has to do with the filesize and resolution differences between the 2 sensors. Still, when you import pictures from a whole day's shooting, it does make a difference !
    - the image quality of the Olympus pics is hardly any different from the GH2 quality, good enough for me
    - the grips add to the weight but also to the confort of shooting and carrying the camera

On the "regrets" side :
    - I badly miss the fully tiltable screen of the G1/GH2, specially when shooting macro from the frog's perspective
    - I'm worried about the lifetime of the E-M5 screen that is exposed to all influences all the time, with no possibility to flip it backwards for protection
    - I've needed time to come to peace with the menus and all the parameters one has to set before the camera behaves (like one wants)
    - I've updated the firmware without problems lately, but I'm definitely not looking forward to more updates. Too risky to be left with a bricked camera.

So, if Olympus were to propose an E-M6 with a fully tiltable screen and a resolution upgrade (without interfering with the low light quality), then I would definitely be interested !!!

C U,
    Rafael
    I have seen many of your fine photos with legacy lenses. 2 questions. (1) Compared with the G1, is it any easier to obtain focus using manual focus lenses? (THe G1 as you know is awkward to get magnification and then shakes about due to the level. I assume IBIS helps with the latter. Is that what you were referring to when you referred to heaven?) (2) Do you see much difference in IQ compared with the G1 (which I always felt fell well short of my D200 and D40)?
    Thanks
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by abry View Post
    (1) Compared with the G1, is it any easier to obtain focus using manual focus lenses? (THe G1 as you know is awkward to get magnification and then shakes about due to the level. I assume IBIS helps with the latter. Is that what you were referring to when you referred to heaven?)

(2) Do you see much difference in IQ compared with the G1 (which I always felt fell well short of my D200 and D40)?
    Thanks
    Alan
    Hi, Alan,

your assumption is correct : the IBIS and specially the "halfpress shutter" stabilise the image in the VF while focusing. This is very much an advantage ! But, you have to input the correct focal length into the IBIS settings. Not a problem with primes, but sometimes a handicap when shooting with MF adapted zooms.

The IQ of the E-M5 is much better than the G1. The sensor is much better at low light levels, and shows a higher resolution. I can't compare to the Nikon bodies you mention, but from what I read, the E-M5 should be +/- equivalent to the mid-range cameras from Nicanon ...

C U,
    Rafael

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have seen many of your fine photos with legacy lenses. 2 questions. (1) Compared with the G1, is it any easier to obtain focus using manual focus lenses? (THe G1 as you know is awkward to get magnification and then shakes about due to the level. I assume IBIS helps with the latter. Is that what you were referring to when you referred to heaven?) (2) Do you see much difference in IQ compared with the G1 (which I always felt fell well short of my D200 and D40)?
    Thanks
    Alan
    HI Alan
    I can't compare with the G1, but,
    I've completely given up with the magnification - the IBIS with the half shutter stabilises the lens so well that you can easily see what's in focus - even shooting my 180mm f2.8 Leica R lens wide open getting good focus is easy (there is a kind of shimmer of extra contrast).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

It's disappointing to read about the bricked cameras from Olympus' update procedure. I'm sure it must have happened with Panasonic cameras too, but I don't remember reading about it. It makes me wonder if I should just cancel my long standing pre-order for an OMD and see what Panasonic comes out with next, but I really would like to have the new ibis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toobacat View Post
    It's disappointing to read about the bricked cameras from Olympus' update procedure. I'm sure it must have happened with Panasonic cameras too, but I don't remember reading about it. It makes me wonder if I should just cancel my long standing pre-order for an OMD and see what Panasonic comes out with next, but I really would like to have the new ibis.
    It is much less likely with Panasonic cameras because they update from the card. However awkward the Olympus routine is, most people have no trouble with it. I would not avoid the OM-D just because of the firmware update routine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would not avoid the OM-D just because of the firmware update routine.
    +1
    Rafael

Post Thanks / Like

I've recently updated two OM-D's, absolutely no problems at all.

If you are seeking a reason to cancel the OM-D, the lack of a viable Continuous Focus mode for action is a good reason, not the updating process.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok -what is a variable continuous focus? It's not I term I am familiar with.

Jim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Me neither, Jim. But it's a viable question ...

All the best.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

I consider the Continuous AF of a dSLR to be viable ... well because it works. With a dSLR, I can pretty much instantly lock focus on a moving subject, hold that focus while the subject continues to moves and release the shutter multiple times a second and the focus stays with the subject. That scenario to me works ... the OM-D does none of that happens in C-AF. I could easily live with the slow refresh rate of the EVF if it would lock and hold focus, but it doesn't lock on very quickly or hold focus with moving subjects.

I get better and more consistant results using S-AF and 'pumping' the focus button to re-acquire focus. This is on slow moving, five-year-old soccer. For non-action stuff the OM-D is super, pretty much equal to my FF dSLR's.

Gary
    Last edited by GaryAyala; 20th July 2012 at 15:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry - I read your description incorrectly, as Bart politely pointed out.

I agree - it is definitely not a sports camera but for all other areas I am impressed.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

As I. I hope the lack of viable AF for action is merely a software/firmware thing and can be enhance through updates.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post

I agree - it is definitely not a sports camera but for all other areas I am impressed.

Jim
    hi Jim
    It certainly isn't a sports camera if you use C-AF. But the AF is very fast, and the shutter lag is very small. I found I got a very high proportion of keepers shooting surfers with the Panasonic 100-300 and mashing the shutter with review switched off. It's a different technique, but it does work, Quite well.

Like Gary, I'd like to see functioning CAF, but the OMD does work for occasional sports stuff.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

hi Jim
    It certainly isn't a sports camera if you use C-AF. But the AF is very fast, and the shutter lag is very small. I found I got a very high proportion of keepers shooting surfers with the Panasonic 100-300 and mashing the shutter with review switched off. It's a different technique, but it does work, Quite well.

Like Gary, I'd like to see functioning CAF, but the OMD does work for occasional sports stuff.
    I'll second that. Pumping S-AF works, but now you have to exercise your timing and wait for the peak of action before releasing the shutter. Having to calculate your shutter release combined with a slow EVF refresh, (when compared to an optical viewfinder), shooting action is not impossible, but just a lot more difficult (when compared to a dSLR) and resulting in less keepers and more missed opportunities. At least that's how it worked for me while shooting youth soccer, your mileage may vary.

Gary

PS- You're shooting surfers in the UK ... man I'd like to see a link ... what kind of waves?
    G
    Last edited by GaryAyala; 20th July 2012 at 21:30.
    My Snaps are Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,

I am not really a sports shooter but I'll give it a try. I must admit that this camera has exceeded my expectations.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f6cvalkyrie View Post
    Hi, Alan,

your assumption is correct : the IBIS and specially the "halfpress shutter" stabilise the image in the VF while focusing. This is very much an advantage ! But, you have to input the correct focal length into the IBIS settings. Not a problem with primes, but sometimes a handicap when shooting with MF adapted zooms.

The IQ of the E-M5 is much better than the G1. The sensor is much better at low light levels, and shows a higher resolution. I can't compare to the Nikon bodies you mention, but from what I read, the E-M5 should be +/- equivalent to the mid-range cameras from Nicanon ...

C U,
    Rafael
    Many thanks Rafael. Slight pity about the zoom point. I have a Nikon 75-150 series E lens I like to use on the G1. I see you have one too. Anyway, I'm thinking about it.
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

HI Alan
    I can't compare with the G1, but,
    I've completely given up with the magnification - the IBIS with the half shutter stabilises the lens so well that you can easily see what's in focus - even shooting my 180mm f2.8 Leica R lens wide open getting good focus is easy (there is a kind of shimmer of extra contrast).

all the best
    Thank you for chipping in with this Jonoslack. That's very encouraging to hear. That Leica should produce nice subject isolation wide open I would have thought, even on a micro 4/3 sensor.
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Alan
    I have had a GH1 and D200 and the OM-D yields image quality significantly better than both. Compared to D700 and M8 at base ISO it doesn't quite get there, but it is close enough. The latter comparison is based on prints at 45/40x30cm.

Post Thanks / Like

Need to chime in here after a while.

I really like my EM5, it is a remarkable camera and gets you to great images pretty quickly using the right lenses.

Having said that I also use the D800E and this beast is far more demanding but if you find the right glass (some selected Nikkors and almost all Zeiss ZF.2) and fine-tuning the camera, the results are really outstanding. Same league as the H3D39.

Having said that, the H3D39 allows you to get there without any big effort in fine-tuning etc. But the advantage of the D800E is definitely the price and the big choice of lenses and very much advanced AF.

Coming back to the EM5 - never had a camera which produced better results without any effort out of the box in this league.

I am happy to enjoy all 3 brands though

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Still out on the verdict for the OMD lots to like but just I don't know it gets the shots for the quick action sometimes and others Im faster with the M9. Also when you can get the metered light right in the M9 its a beautiful thing. Lots more situations to consider, but the OMD has its place. See what you think these two images were shot within minuets of each other. Sharpening the same on both corrected the files slightly same color temperature for both. The file that starts with L - Leica (35mm 1.4 asph.) Omd 25mm pany.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Call me crazy, but I've decided to let OM-D go. "It's not you, it's me." I still think that it's a wonderful camera, but since I'm still in love with the M9, the OMD simply don't get much love from me. It's competing for spaces in my bag, and it's competing for funds to buy lenses. When I took both camera out and compared the images at night, I simply love the M9 files more which make me believe that if I had the choice, I'd choose the M9 and hand the OMD to my wife, but it's a bit too big for her purse.

I originally thought that it would be a good compliment to the M9 because of the AF, zoom, macro, and video, but now I'm thinking the Sony RX100 might be a better fit for my needs. I've made sure that it will go to a good home because my friend has been waiting for it to be in stock to buy one.

So, nothing against the camera because if I didn't have the M9, this would be my camera of choice... but I've been spoiled.
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Post Thanks / Like

In contrast to bab and hosermage, I have decided to keep the OM-D and have abandoned all others—to my amazement, frankly.

I am working interstate (in Melbourne) and bought a Crumpler bag that holds the OM-D. the 12/2 and the 45/1.8 (and a paperback and other life necessities).

To get to this point, I borrowed a friend's M8 (I used to shoot with an M3 back in the days), but I really did not like its shape, or its size, frankly. The OM-D with Jim's grip is a tiny, light street carry that really fits the hand, and the M8, with its grip, did not feel as comfortable or as easy to carry, for me. The Oly AF and the fold-out screen are huge pluses in shooting on the street, too.

The 12/2 and the 45/1.8 are excellent lenses, too, and are my two favourite focal lengths. And as long as I use only the Oly lenses, no lockups, either.

My only complaint is that you can't change the minimum shutter speed/Auto ISO relationship easily, AFAIK; I needed ISO 1000, and 1/125+ last week (shooting a gymnastics seminar) and I had to change to shutter priority for that and set the ISO manually.

Well, it all used to be manual in the old days, so I don't mind that. The images that come out of this small package are excellent, and (at least this week!) GAS has released its hold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    My only complaint is that you can't change the minimum shutter speed/Auto ISO relationship easily, AFAIK; I needed ISO 1000, and 1/125+ last week (shooting a gymnastics seminar) and I had to change to shutter priority for that and set the ISO manually.

Well, it all used to be manual in the old days, so I don't mind that. The images that come out of this small package are excellent, and (at least this week!) GAS has released its hold.
    Maybe this solves the auto ISO issue?
    User Guide: Getting the most out of the Olympus E-M5: Digital Photography Review

Post Thanks / Like

Some Action Stuff - Youth Soccer:

While I think I did okay, the camera, when compared to a dSLR, was not in the same league regarding C-AF. The C-AF on the Oly simply does not work, the images were shot with S-AF and the operator pumping the focus button. The EVF sucks when compared to a dSLR optical. But if one continued to follow the action with both eyes open, using the right when the EVF refreshed, and the left between refreshes, one could manage. This was five year olds, dunno if I could shoot something faster with similar results ... like seven year olds.

The more I work with the OM-D, the easier it is to get the shots I want. Hopefully I'm only an update or two away from a viable C-AF.

The DOF, as expected, is much more distracting due to lack of fast long lenses, multiplied by the small sensor, than my usual working dSLR's.

Gary
    Last edited by GaryAyala; 22nd July 2012 at 20:04.
    My Snaps are Here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pgmj View Post
    That is very helpful, and will solve the present need perfectly. Thank you.

Kit Laughlin, www.StretchTherapy.net/, www.KitLaughlin.com/bodypress/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GaryAyala View Post
    Some Action Stuff - Youth Soccer:

While I think I did okay, the camera, when compared to a dSLR, was not in the same league regarding C-AF. The C-AF on the Oly simply does not work, the images were shot with S-AF and the operator pumping the focus button. The EVF sucked when compared to a dSLR optical. but if one continued to follow the action with both eyes open, using the right when the EVF refreshed, and the left between refreshes, one could manage. This was five year olds, dunno if I could shoot something faster like seven year olds with the OM-D.

The more I work with the OM-D, the easier it is to get the shots I want. Hopefully I'm only an update or two away from a viable C-AF.

The DOF, as expected, is much more distracting due to lack of fast long lenses, multiplied by the small sensor, than my usual working dSLR's.

Gary
    Gary, you hit on the two things that I think are the things that keep the OM-D from solving all my needs, but honestly your results are so good that even though the OM-D may not be the *best* choice for sports/action photography, it is very clear that, for at least occasional use in those roles by a photographer who's developed a little (or more) skill with the camera, the OM-D is not a bad choice at all!

Post Thanks / Like

Gary, you hit on the two things that I think are the things that keep the OM-D from solving all my needs, but honestly your results are so good that even though the OM-D may not be the *best* choice for sports/action photography, it is very clear that, for at least occasional use in those roles by a photographer who's developed a little (or more) skill with the camera, the OM-D is not a bad choice at all!
    I agree 100%. I doubt I could have captured anything better with a dSLR, (after all these were five year old), but a dSLR certainly would have made my job easier.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I quite agree - as long as one doesn't try using c-af, then the really blazingly fast s-af can generally do the job - clearly if you're a sports shooter by trade it's not the right option. However, for someone like me who doesn't shoot enough sport to master the complicated c-af on a Nikon, the OMD may even be better in that it's simple and predictable.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I advertise to sell my 5D2 and lens after getting the OM-D...The output quality meet my requirement + light weight..