The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

Knorp

So. The architect loves Lego, or maybe ships? And could that be a trampoline on the top? Odd indeed.
It's not a trampoline, but if you look carefully you'll notice a basketball backboard and hoop.
Imagine a basketball field on top of the roof.
Now is that an oddity or what ?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Do you mean the 35-100/2.8 or the 35-100 kitlens?
The 2.8

To be a bit more exact: it's great up to around 80mm, but I bought it to get more reach than the Zuiko 75mm. I'd rather use the Zuiko and crop a bit. I also have the Samyang 50mm f/1.2 which is at leasr as good as the Zuiko.

biglouis

The 2.8

To be a bit more exact: it's great up to around 80mm, but I bought it to get more reach than the Zuiko 75mm. I'd rather use the Zuiko and crop a bit. I also have the Samyang 50mm f/1.2 which is at leasr as good as the Zuiko.
I'm really surprised about this, Jorgen. I feel that my 35-100/2.8 is better than my 12-35/2.8. Admitedly, I use it less and indeed bought it for a specific purpose but I'm very happy with it and when I need to do detail work on buildings I find it produces high quality images even at 100mm. To be fair I rarely stop down less that f4, so that may be a reason.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm really surprised about this, Jorgen. I feel that my 35-100/2.8 is better than my 12-35/2.8. Admitedly, I use it less and indeed bought it for a specific purpose but I'm very happy with it and when I need to do detail work on buildings I find it produces high quality images even at 100mm. To be fair I rarely stop down less that f4, so that may be a reason.

LouisB
You are right, Louis. I've just concluded an extensive research into the photos that I took in Myanmar a couple of weeks ago, and the conclusion is that the lens is fine. The problem seems to be the GX8, and I suppose that it's the "shutter shock" that this camera has become famous for. I've been shooting with electronic shutter set to "Auto", or at lest that was what I thought (there doesn't seem to be any information about this in the EXIF). Still, I have blur in most photos taken at between 1/120 and 1/240s, plus the occasional ones at 1/80, 1/100 and 1/320s.

There are three possibilities:

- I have for some reason set electronic shutter to "Off" and forgotten to set it back to "Auto".
- The "Auto" function dosen't work properly.
- I'm imagining things.

I'll do some more tests the coming weekend, but if I can't improve the results, I'll sell the camera and buy a GX85. I really wouldn't like to do that, since I absolutely love the ergonomics of the GX8 as well as the image quality when there are no problems. I must say though that I have had problems with the Zuiko 75mm on the same camera during a portrait session a few months ago. Blurred eyelashes in more or less every second photo.

Unfortunately, when using auto ISO with the GX8, the camera tends to choose shutter speeds within the affected area when this lens or the 75mm is mounted.

I managed to save the lens from a pending sale btw. :)

k-hawinkler

For what it’s worth, on the Sony A9 Auto AF chooses the mechanical shutter unless exposure time is shorter than 1/8000 s. So pretty useless to me.

The GX8 manual should have the info about Auto AF, no?

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For what it’s worth, on the Sony A9 Auto AF choses the mechanical shutter unless exposure time is shorter than 1/8000 s. So pretty useless to me.

The GX8 manual should have the info about Auto AF, no?
The automatic electronic shutter of the GX8 is supposed to work at shutter speeds where there's a danger of "shutter shock", mainly between 1/60 and 1/240s, and was introduced as a firmware upgrade in November 2015. However, it isn't even mentioned in Panasonic's upgrade page:

Update Contents for DMC-GX8

Dpr mentions it in their review of the camera though.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx8-review/5

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx8-review/4

What I see now is that they only found that it worked with two of the lenses that they had at their disposal, the 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 and the 12-35mm F2.8. To be honest, I didn't check when this situation arose if there was a shutter sound or not, and I won't be able to test it again until I pick the 35-100mm up at the shop where I left it. I do suspect though that it doesn't actually work with that lens. If that is the case, I might have to use the 35-100mm with the GM5, although that is a bit awkward. A better (and cheap) solution is probably to buy a GX85 for long lenses.

There's nothing in the manual about this.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a photo that makes me sad. All over Southeast Asia, and probably in developing countries across the world, people are increasingly giving their children milk. However, much of the milk that is sold is heavily sweetened, and in this case, it's sweetened condensed milk. While there's still considerable nutrition value in some of these milk products, all the sugar will give the children massive health problems in a few decades. Heart disease, cancer and diabetes is exploding in Southeast Asia, and added sugar is one of the culprits.

Aggressive marketing and lack of education is an unbeatable combination if you want to poison the population.

GX8 with Pana 35-100mm f/2.8 @ 59mm and f/3.5