Site Sponsors

Thread: Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42 asph

Post Thanks / Like

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42 asph

Hello. I'm interested in knowing the real differences between the Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
    And the
    Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 II ASPH. O.I.S.
    Is there a real difference in sharpness, aside from the construction and filter size?
    Thank you.
    Ach.
    Last edited by Antonio Chagin; 22nd August 2013 at 13:03.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42 asph

Does anyone has at least and opinion on either one of them. Are they any good?
    ACH

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42 asph

Yes. I got one of these, the mega version. also had the 12-50 standard zoom from Olympus.
    can't help you compare the two panasonics but just in case you are curious about one vs the standard zoom.

I sold that standard zoom and kept the panasonic pancake zoom. They are very similar in terms of sharpness, with various opinions leaning either way. A lot of people prefer the standard zoom because it has a mechanical zoom option (and an electronic zoom), while the Panasonic has only electronically assisted zoom.

HOWEVER, the trade off is almost 4 fold increase in length. The panasonic zoom keeps the camera in a much smaller package. I found the standard zoom unusable because the large size defeats the purpose of having a compact system.

Personally I have the pancake zoom for general purpose outdoor shooting, and have the 17 mm and 25mm pancake prime lenses