The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Olympus High End m43 Camera

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is definitely a nice step forward, albeit it does not solve the issue that aperture rings on some Panasonic lenses are still not supported by Olympus m43 cameras :banghead:

What a B...S... decision :thumbdown:
Apart from Fuji, few other current AF lenses have aperture rings anyway, and just a few PL lenses have it on Panasonic. Since it's not available on all lenses, I don't use it on any. If I did, I would have to start thinking, remembering what kind of lens I have mounted.

I use a mix of Zuiko and Panasonic lenses on my Panasonic bodies (and on the E-M1 in the past). Never had a problem. Not one. No dual IS? No problem. It says so in the viewfinder. Only two Zuiko lenses have OIS anyway, and I have neither.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I know that a Sony A7000 does not belong into this forum and also not into this threat - but why I am posting is because of the awesome specs of the soon to be announced Sony A7000 (APSC) camera - very important and outstanding a 32MP sensor, blackout free shooting, 925 PDAF points and ISO 64-64000. All this will it make very difficult to position something against that camera and technology.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/...tm_content=20190102_DCW_Newsletter+&utm_term=

If Sony only had a decent lineup of APSC pro-grade lenses :bugeyes:

biglouis

Now we're getting somewhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=Lf6nx1VmnQs

I guess the lens shown in some sequences is the new telephoto zoom. The shape of the hood indicates that it goes from 100mm or wider. I can feel the GAS :chug:
I'm puzzled that they concentrate on sports. Are sports pros (surely, not a big market?) going to buy such a rig over Canon or Nikon? Are parents really going to buy a kit like this to photograph their children playing soccer?

Why do both Olympus and Canon overlook again and again what I believe is a much larger market in wildlife enthusiasts looking for the best system?

Maybe people like me are just in the minority and I am wrong.

At least we have a date and know now this is definitely not vapourware.

But I agree, waves of GAS this morning after watching this.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sports photographers are known to use the best gear available. That's what Olympus wants to be associated with, the best gear available. If it's good enough for sports photographers, it's good enough for anyone.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Sports photographers are known to use the best gear available. That's what Olympus wants to be associated with, the best gear available. If it's good enough for sports photographers, it's good enough for anyone.
Unfortunately this is true and IMO sports photography is totally OVERestimated! Actually it is totally unimportant as sports itself and is hyped and marketed just to sell whatever people associate with whatever specific kind of sport they watch or try to do themselves.

Apart from that it must be a super wildlife camera combo as well and as meanwhile an all Olympus m43 PRO user this is all high on my radar and buying list. I assume you called that GAS :banghead:

raist3d

I said this elsewhere already, but just for the record here- on first pass I think this camera if it's the size it seems and the rumored price, seems to me a mistake.

I rather have Olympus focus on small and top tech. PenF / OMD EM5 MKII sized bodies but as much top tech they can cram in the space.

I think going big in both lenses and bodies is what killed the old 4/3rds system and I think this kind of camera erodes the unique selling proposition of the system. I think it would have been better to come out with a top pro OMD EM5 sized camera, and sell a separate grip maybe even with more CPU power as an expansion, and that way get to an optional setup to $3k USD with higher performance- but not make it the de-facto.

For anyone saying "but m43rds has smaller bodies so choice is good" I answer- sure, we have those smaller bodies but with outdated or not top tech.

We'll see soon enough how this thing does.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I said this elsewhere already, but just for the record here- on first pass I think this camera if it's the size it seems and the rumored price, seems to me a mistake.

I rather have Olympus focus on small and top tech. PenF / OMD EM5 MKII sized bodies but as much top tech they can cram in the space.

I think going big in both lenses and bodies is what killed the old 4/3rds system and I think this kind of camera erodes the unique selling proposition of the system. I think it would have been better to come out with a top pro OMD EM5 sized camera, and sell a separate grip maybe even with more CPU power as an expansion, and that way get to an optional setup to $3k USD with higher performance- but not make it the de-facto.

For anyone saying "but m43rds has smaller bodies so choice is good" I answer- sure, we have those smaller bodies but with outdated or not top tech.

- Ricardo
Actually I could not agree more!

I would have loved to see an EM1.3 same size as the EM1.2 with a subset of features that will come in the EM1X and then an additional grip with adding more the functionality (handheld High Res etc.) and make the total price around $3000.- But then one would have the possibility of choice and I would have chosen the EM1.3 body only and for not more that max. $2000.-

Given all this evolution in m43 and unfortunately in Olympus territory I am meanwhile seriously looking going back into FF mirrorless with either the Nikon Z6 or Z7 as these cameras and also the S-lenses are nice and small - see latest 4/14-35. And with the Z7 I would have 45MP that I could nicely crop to >20MP in APSC mode and still have much better high ISO performance while also getting further reach with tele zooms. And as I do NOT need the crazy frame rates for my type of shooting that would be more than perfect.

I am pretty much on the fence of getting out of m43 and choose any of the existing or upcoming (aka Panasonic) FF solutions.

Elderly

I think going big in both lenses and bodies is what killed the old 4/3rds system and I think this kind of camera erodes the unique selling proposition of the system. I think it would have been better to come out with a top pro OMD EM5 sized camera, …...

- Ricardo
/\ This.

I've just borrowed back my original EM5 from my son for back-up purposes.

I had forgotten what a tiny wonder it is, which was MY reason for getting into the Olympus Micro4/3rds system in the first place.

archiM44

- Ricardo
Ricardo,
I agree entirely. I usually leave my EM12 and take my Pen F which I just feel better with. Almost as well as with my old Leica M9. The M5II are ok but it definitely is outdated.
If I wanted a bigger size I'd probably go to the Nikon Z cameras

biglouis

Actually I could not agree more!

Given all this evolution in m43 and unfortunately in Olympus territory I am meanwhile seriously looking going back into FF mirrorless with either the Nikon Z6 or Z7 as these cameras and also the S-lenses are nice and small - see latest 4/14-35. And with the Z7 I would have 45MP that I could nicely crop to >20MP in APSC mode and still have much better high ISO performance while also getting further reach with tele zooms. And as I do NOT need the crazy frame rates for my type of shooting that would be more than perfect.

I am pretty much on the fence of getting out of m43 and choose any of the existing or upcoming (aka Panasonic) FF solutions.
For me the real test point would be a mirrorless D500, e.g. a Z5(00). Couple that with a PF300, or the new PF 500 lens and frankly I'd find it hard to resist.

I'n beginning to think the big loser in the future will actually be Canon. From what I've read of the EOS R, I'd keep my m43rds system over it any day.

Anyway, the day is drawing closer to when we will discover if Olympus have just added what currently exists to a new body or whether they have really come up with something new.

LousiB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For me the real test point would be a mirrorless D500, e.g. a Z5(00). Couple that with a PF300, or the new PF 500 lens and frankly I'd find it hard to resist.

I'n beginning to think the big loser in the future will actually be Canon. From what I've read of the EOS R, I'd keep my m43rds system over it any day.

Anyway, the day is drawing closer to when we will discover if Olympus have just added what currently exists to a new body or whether they have really come up with something new.

LousiB
1. The E-M1X is not for everyone. It's mostly for people who are currently hauling cameras like the D5 or the 1DX II around, and maybe even some A9 users. This new camera doesn't mean that other Olympus bodies will suddenly stop working, or that there won't be any new, smaller models. Nikon produces both the D5 and the D3500 at the same time.

2. Yes, I think a mirrorless D500 would be a competitor, and even the current D500. If I were to shoot sports professionally again, the choice would be between the D500 and the E-M1X.

3. Yes, the loser may be Canon, but they have an ubelievably loyal customer base and their crop sensor mirrorless system is apparently selling well. Another possible loser is Sony. They have been dominating the full frame mirrorless market for years without any serious challengers. Now they need to compete and to renew themselves. The question is to what degree they are able to do that. In some ways, they are in the same position as Apple with the iPhone. Apple is already losing that battle.

raist3d

1. The E-M1X is not for everyone. It's mostly for people who are currently hauling cameras like the D5 or the 1DX II around, and maybe even some A9 users.
The A9 afaik is not that big

This new camera doesn't mean that other Olympus bodies will suddenly stop working, or that there won't be any new, smaller models. Nikon produces both the D5 and the D3500 at the same time.
True, the other smaller bodies don't stop working- but what the other smaller bodies are missing is top tech of the system. They either use the years old outdated 16MP, or no weather sealing, or 1-2 generations behind AF, etc.

The issue I see is that in the mean time a bigger camera is coming out at the $3k tier (USD) and you have to wonder how the unique selling proposition of the system is sold and differentiated with the very capable mirrorless out there. Even a Sony A7III.

2. Yes, I think a mirrorless D500 would be a competitor, and even the current D500. If I were to shoot sports professionally again, the choice would be between the D500 and the E-M1X.
Shooting sports in lower light stadiums- which camera will do better ISO, DR, etc.? Or in daylight- again... I dunno.

3. Yes, the loser may be Canon, but they have an ubelievably loyal customer base and their crop sensor mirrorless system is apparently selling well.
So does Nikon. I have heard so far ZERO considering other systems from the FF people that use Canon or Nikon- other than Sony.

Another possible loser is Sony. They have been dominating the full frame mirrorless market for years without any serious challengers. Now they need to compete and to renew themselves. The question is to what degree they are able to do that. In some ways, they are in the same position as Apple with the iPhone. Apple is already losing that battle.
Sony seems to be doing that just fine actually. Oh, and what about that Fuji XT3...

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The A9 afaik is not that big
It is when you add the grip, which is needed for sports photography to avoid running out of battery power too often.

True, the other smaller bodies don't stop working- but what the other smaller bodies are missing is top tech of the system. They either use the years old outdated 16MP, or no weather sealing, or 1-2 generations behind AF, etc.
Still, I'm happy using my ancient GX8 bodies and the GM5.

The issue I see is that in the mean time a bigger camera is coming out at the $3k tier (USD) and you have to wonder how the unique selling proposition of the system is sold and differentiated with the very capable mirrorless out there. Even a Sony A7III.
Size of lenses, weight of the total system. Have you ever wandered around at a sports event for 10 hours with 3 camera bodies and 5-6 lenses, total weight 10-20 kg?

Shooting sports in lower light stadiums- which camera will do better ISO, DR, etc.? Or in daylight- again... I dunno.
Full frame is better at low light, much better. A full time sports pro would need two systems, but the longest lenses are rarely needed indoor.

So does Nikon. I have heard so far ZERO considering other systems from the FF people that use Canon or Nikon- other than Sony.
Canon and Nikon share more than 75% of the ILC market. Sony has a 14% share, or at least that was what it looked like a year ago. Canon and Nikon don't need to sell to anybody but their own customers to achieve a much larger volume than Sony.

Sony seems to be doing that just fine actually. Oh, and what about that Fuji XT3...
I think Canikon are much more afraid of Fuji than of Sony. Fuji is an old name in the camera business and will probably remain there. They have also proven to be very dynamic and able to launch new, innovative products at a fast pace. If Sony closes down its ILC business tomorrow, it will hardly be noticable in their annual report.

pegelli

It is when you add the grip, which is needed for sports photography to avoid running out of battery power too often.
The A9 uses the new (much larger capacity) battery so the grip is not needed as much for the A9, A7iii and A7Riii for reasons of battery power.
It's the batteries in the original and ii series A7 cameras that have a much smaller capacity and are thought to be inpractical without a grip by some people.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The A9 uses the new (much larger capacity) battery so the grip is not needed as much for the A9, A7iii and A7Riii for reasons of battery power.
It's the batteries in the original and ii series A7 cameras that have a much smaller capacity and are thought to be inpractical without a grip by some people.
Sports photographers easily shoot 2-5,000 images per day. 4K video eats batteries too. Yes, the grip is needed. There is a reason why cameras like the D5 and the 1DX II can do 5,000 photos on one charge. Battery saving modes and other smart features won't help in these situations. Maximum performance is needed at all times, including maximum refresh rates of the viewfinder.