Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TLRs anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

TLRs anyone?

Anyone here still shooting with a twin lens reflex?

I dug my own Mamiya C220 out of the closet recently and loaded up a roll of Ilford B&W film. It's a real joy to use.

I had a look a KEH and discovered the price of used TLR lenses is very attractive indeed. Just received a beautiful 180 Super in the mail today..$215.

A very simple camera to use....and those 6x6 negatives are superb.

Gary

Here's one from a time when the Mamiya C220 was my ONLY camera.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TLRs anyone?

Gary,

I'm still using a Lubitel which I bought back in 1994 for USD 20. Difficult to focus and results are sometimes a bit unpredictable but it's real fun to use.

Cheers
    William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am still shooting with my relatively new (to me) Rollieflex. I absolutely love that camera. I mean as in want to hold it and fondle it kind of love. The hardest part is readjusting to the time required between shooting and seeing the images. Oh yeah, and my scanner sucks. But the quality is amazing and it is about as simple as a camera can get.

My list of cameras is very modest compared to many who hang out here, yet I still struggle a bit with taking full advantage of all their potential on a regular basis. I find myself going on benders with just one outfit at the expense of the others. Right now it's my lowly Nikon. But the Rollei beckons and she's up next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've heard so much about the Rollieflex TLRs, but I've never actually had the opportunity to see or hold one. Maybe someday. That kind of precision craftmanship is such a joy to experience. Which model do you have TR?

Might be time to get a scanner worthy of your Rollie! :-)

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I used one for both my wedding and personal work and love it!

Cheers,

Oxide Blu

My absolute favorite film camera is my Yashica 4x4 TLR. No swappable lens like the Mamiya, but much smaller and compact. And I adore 127 film.

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is my baby. Pictured here in a photo taken by the seller. Bought it from a collector and it was (still is) pristine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    This is my baby. Pictured here in a photo taken by the seller. Bought it from a collector and it was (still is) pristine.
    Stunningly beautiful! Is that a f2.8 Zeiss Planar?

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Stunningly beautiful! Is that a f2.8 Zeiss Planar?

Gary
    Yup. 80mm f2.8 Zeiss Planar.

Oxide Blu

Nice Rollei. I'd love to get my hands on a pristine Baby Rolleiflex -- a 4x4 Rollei that uses 127 film.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oxide Blu View Post
    Nice Rollei. I'd love to get my hands on a pristine Baby Rolleiflex -- a 4x4 Rollei that uses 127 film.
    Are you a fan of the 4x4/127 film cameras because of the smaller size? I have the impression that the Rollei 6x6 TLR is already smaller than my Mamiya TLR.

Gary

Oxide Blu

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Are you a fan of the 4x4/127 film cameras because of the smaller size? I have the impression that the Rollei 6x6 TLR is already smaller than my Mamiya TLR.

Gary
    Yup. Because it is an archaic film size, the cameras that take that film have older lenses without the modern coatings. Also, a 4x4 image just barely fits into a 35mm carousel for slide projection. There are slide holders made for 4x4 slides. They are called 'super slides'.

I also have a Sawyer 4x4 TLR and 3 KOMA Flex 4x4 SLRs. But the Yashica 4x4 is may fav because of the lens.

Note: the Koma SLRs are a scaled down version of the KOWA Six SLRs -- flip the 'W' over to be an 'M' -- KoWa, KoMa. Kowa made the first medium format SLRs with interchangeable lenses.

The Baby Rollei (4x4) I'd love to get my hands on:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oxide Blu View Post
    The Baby Rollei (4x4) I'd love to get my hands on:

Oooooo.....now that is a beauty too! Can't be many of these around.

Ok...I can see that I'll have to learn alot more about Rolleis before diving into that pool.

Something about these TLRs. They are sort of the antithesis of the auto everything camera, whether film or digital. I suppose the only thing more basic is a view camera or a pinhole camera.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The collector who sold me mine had one camera remaining. It was another pristine camera, the grey Baby Rollei much like the one you posted as an example. He said he was going to keep it for himself. If you're interested, I can get you his info, he may still have it.

And I agree, these TLRs are simply elegant. Silent and solid. None of the mirror slap you get from a similar vintage Hassy, and no blackout during the exposure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Riccis View Post
    I used one for both my wedding and personal work and love it!

Cheers,
    Wonderful shot Riccis. Everyone talks about the Leica rangefinder's as great cameras for street photography, but I think the TLRs are right up there too.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think we need a few more TLR images here....although I'm quite happy to enjoy looking at the cameras themselves too . :-)

Here's one more from my Mamiya C220. This was taken on Galveston Island, Texas in the mid-90s. Unfortunately, the lab in Houston botched the development of this roll of film and there was severe streaking on the negatives. I've tried to fix it in Photoshop as best I can. Still an image I enjoy....brings back some great memories. I rode my bicycle all over the island with my trusty Mamiya TLR in a pannier.

Some things work in the square format....I thought this one worked better cropped to a rectangular image.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anymore TLR images to share?

Here's one more from my Mamiya C220....most likely the 80mm lens.

Galveston, Texas commercial fishing boat rigging.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi,

I use a TLR too. It is a Rolleiflex 2.8E3 with the Xenotar wich gave and gives me entire satisfaction : very crispy even at 2.8 wide open.
    ---------------------------------
    http://stef974.tumblr.com/
    ---------------------------------

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just picked up my "new" Rolleiflex 2.8F and itching to get out and shoot some film again. I had the same model about 40 years ago and now have to get re-aquainted with MF film shooting and processing. I used to shoot with the old Tech Pan near the end of my former film period, but since that is no longer available thought I would try the relatively new Rollei ATP 1.1 film. Anyone here using this film? Processing recommendations?

My new/old friend:

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carl,
    Congratulations! Your Rollei is beautiful. I love the look of photos from the Rollei and will be watching for your posts.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Carl,
    Congratulations! Your Rollei is beautiful. I love the look of photos from the Rollei and will be watching for your posts.
    Thanks Cindy. I recently posted some of my old rollei shots but now I need to get out with the new one and see if the rollei magic is still there.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Finally found some time to shoot and develop some film from the Rolleiflex. Here are a few test shots taken in the Newman Arboretum at the lily pond pergola. Used tmax 100 and developed in tmax dev 1:4. Scanned with my new Nikon 9000 (thanks to Robert!). Also shot some fall color using Ektar and looking forward to getting the negs back from Praus Labs in Rochester. Bill Maxwell made a new screen for the Rollei which is a big improvement compared to the old stock screen. Now I just need to get my cataracts removed so I can see it better

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Finally found some time to shoot and develop some film from the Rolleiflex. Here are a few test shots taken in the Newman Arboretum at the lily pond pergola. Used tmax 100 and developed in tmax dev 1:4. Scanned with my new Nikon 9000 (thanks to Robert!). Also shot some fall color using Ektar and looking forward to getting the negs back from Praus Labs in Rochester. Bill Maxwell made a new screen for the Rollei which is a big improvement compared to the old stock screen. Now I just need to get my cataracts removed so I can see it better

These look really nice. Now I know why you sold the Nikon 5000.
    Are you using Nikonscan, Silverfast or Vuescan?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Carl. Glad to see the 9000 arrived safely.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

These look really nice. Now I know why you sold the Nikon 5000.
    Are you using Nikonscan, Silverfast or Vuescan?
    Thanks Cindy. I'm using both Nikon Scan (Mac OS X) and Vuescan but I actually prefer Nikon Scan which I used for these scans. Just starting with the 9000, but the same interface so not much different from what I was doing before with the Nikon V other than now I can work with bigger negs. I gave up my darkroom long ago, but I still enjoy souping B&W negatives occasionally just using a film changing tent and kitchen processing with daylight tanks.

Are you still using a Rollei for 120 film work? I really like using this camera, but have to get used to working around the limited DOF again.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Very nice Carl. Glad to see the 9000 arrived safely.
    Thanks Robert. The 9000 arrived on schedule this morning and as you can see I put it to work right away. It is working very well and I want to thank you again for the excellent service. I had some concerns about possible firewire issues when installing, but no problems so far. My Mac intel computer has FW800 ports only so I just plugged the scanner into a powered FW400 port on my external FW hard drive and it works just fine.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carl, I sold my Rolleiflex f/2.8f (much to my dismay). I will be buying another Rollieflex some time in the future. The files have a special look that I just love. I'm using Mamiya 7/7II for medium format now.

I have my 9000 plugged into my external FW hard drives, but I also have the fw400/fw800 adapter so that I can plug it right into the Intel Mac. When they designed the FW800, they made it backward compatible to the FW400, so you can just put the adapter on the FW400.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Always loved Rolleiflex TLRs. Had a number of them over the years. A 1949 Rolleiflex belonging to my grandfather was amongst the first couple of cameras I had to use and learn with.

Sold my last one in the early 2000s; recently helped a photographer friend find a minty, late series Rolleiflex 2.8F for her personal work.

Lovely cameras, beautiful photos.

Post Thanks / Like

You can't beat a TLR for candid photography. You have to hold a leica, or typical range finder, to your eye to compose whilst you can casually look down into the viewfinder of a TLR and your subjects haven't a clue what's happening. The leaf shutters are virtually inaudible too. I love TLR's for that kind of photography.

JJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just found a very nice Mamiya C33 with 80mm 2.8 lens for $40. Can't wait to give it a try. Anybody use one before?

Post Thanks / Like

I still shoot with my C330F. I posted some photos in the big non-Leica thread. I'm busy using up my left-over 35mm Kodachrome film before the end of the year, but once that's done I'll get to shoot more 6x6 and 6x7 (with my RB67 Pro SD).
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some Ektar scans from the Rollei also taken at the arboretum. I was surprised at the saturation level of this film - almost like a negative version of velvia.

Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

More Ektar scans from the Rolleiflex 2.8F. Taken at the local Farmers Market and Steamboat Landing behind the market.

the empty market

exit to Steamboat Landing

Steamboat Landing on Cayuga Inlet

One of the market benches on the inlet
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These are nice, Carl. The empty market is my favorite. The colors look good in all of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by durrIII View Post
    Just found a very nice Mamiya C33 with 80mm 2.8 lens for $40. Can't wait to give it a try. Anybody use one before?
    I hope you bought it Durr....that's an excellent camera and lens for a price that is below "dirt cheap". I've been using my C220 for quite a few years.....and the C220 is even more basic than the C33/C330 models.

Gary

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

These are nice, Carl. The empty market is my favorite. The colors look good in all of them.
    Thank you Cindy. I'm really having fun using film again.
    Carl
    Gallery

tokengirl

I've never used a TLR, don't even really know anything about them. But this thread has piqued my interest. Very nice work everyone.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tokengirl View Post
    I've never used a TLR, don't even really know anything about them. But this thread has piqued my interest. Very nice work everyone.
    Claire,

Here is a forum dedicated to TLR photography and gear if you want to explore more.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...play.php?f=108
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

I've been shooting with a Rolleiflex T (75mm, f/3.5) for a year or so now and I LOVE it. Takes getting used to with the backwards image and square aspect ratio, but it's a lot of fun. Looking to get an 80mm/2.8 version now... Here's some samples:

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickT View Post
    I've been shooting with a Rolleiflex T (75mm, f/3.5) for a year or so now and I LOVE it. Takes getting used to with the backwards image and square aspect ratio, but it's a lot of fun. Looking to get an 80mm/2.8 version now... Here's some samples:
    Patrick,

Beautiful portraits and very nice work with the Rollei. I'm getting to like composing, shooting, and printing in the 1:1 format.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tokengirl View Post
    My interest in piqued as well. Dammit, more camera lust!

Carl and Patrick, your photos are sensational

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G View Post
    My interest in piqued as well. Dammit, more camera lust!

Carl and Patrick, your photos are sensational

+1

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

tlr always dear to my heart. here is a nugget of me taken in 1969 with my Yashicamat on one of my motorcycle projects

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

and a rollei shot from the 90's

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    and a rollei shot from the 90's
    John,

Beautiful portrait and nice B&W tonal scale.
    Carl
    Gallery

tetsrfun

tlr always dear to my heart. here is a nugget of me taken in 1969 with my Yashicamat on one of my motorcycle projects
    That brings back some memories...I has a BSA of the same vintage...a cake pan under the crank-case to collect the dripping oil and Lucas electrics that were less than reliable.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool photo Jim. Like Steve, I had a 1960s vintage BSA. It was my first motorcycle. A BSA Victor 441, single cylinder, kick start.....a terrible choice for a first motorcycle. Always had a devil of a time getting that big single to start. Surprised I don't have permanent bruises on my thigh from that kick starter.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terrific photos here folks. Glad to see so many are still using a TLR and producing such fine work. Thanks for sharing them with us!

Gary

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

my first bike was a BSA 500 single, (not a goldstar, that came later.) had timing retard lever and compression release

tetsrfun

my first bike was a BSA 500 single, (not a goldstar, that came later.) had timing retard lever and compression release
    I still have my 1955 BSA Road Rocket (still sitting in my ex-wife's garage..maybe??)......My '06 Triumph Thruxton gives me the British bike nostalgia with out the oil leaks and pushing a dead bike home. :>)

Steve