The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Negative feedback!!!

J

Jeff_Gao

guys - quick heads up.

nick on this forum is ColdCypher. Claims real name is Scott Gunderson. Email address [email protected]

Paypal account is verified, listed as Lydia Stanley.

Seller contacted me in response to my post for a Hasselblad CFV, offering a CFV-39 (back, protective case, , battery, charger, 12V car charger, cables, focusing screen, Phocus software) for $5700. Reason for selling due to an upgrade to a H4D.

I made payment via Paypal on Saturday, and after payment, I got this PM from him

I will be shipping it out Monday. Local Fedex office is closed on Sundays as is USPS. Shipping to UAE according to quote takes 8-12 days. Name is Scott Gunderson, email is [email protected]. I prefer to communicate via email thanks. I check every few hours so it will not be a problem.

So Monday comes around, morning comes and goes, and I don't hear from him. I drop him 2 emails trying to find out if the back was shipped, and got the following reply:

"Hello. Third time youve sent me an email today. I understand your anxiety, but it isnt going to help me get your item shipped any faster. Ill get off of work in 2 hours and then I will ship your item. Thanks."

So Monday comes and goes. No updates so far. Gmail indicates that he's on West Coast time (11.15 am at time of this writing), so I'm hoping to hear from him soon.

I'm getting very concerned because shipment was made when it was supposed to (Monday), and missed one promised shipment with no updates since.

Signed up 2 Aug 2011, one post, offering to sell a Hasselblad 903SWC

Does anyone have info about Scott? Or should I inform Paypal to stop the payment?

Update: 17 Aug 2011 - Still no response from ColdCypher. Have escalated to Paypal for resolution and claim. I am almost certain this one is a scammer.

Yeah, he is a scammer. Fraud alert!

He offered me the 903SWC. He actually sent me some pictures of the camera.

Payment was made on Aug. 2nd. He said he needed extra time for Paypal payment clearance. I was ok with that. Then on Aug. 5th, he said he sent out the camera without any shipping info.

After I pressed for tracking, he simply disappeared. I already filed a dispute with Paypal. Looks like Paypal was his target for scamming. Since we will be protected by credit card.

TO save others from this mess. His ID needs to be publicized.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Folks, I have banned ColdCypher. We do our best to prevent these guys from even entering. PLEASE be careful when dealing with ANY new user that has less than 10 or even 50 posts. It is incumbent upon you to be smart and protect yourself. You do this by asking a lot of questions and asking for photos -- this is a photo forum, so folks should have the technology available to get you clean accurate images, including one or two with say the morning paper shown with the item? Most bad guys disappear the second you start digging. Google their address and confirm it is a real address. Use Paypal for it's buyer protection, and give the seller just 24 hours to respond with tracking info before you report it. And remember the most important thing: if a deal seems even a little too good to be true, it most likely is -- the best cons are set up that way so that "the mark" can be more easily convinced of it's veracity, but is enticed to act quickly so nobody else snags the "great deal" out from under them.

anthonysemone

For whatever sum of money the buyer deems "large," you can always, at least in the US, purchase a background check from the various sellers on the web. Be aware, however, that very sophisticated scammers may well already have purchased a subscription to a service which blocks any Google/Bing/Yahoo search from revealing any information about the individual. e.g., www.reputation.com

SKueh

I like to report my recent experiences dealing fellow member Mr. Ian Watts.

2 days ago, Mr. Watts placed an ads entitled: Feeler: Leica F2 Summicron Black Paint (from MP Classic set), In the ads he stated that he was going to get a BP classic MP set but only interested in the camera. He want to sell the lens for US$3300.00 plus shipping and insurance if anyone interested in it. I immediately PM him of my interest to buyi the lens. He acknowledged my PM and told me he will inform me later if he decides the buy the set.

Yesterday (8/22/11) I received a PM from MR. Watts. This is how he wrote. Quote: Just to keep you in the picture re: BP 50 Summicron, I have learned that the condition of the body & lens is even better than I thought - being 100% unused/as new. I have decided to buy the set and will pick it up this morning. However, somebody outside of this forum has already offered to buy it for GBP 2500. It is not my intention to 'auction' it to the highest bidder but, having already expressed an interest, I thought I should at least let you have first refusal on the lens. I will understand if you feel that the price is now more than you would like to pay. Best regards, Ian. Unquote.

Mr. Watts not only did not honor his initial advertised price for the lens but jacked up the price to GBP 2500.00. He also edited his ads the same day to cover his price hiking. Interesting that he mentioned that someone already offered to buy his lens for GBP 2500.00. In reality, he placed another ads in Leica User Forum and sold the lens for GBP 2500.00 (See the following link: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica...ck_Paint_50_Summicron_Jahre_SALE_PENDING.html)

Mr. Watts’ credibility is seriously questionable and I think a negative feedback is in order.

To Moderator: Does this type of ads has a place in “Gear FS or WTB”? Mr. Watts clearly did not have possession of the lens for sell at the time of posting. He meanly solicited commitment for buying the lens so he can go ahead buying the set without wearing about finding a buyer for the lens and then jacked out the price after the exploitation.

Thank you.

S.Kueh

wattsy

Mr. Watts’ credibility is seriously questionable and I think a negative feedback is in order.
I guess that is for others to judge but I would like to make a few points.

First, my original feeler ad made it quite clear that I had not yet bought the item in question and that I was soliciting expressions of interest and not a commitment to buy.
Second, at no stage in my limited correspondence with Mr Kueh did I accept (or indicate an acceptance of) his offer to buy the lens.
Third, after I had a chance to talk to the dealer on Monday morning I revised my opinion about the value of the lens and I decided to sell it elsewhere at a higher price. I PMed Mr Kueh out of politeness giving him first refusal but without any expectation that he would want to buy at the higher price.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just to ad a train of thought here. A buyer has many reasons to buy a item from a seller, a seller has the same rights to sell to a certain buyer.

There are many reasons going in both directions on this. I could state a whole bunch of reasons in either direction. I'm not going too bore people with stating those reasons. GetDPI makes no judgements here and are not involved in these sales. These are between buyer and seller. Sometimes things just don't work out.

J

Jeff_Gao

I believe I might be the first one to PM wattsy regarding the 35mm cron lens. We discussed the price and shipping. But that was it.

I would NOT consider it was a final deal unless wattsy would have contacted me again and asked for payment.

SYGTAFOTO

I like to report my recent experiences dealing fellow member Mr. Ian Watts.

2 days ago, Mr. Watts placed an ads entitled: Feeler: Leica F2 Summicron Black Paint (from MP Classic set), In the ads he stated that he was going to get a BP classic MP set but only interested in the camera. He want to sell the lens for US$3300.00 plus shipping and insurance if anyone interested in it. I immediately PM him of my interest to buyi the lens. He acknowledged my PM and told me he will inform me later if he decides the buy the set.

Yesterday (8/22/11) I received a PM from MR. Watts. This is how he wrote. Quote: Just to keep you in the picture re: BP 50 Summicron, I have learned that the condition of the body & lens is even better than I thought - being 100% unused/as new. I have decided to buy the set and will pick it up this morning. However, somebody outside of this forum has already offered to buy it for GBP 2500. It is not my intention to 'auction' it to the highest bidder but, having already expressed an interest, I thought I should at least let you have first refusal on the lens. I will understand if you feel that the price is now more than you would like to pay. Best regards, Ian. Unquote.

Mr. Watts not only did not honor his initial advertised price for the lens but jacked up the price to GBP 2500.00. He also edited his ads the same day to cover his price hiking. Interesting that he mentioned that someone already offered to buy his lens for GBP 2500.00. In reality, he placed another ads in Leica User Forum and sold the lens for GBP 2500.00 (See the following link: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica...ck_Paint_50_Summicron_Jahre_SALE_PENDING.html)

To Moderator: Does this type of ads has a place in “Gear FS or WTB”? Mr. Watts clearly did not have possession of the lens for sell at the time of posting. He meanly solicited commitment for buying the lens so he can go ahead buying the set without wearing about finding a buyer for the lens and then jacked out the price after the exploitation.

Thank you.

S.Kueh
It looks like there was never a formal acknowledgement from either sides that the seller has deemed you as the buyer of the lens. In fact, you were already aware that the seller did not actually have the lens in hand at the time of the posting, hence feeler. Why are you complaining whether this type of ad is allowed now that you won't get the lens? I wouldn't call it exploitation because the seller clearly explained his situation beforehand.

Just my $0.02.

wattsy

With hindsight doing the feeler ad wasn't one of my best ideas and Mr Kueh may have a point that perhaps they shouldn't be encouraged in the buy and sell subforum. There is something a bit vague about doing a feeler and it is difficult not to be a bit cagey not actually having the for-sale item in hand and essentially dipping a toe in the water regarding pricing. It is much easier to sell something when you know the exact condition and can specify the exact price you want for it.

NorthWestDork

Potential Scammer

User: isf417
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/member.php?u=12162
Claimed name: Brandon Henry
Email: [email protected]

I posted a WTB post a week or two ago looking for a Canon 1Dmk2. He replied to me stating he was a casual browser on these forums and had a 1Dmk2 to sell because he had a 1Dmk3. He sent me a few pictures and thought the deal was good. Now its almost 2 weeks later, and almost a week since his last reply to myself. He sent some pictures and even looking at the exif data I thought I was okay, but guess not.

EXIF Data:
Author: Photographer: Jack Michaud;
Copyright: Copyright: Jack Michaud Photography, jmphotocraft.com

Date and time stamps from exif info correspond to the 14th of August, and it even lists a 5Dmk2, 28mm focal length, f4, 1/60 sec exposure etc under exif. I felt it was legit, english was spot on too with no unusual mannerisms.

I have filed a dispute with Paypal and Ill cross my fingers that I can get some money back, but I assume I am $600 down the drain. If anyone knows a Jack Michaud or a Brandon Henry that would be greatly appreciated.

Karlo

Potential Scammer

I posted a WTB post a week or two ago looking for a Canon 1Dmk2. He replied to me stating he was a casual browser on these forums and had a 1Dmk2 to sell because he had a 1Dmk3. He sent me a few pictures and thought the deal was good. Now its almost 2 weeks later, and almost a week since his last reply to myself. He sent some pictures and even looking at the exif data I thought I was okay, but guess not.

EXIF Data:

Date and time stamps from exif info correspond to the 14th of August, and it even lists a 5Dmk2, 28mm focal length, f4, 1/60 sec exposure etc under exif. I felt it was legit, english was spot on too with no unusual mannerisms.

I have filed a dispute with Paypal and Ill cross my fingers that I can get some money back, but I assume I am $600 down the drain. If anyone knows a Jack Michaud or a Brandon Henry that would be greatly appreciated.
Tried this ?

http://who.godaddy.com/whois.aspx?domain=jmphotocraft.com&prog_id=GoDaddy

NorthWestDork

I contacted Jack Michaud and he informed me the pictures used were from
an eBay auction he had a while back. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope paypal can get me my money back.

NorthWestDork

I did go through as a paypal purchase for "goods". But im not 100% sure if they leaves me any guarantees on money back. I am reading through the guidelines for Paypal Buyer Protection and so far I fit all the guidelines for coverage. Ive had my paypal account for almost 10 years now, so hopefully this process is better than when they first started up.

Last time I had to dispute a transaction some 8 years ago I was left high and dry with no recourse...

Mod, if the pictures are from someone else is it a confirmed scam then?

Hopefully you used paypal purchase.

ghoonk

Potential Scammer

EXIF Data:

The modus operandi appears to be consistent with ColdCypher, aka 'Scott Gunderson'.

voe

Beware of user "enenrf"

User: enenrf
Name: Hao Li

I sold my Leica M8/M9 grip and black Leica UV 46mm filter to "enenrf".
For sale thread is here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=350630 He payed on Friday afternoon Melbourne, Australia time. The earliest I could send the items was following Monday morning with Regular postage as he payed $15USD for postage which barely covered the postage fee of $21AUD, which is not a big issue at all.

Once I told him the parcel was sent he asked for tracking number. I explained to him that $15 barely covered for Regular postage and that tracking is only included with more expensive postage. From that point on he started behaving really rude and threatened me that if he doesn't receive the parcel within 10 days he will open a Paypal dispute and will take his money back.
In less than a week from me sending the parcel this person opened a Paypal dispute and took his money back.

I feel cheated and dissapointed. It's really a nasty thing to do and I would advise other forum members to be aware.

Cheers,

Voe

Vobluda

Re: Beware of user "enenrf"

Man, that sucks:///

User: enenrf
Name: Hao Li

I sold my Leica M8/M9 grip and black Leica UV 46mm filter to "enenrf".
For sale thread is here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=350630 He payed on Friday afternoon Melbourne, Australia time. The earliest I could send the items was following Monday morning with Regular postage as he payed $15USD for postage which barely covered the postage fee of $21AUD, which is not a big issue at all.

Once I told him the parcel was sent he asked for tracking number. I explained to him that $15 barely covered for Regular postage and that tracking is only included with more expensive postage. From that point on he started behaving really rude and threatened me that if he doesn't receive the parcel within 10 days he will open a Paypal dispute and will take his money back.
In less than a week from me sending the parcel this person opened a Paypal dispute and took his money back.

I feel cheated and dissapointed. It's really a nasty thing to do and I would advise other forum members to be aware.

Cheers,

Voe