The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-Pro2

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Must say that I would also buy a Fuji over all Sony models after all miserable experiences I had with them. Sony just let me completely down me off with their A900 and follow on strategy. And I even got 2 more used Sony Zeiss lenses for it (or the A99) - the 85 and the 135, which I sold again after a while as there was no mirror body coming and also no real replacement for the A mount, although there were always promises. And I am happy so far not to have entered Sony territory again since then.

Fuji I always liked (XPro1, XE2 and XT1) but sold them because AF was not quite there despite all the FW updates, as well as resolution.

Now the XPro2 brings the AF capabilities I need for wildlife, combined with that lovely hybrid VF. And the 100-400 which would just be a dream lens for me. Plus the additional resolution. And I just found that one can get Fuji lenses for very attractive prices (used or almost new) on eBay, so this is becoming really a big temptation. And I always loved the Fuji colors, actually much more than the Oly colors, although many here did not agree to that (remember the long epic discussions about weird greens and artifacts, which I never could make appear as hard as I even tried :D).

So far I kept the EM1 just for long reach and wildlife, but the Fuji sensor is larger (APSC versus m43) and offers already 24MP (Oly and Pana will best reach 20MP in the next 4 years in their top models) so from this considerations a switch would be a no brainer. The only camera from stopping me right now is the D500, which would even better fit into my Nikon ecosystem and be likely overall on top of the XPro2. But hey, then the D500 never will be a rangefinder (or hybrid view camera).

Decisions are really hard ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, You aren't buying any of them.
Hopefully, you are right, Vivek. I just bought a GM5 which is great fun The D500 is obviously on my shopping list, and will replace all other F-mount bodies except the D810. The "problem" with owning very good cameras is that it isn't easy to find an excuse to use anything else. The D810 is such a camera, and my workflow is centered around the resolution, the flat colour profile and the enormous DR that this camera offers.

When that has been said, the X-Pro2 does have some unique features, and if the video quality is good too... it will be tempting :)

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Unfortunately the D500 is so good, especially when one is already invested in the Nikon camp, that there are almost no real arguments not to buy it.

The XPro2 is nevertheless a totally different object of desire and tempting to throw aboard all logical considerations. But well, we only live once :cool:

jonoslack

Don't get too excited about that Epson tech. I've tried the SL a bunch of times and even once next to a A7sII. I prefer the Sony finder. The SL's finder does show fewer pixels nd things have less of a rough edge around them, but the actual screen sucks. Tones just look weird, blacks even worse, and you still need to zoom in to focus. The XT-1's finder is still probably the best I have used, and only because it has better magnification than the current Sony's. Leica sycophants can't admit this but that EVF sucks.
Pssssht - I've just spent a day shooting with M lenses on the SL - mostly with the 75 'cron at f2, and I've not zoomed in to focus once. Of course, you're entitled to dislike it, but you don't have to be a Leica sycophant to think it's good. Whatever

I do agree that the 4m dots of the SL finder is not the be-all and end-all. The X-T1 finder was great (as is the latest Olympus finder) and I'm sure that the EVF on this camera will be good as well - it looks like a fantastic camera to me - really excellent - the only criticism I can find is that I still don't like the slanting top plate (but that's also just a matter of taste). I'm quite tempted personally.

Lars

...the only criticism I can find is that I still don't like the slanting top plate...
I KNEW you'd bring that up :) FWIW I agree with you, it's function before form resulting in a design that is (slightly) less pleasing to the eye.

Ulfric Douglas

I'd have to say that after a 4 year wait, this is underwhelming to say the least. There was no need for Fuji to wait 4 years to upgrade this camera.
I honestly thought Fuji got bored with the hybrid viewfinder thingy and the X-Pro1 was the start and the end of the line.
Because of the long wait I find it completely bizarre that they bring this out with a flagship sensor...
The X-Pro market within Fuji buyers has to be a minority now compared to X-E and X-T buyers.
If they'd have incrementally upgraded inside the X-Pro line to keep interest it would make more sense.

I bought a used X-E1 rather than an X-Pro1 mainly because although they were both available cheaply, everyone said the X-Pro1 had a worse EVF ... and the EVF on my X-E1 turned out to be rather shockingly bad.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
... the only criticism I can find is that I still don't like the slanting top plate (but that's also just a matter of taste). I'm quite tempted personally.
The slanting top plate must be there for the camera not to be confused with one of those pesky German imitations. You wouldn't be mistaken for being a Leica sycophant, would you Jono? I mean, really... I hope I'm not mistaken about you... oh no...! :ROTFL:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Personally I think that Fuji announced a worthy successor to the XPro1 and the only feature missing that I saw was the tilting rear LCD screen.

It it was interesting to hear the discussions about the hybrid viewfinder on some of the vlogs where consensus is becoming that the pure EVF these days is good enough and that a lot of users aren't using hybrid mode so much any more. I enjoyed having the option and I would think that Fuji kept it as much as for a competitive differentiator vs a technical necessity.

If I were still shooting Fuji then I'd have my order in for an XPro2 immediately. However, I wouldn't be rushing out to swap an XT1 for one yet as inevitably the XT2 will incorporate the key functional upgrades soon enough. I went from 2x XPro1's to XPro1/XT1/XE2 combo because of the XT1 ergonomics & XE2 size but overall I liked the XPro1 form factor. Other than the LCD, Fuji have addressed the ergonomics and functionality differentiators that the XT1 introduced.

The new lenses look excellent. I never had any concerns about the Fuji lenses whatsoever and they seem to have continued to produce premium optics.

Braeside

I swore I didn't need another camera ever again, however I am severely tempted to upgrade my X-Pro 1 which is still my favourite camera despite also having the X-T1.

I should really dispose of all of my M mount lenses and my GXR M-mount as I am not using them at all. Better they are used than sit in my cupboard. I kept them in case I ever went mad and bought another Leica rangefinder. But quite honestly I find the Fujifilm system so good for my needs that I have little desire to change.

I might keep keep the X-Pro 1 for infrared as it is worth so little on the used market now, Fuji are not Leica and don't hold their value.

Whether I keep the X-T1 remains to be seen, it does have the benefit of the optional vertical grip with battery and a tilting LCD. I can't imagine it will be long until the new sensor and processor is put in an X-T2, then we will be having another discussion I guess.

Happy new year to everyone.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Either this is a very good camera, or the people at Fuji are geniuses at marketing. These videos and photos of and by real photographers hit me right there in my photographic heart. Love of photography is clearly well and alive at Fuji.

This camera doesn't have as many megapixels as my D810, but maybe it's close enough. It isn't as fast as and doesn't have a buffer as deep as my planned D500, but close enough. It's clearly just as beautiful as the Df that I would have liked to buy but can't afford, and the retro details make much more sense on this camera than on the Nikon. The viewfinder is optical as well as electronic, the best of both worlds. Worst of all, if I sell most of my Nikon stuff, I can actually afford the two bodies that I would need, plus a couple of lenses. And for the lenses that I can't yet afford, there's this thing called adapters.

I do need to see some RAW files first, but this is very tempting.

Then there's the battery life...

Last edited:

Paul2660

If the battery life is similar to the X-T1 then it won't be much of an issue as the XT-1 is excellent. They use the same batteries.

The only battery issue I have is when I use the 50-140 as it seems to drain the cells faster.

Even with the grip and 2 cells installed.

Paul C

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Battery life was always some kind of issue with all my Fuji's I owned (XPro1, XE2, XT1), but having said that I bought several third party spare batteries which are as good or even better (at least the ones I bought) as the original battery. This finally makes battery life a no issue as long as you remember just to put enough spares in your pockets. Which BTW is easy, as the batteries are pretty small and light weight.

I am really tempted by the Xpro2. I would meanwhile rather decide for this camera instead of the for me much more logical D500, which technically might be better, although only slightly, in most disciplines. But I remember that I really loved the XPro1 and only sold it as I could not live with the rather slow and unpredictable AF. Which should be hugely improved in the XPro2 - I definitely have to test one!

My m43 system is getting really in danger and I might switch over back to Fuji with the XPro2 and use the X system as my mirrorless system in parallel to Nikon FF based on the lovely D810. What also might contribute significantly to that decision is the newly released 100-400, which translates to a 150-600 and should work superbly with the new AF system of the XPro2 for wildlife. Plus I would instantly get 24MP instead of the probably upcoming 20MP of future m43 top models and not have to crop to get my favored 3:2 instead of the 4:3, all together pretty convincing arguments. I feel I am getting weaker ....

One word about film simulation, which is a really great feature. I stopped using it in camera, as it produces JPEGs and will not show up in the original RAWs and since I am mainly a RAW shooter always applied the film simulation I wanted in post processing via LR. For me the much more flexible way to go. However you like to use it, the effects are superb and spare hours of post processing work over time.

Lars

X-Pro2 does indeed look like a very good camera compared to X-Pro1.

I'm also curious about how it holds up against other contemporary cameras - I guess we'll see such comparison once the real reviews start popping up.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Just for fun on a Sunday morning, 4 "sufficient" 24MP cameras with their more or less 50mm equivalent lenses:

Fuji X-Pro2 with Fujinon 35mm f/1.4
$1,700 + $599 = $2,299
495 grams + 187 grams = 682 grams

Sony A7 II with Zeiss 55mm f/1.8
$1,698 + $998 = $2,696
599 grams + 281 grams = 880 grams

Nikon D7200 with Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 DX
$1,097 + $197 = $1,294
765 grams + 200 grams = 965 grams

Nikon D750 with Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
$1,997 + $217 = $2,214
840 grams + 186 grams = 1,026 grams

Sony A6000 with Sony E 35mm f/1.8
$548 + $448 = $996
344 grams + 154 grams = 498 grams

Olympus E-M1 with Zuiko 25mm f/1.8 (16MP)
$1,099 + $299 = $1,398
497 grams + 136 grams = 633 grams

Panasonic GH4 with Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4 (16MP)
$1,298 + $598 = $1,796
560 grams + 200 grams = 760 grams

When travelling, more extra batteries would add to the weight of the mirrorless cameras. This is a mix of full frame and 1.5x crop sensor cameras, which some may describe as comparing bananas to papaya. However, with current sensor technology, that isn't very relevant to me anymore, except when I need a higher pixel count or extreme DR. For the Fuji, there's also a very good 56mm f/1.2 that takes care of some of the differences. I also assume that the Fuji is competitive in the DR area. Fuji cameras have a tradition for being just that.

Although this is just a snapshot of the market, and mostly with models relevant to myself and not necessarily to others, there are some interesting parameters being brought to the table here. The X-Pro2, which is a very well equipped camera, Fuji's new top model and the only one featuring a hybrid viewfinder is relatively competitively priced, and although not particularly compact, much more lightweight than the competition listed here. In Thailand, Fuji is already market leader among cameras with interchangeable lenses, not only among the mirrorless crowd, and I can see a lot of DSLR users wanting to try this new model.

As for myself, I won't dump my Nikon gear just yet, but will probably postpone the D500, which is kind of overkill for what I currently do anyway, and try out the Fuji as a travel camera instead.

Last edited: