The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ4 series. Much more than resolution.

Pemihan

Love the hat!
Thank you Doug.

It's the hat that saved the day!
It sure did. The hat was perfect when it was time to dive head first into the rapids, especially when sitting in front of the raft.

No magnifier for viewing the back though? (A hoodman loupe is my other neck gear).
I my pocket i have a pair of strong folding reading glasses that I put on top of my regular glasses when needed :D
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/foster-grant-microvision-optical-metal-folding-micro-reader-reading-glasses-gideon-%2b2.50/ID=prod6042626-product

I have tried using a loupe, but everything just got pixelated, the loupe might have had to much magnification though.

Peter

Ohh and by the way, the hat survived too:shocked:

Last edited:

vieri

I would estimate 95% of our tech cameras are sold to landscape and architectural photographers with the former being the majority.

Just look at the “fun with tech cameras” thread here.
Thank you Doug.

I am following (and have posted many times) in the thread you mention here, but among people who add infos on camera gear I see a lot of landscapes from Pentax 645z, Phase XF and DF, Leica S, Fuji GFX, some Hassy X1D, but not much from tech cameras. Hence my question :) I am sure I am wrong and you are right, perhaps you could point me out to a couple of names of professional landscape photographers using tech cameras + Phase backs, not necessarily here on forum of course, so I can get a better idea?

Best regards,

Vieri

cly

[...] point me out to a couple of names of professional landscape photographers using tech cameras + Phase backs, not necessarily here on forum of course, so I can get a better idea?
here are just a few:

Jost von Allmen,
Andrea Baczynski,
Julian Calverley,
Luca Campigotto,
Murray Fredericks,
Walter Niedermayr,
Jürg Zimmermann.

Quite a few professional photographers don't post (or don't post a lot) on websites such as LL or getdpi. This might lead to the impression that tech cams are rarely used.

BTW, Julian Calverley is a good example that a tech cam can be used in less pleasant weather conditions.

Chris

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I am planning our our raw file testing now. Other than ISO sweeps and aperture sweeps and tech cam lenses, what are ya’ll interested in seeing?

jng

Doug,

It would be great to see LCC files (pre-conversion) for the tech cam lenses. A direct comparison to LCC files from the IQ3100 would also be very useful to assess whether (and by how much) the new sensor shows improvements with regard to lens cast. Thanks for doing this!

John

I am planning our our raw file testing now. Other than ISO sweeps and aperture sweeps and tech cam lenses, what are ya’ll interested in seeing?

stevenfr

Vieri

Joe Cornish would be another. Why not contact him and have a chat. Just a thought. I also believe David Burdeny and Michael Levin use tech cameras. A couple of fellow Canadians.

Steven

Thank you Doug.

I am following (and have posted many times) in the thread you mention here, but among people who add infos on camera gear I see a lot of landscapes from Pentax 645z, Phase XF and DF, Leica S, Fuji GFX, some Hassy X1D, but not much from tech cameras. Hence my question :) I am sure I am wrong and you are right, perhaps you could point me out to a couple of names of professional landscape photographers using tech cameras + Phase backs, not necessarily here on forum of course, so I can get a better idea?

Best regards,

Vieri

Last edited:

vieri

here are just a few:

Jost von Allmen,
Andrea Baczynski,
Julian Calverley,
Luca Campigotto,
Murray Fredericks,
Walter Niedermayr,
Jürg Zimmermann.

Quite a few professional photographers don't post (or don't post a lot) on websites such as LL or getdpi. This might lead to the impression that tech cams are rarely used.

BTW, Julian Calverley is a good example that a tech cam can be used in less pleasant weather conditions.

Chris
Thank you Chris, very helpful indeed :)

Thank you Graham, also very helpful! :)

I think the confusion is that I said “fun with tech cameras” which should have been “technical camera images” and you maybe are confusing that with the thread “fun with MF cameras” which does not have a lot of tech cameras because all the tech cameras are posting here:

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...ital-backs/29667-technical-camera-images.html
Got it Doug - went through about 10 pages of it already! :)

Vieri

Joe Cornish would be another. Why not contact him and have a chat. Just a thought. I also believe David Burdeny and Michael Levin use tech cameras. A couple of fellow Canadians.

Steven
Thank you Steven, got many of his books but I didn't know Joe used a tech camera!

Thanks again everyone, all much helpful (and dangerous for the bank account!). Best regards,

Vieri

Altdo

...Generally, my feeling is the IQ4 represents a “turning point” for tech cameras. The improvement in image quality and usability should be quite significant. But I also don’t want to inappropriately raise expectations until I’ve had the chance to do my own extensive hands on testing.
"...should be quite significant." IS QUITE SIGNIFICANT. :toocool:

The 151-megapixel BSI sensor on the Rodenstock 23mm is on the LEFT. The 101-megapixel (non-trichromatic) FSI sensor on the Rodenstock 23mm is on the RIGHT.

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 3.32.13 PM.jpg

vieri

"...should be quite significant." IS QUITE SIGNIFICANT. :toocool:

The 151-megapixel BSI sensor on the Rodenstock 23mm is on the LEFT. The 101-megapixel (non-trichromatic) FSI sensor on the Rodenstock 23mm is on the RIGHT.

View attachment 136002
That is straight out of camera, no LCC, all conditions being equal, I assume? If so - I am doomed, I guess :ROTFL:

algrove

Vieri
You also might want to check out P1 videos where various "Pros" demonstrate their techniques. Steve Gosling is another Alpa tech cam user I am a bit familiar with-mostly B&W.

Lou

dchew

Where is Guy’s ski mask? Graham, do you have it?

Dave

Edit: ^that first word was a bad word the forum didn’t like. Smells like poop.

Last edited:

Jamgolf

This looks very promising. 23HR is probably the worst case scenario in terms of color cast. So, if this experiment is an indicator, it seems the need for LCC is essentially over.

The word of techcam demise might have been premature and over blown.
Pretty cool indeed!

Last edited: