The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon mirrorless ?

Frankly

Just a comment having seen the leaked Canon mirrorless images... How the #$%& do they manage to repeat each other's form factor nearly identically? I swear except for the way they knurl the knobs and radius a few curves you could swap the nameplates on Canon and Nikon and most people couldn't tell the difference. Albeit the Canon grip is harsher and probably not as comfortable but geez these cameras are within 95% of each other.

Is it impossible for them to think independently? If two American corporations copied each other so blatantly they'd be in court. If it were two people they'd be arrested for crimes against nature.

It's like they're fraternal twins.

/rant

Knorp

Well, it's rather difficult to be really 'different' and also I guess it's all down to the eye of the beholder.
As my late aunt used to say, who disliked going abroad for vacation: "a house is a house, a tree is a tree and a mountain is a mountain".
So there you have it !

SrMphoto

Just a comment having seen the leaked Canon mirrorless images... How the #$%& do they manage to repeat each other's form factor nearly identically? I swear except for the way they knurl the knobs and radius a few curves you could swap the nameplates on Canon and Nikon and most people couldn't tell the difference. Albeit the Canon grip is harsher and probably not as comfortable but geez these cameras are within 95% of each other.

Is it impossible for them to think independently? If two American corporations copied each other so blatantly they'd be in court. If it were two people they'd be arrested for crimes against nature.

/rant
To my eyes, Nikon Z7 and Canon EOS R look very much different. The Canon is more rounded, it has a swivel screen, Z7 has tilt screen, ergonomics are different. Yes, they both have a hot shoe and a viewfinder, but that's about it :).

Nikon Z7 from rear
Canon EOS R from read

Nikon Z7 from front
Canon EOS R from front

Unless, of course, you could not make out a difference between a Canon 5D and a Nikon D850 :).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

/rant
Apparently, you haven't seen a Nikkormat and an FTb next to each other. In Asia, copying a competitor isn't seen as bad. It's an important part of East Asian culture. You copy the master to show your respect for him.

rayyan

Which would I choose between the MILCS whose specs have been talked about?

NONE.

So the offerings come down to which one is offering the least!

p.s. Time to bring out my MILC...the Leica M8; till it quits.
Of course, it will be accompanied by the Df.

V

Vivek

The Z6/7 are almost Sony like compared to the Canon R which is markedly different. The swivel LCD is way more useful than the tilt one.

To my eyes, Nikon Z7 and Canon EOS R look very much different. The Canon is more rounded, it has a swivel screen, Z7 has tilt screen, ergonomics are different. Yes, they both have a hot shoe and a viewfinder, but that's about it :).

Nikon Z7 from rear
Canon EOS R from read

Nikon Z7 from front
Canon EOS R from front

Unless, of course, you could not make out a difference between a Canon 5D and a Nikon D850 :).

neils

I handled a Z7 at a store the other day as I posted. I couldn't of course take any images home. I'd be satisfied with a Z6 for sure but the Z6 has the AA filter? I never owned a camera without one so I can't have any OMG moments about it either way. Is the AA filter on all the 24meg Nikons across the board? Better suited to the 36 and up sensors?

Neil

Photon42

I bumped into a Nikon Z Demo event today by accident. Overall very positive reception by 90%+ Nikon users. I did like the handling a lot. Very clear viewfinder, no lag when bringing the camera to the eye, top deck display super legible. AF was surprisingly fast with the new 4/24-70. The lens is super compact lens if collapsed. Great idea. Tried handhold 1/4s at 70 mm with no visible issues. They had a F 24-70 2.8 to try out with the adapter. It worked well, AF speed less fast than the new zoom, but also a lot more glass to move. No hot key to change AF modes. Maybe something to re-assign the video button for.

The 5.6/500 was available, too, which I only quickly tried with an d850. Surprisingly short. I may have a close look at the 300 at some point.

SrMphoto

I handled a Z7 at a store the other day as I posted. I couldn't of course take any images home. I'd be satisfied with a Z6 for sure but the Z6 has the AA filter? I never owned a camera without one so I can't have any OMG moments about it either way. Is the AA filter on all the 24meg Nikons across the board? Better suited to the 36 and up sensors?

Neil
Many full-frame 20Mp to 24Mp cameras have AA filters. D5 and D750 have AA filters, while D500 (APS-C) does not.

DougDolde

Definately the Z7. I have no problem shooting my D850 handheld and the IBIS would make that even better. Not that I need better though, love the D850.

Thorkil

just a quiet note..
Perhaps its just me, but now I wonder after the launch of the Canon R, after looking some places around at the internet,
where are all the bashing, anger, frustrations, huge alarm and "I will certainly NOT buy THAT camera"-statements while the obviously huge failures are:
- ONLY 1 SLOT (schock)
- and JUST FOR SD (not innovative at all...another schock)
- NO IBIS (several schocks...I'm still shaking)
hhhmmmm are we humans after all just silly pigs that are running in big crowds and only in one direction, until one is pointing finger in another direction...then we all are running that way...
:talk028:

Knorp

just a quiet note..
Perhaps its just me, but now I wonder after the launch of the Canon R, after looking some places around at the internet,
where are all the bashing, anger, frustrations, huge alarm and "I will certainly NOT buy THAT camera"-statements while the obviously huge failures are:
- ONLY 1 SLOT (schock)
hhhmmmm are we humans after all just silly pigs that are running in big crowds and only in one direction, until one is pointing finger in another direction...then we all are running that way...
I think you're referring to lemmings here ...

What is the lemming effect?
They soon become victims of a psychological affliction known as "the lemming effect".
Lemmings are small rodents that have been observed to follow each other as they
charge to their deaths- into raging rivers or even off cliffs.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
just a quiet note..
- ONLY 1 SLOT (schock)
Yes, and not only when it comes to cameras.

Thorkil

Yes, and not only when it comes to cameras.
no unforthunatly..if it just was the camera-issue, perhaps it was to live with...(but foremost in politic, where it can affect peoples life in another serious and unpleasent way)(but thats another story...and even worse :shocked:)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Yes I do :rolleyes:... but I just thought that pigs were more visualizing :grin:
Hey, hey, there’s a group here called “PIGS” in the medium format section of the site - we could be offended although we’re mellow folks so go ahead ... :ROTFL::thumbs:

iiiNelson

just a quiet note..
- ONLY 1 SLOT (schock)
I think a lot of the lack of critical buzz generated towards Canon is solely due to NOT doing a “Mirrorless reinvented” marketing campaign which solved a lot of backlash for the EOS R. I’m not saying it’s right but that’s my own takeaway. Also I believe their initial lens offering of provding a 50/1.2 and 28-70/2 “halo lenses” from day one overshadowed a lot of the shortcomings of the body. I do believe that if Nikon had the 58/0.95 available from day one AND it was an autofocus lens that would’ve provided a lot of the same “cover” for the shortcomings of their body... assuming they didn’t do a Mirrorless reinvented ad campaign.

If you look at doscussion and videos on the EOS R people bring up all of the shortcomings of the body but also caveat it with a “...just like Nikon...” comment so in essence Nikon took a lot of the beatings Canon would’ve taken had they come out with their camera first. Also Nikon possibly would be better served long term by just releasing the camera and putting it in the hands of people for a month or so prior to Photokina type announcements. What their campaign did was also something of effective in that it generated buzz and caused many photographers to become more “tribal” in that any/all critique was dismissed if you like the camera and other people that have been in Mirrorless for some time were scratching their heads at the hypocrisy towards the Nikon marketing in general... like literally everything they so harshly criticized about their competitors was implemented - from adapters, to lack of dual card slots, to battery life, lack of native lenses, etc.

From what I can see though the Nikon image quality looks a lot better than what’s been presented from Canon thus far... but I think that has more to do with the sensor quality than anything. For all the criticism that many people have given I do believe that most people acknowledge that the camera isn’t “bad” in any sense of the word but it’s not anywhere near Mirrorless reinvented either. So I’ll leave it at that.