The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The S5 is coming, full specs

drofnad

> it's slightly smaller than the G9.
> The lenses will mostly be bigger of course,

The top-down view shows the most difference, of course with the G9's display, but note the difference in grip widths --I suppose the G9's thicker one is enabled by smaller lenses.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I was asked earlier today what camera I would buy that isn't too expensive and that would cover all my personal needs as well as cover all bases for the paid jobs I do. I quickly found that the S5 would probably be the best choice for me:

- Very good image quality
- Excellent video quality
- Very advanced video features
- Excellent ergonomics
- Kit lens that starts at 20 mm, which means I won't need a separate WA lens
- Upcoming 70-300 and 85 mm f/1.8 lenses would make my kit complete (I have enough macro lenses that can be adapted)

Price in Thailand is THB 69,900, which is less than what the GH5 was launched at, body only.

It would be this or Nikon, and I won't buy now in any case, but it's interesting to notice that full frame hybrid cameras are becoming very good and relatively cheap. Some of them anyway.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
With this upgrade, the S5 is turned into the Swiss Army knife, fork and spoon of the camera world. An amazingly versatile camera. I guess this also kills my GH5 II plans. Yes, I'm a DaVinci user, so B-RAW is what I had hoped for.

iiiNelson

With this upgrade, the S5 is turned into the Swiss Army knife, fork and spoon of the camera world. An amazingly versatile camera. I guess this also kills my GH5 II plans. Yes, I'm a DaVinci user, so B-RAW is what I had hoped for.

You will still need to buy a BMD Video Assist 12G external recorder for BRAW support. While I’m “happy” for S1/S5 users I can’t help but question Panasonic’s decisions of making the flagship cameras feel like an afterthought because of a vocal crowd of entry level users that demand premium features that other users already paid a premium for. If this continues then the S1R will absolutely be the last Panasonic Flagship camera I buy.

We still don’t have the same video specs as the Leica SL2 all of these years later much less LOG, RAW, etc. the RAW performance of the S1R sensor is 8K60 capable (and I’m not demanding this come to an external recorder) but I don’t understand offering 10-bit in 4K60 but not in 4K24/25/30 in the camera. I don’t understand not having the anamorphic modes… meanwhile there continues to be development in the two least expensive bodies. Honestly… it’s complete BS as much as I like the S1R. If they can’t properly support a flagship camera then I’ll just keep giving my money to Sony and Leica.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You will still need to buy a BMD Video Assist 12G external recorder for BRAW support.
I actually see that as an advantage. I have been wanting to buy an external screen/recorder for some time, and the Video Assist is my preferred solution for several reasons:

- I'm a DaVinci user
- It uses SD cards, like the S5 and all my MFT cameras
- It uses Sony NP-F batteries, like my slider and my battery powered lighting.

As it looks now, I'm probably going for an S5 as soon as I can afford it and then buy either a second S5 or a GH6 later, depending on what the GH6 offers that the S5 cannot do (4K/120, 1080/240 etc.).

I understand your criticism of the S1R, and I agree that Panasonic should have done more for that camera. As it looks now, Panasonic is more focused on video centered hybrides than ever. That doesn't make their cameras bad for stills, but some cameras, like your S1R, the G9 and my GX8 seem to have been left in the wake with not much attention. I wouldn't be surprised if an S6 with S5 body and S1R sensor is on the horizon though. Not that that would make you any happier, but....

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I actually see that as an advantage. I have been wanting to buy an external screen/recorder for some time, and the Video Assist is my preferred solution for several reasons:

- I'm a DaVinci user
- It uses SD cards, like the S5 and all my MFT cameras
- It uses Sony NP-F batteries, like my slider and my battery powered lighting.

As it looks now, I'm probably going for an S5 as soon as I can afford it and then buy either a second S5 or a GH6 later, depending on what the GH6 offers that the S5 cannot do (4K/120, 1080/240 etc.).

I understand your criticism of the S1R, and I agree that Panasonic should have done more for that camera. As it looks now, Panasonic is more focused on video centered hybrides than ever. That doesn't make their cameras bad for stills, but some cameras, like your S1R, the G9 and my GX8 seem to have been left in the wake with not much attention. I wouldn't be surprised if an S6 with S5 body and S1R sensor is on the horizon though. Not that that would make you any happier, but....
I wasn’t saying that the external recorder was bad. I use an Atomos Ninja V and I’d argue that it’s my most significant camera related purchase since I bought my Sony A7RII. I have mixed feelings on the build quality of Blackmagic products but I like their software. I HATE that the VA uses SD cards because SSD is just a much better option. I know you can record to external SSD via USB-C but you’re introducing an additional cable into the mix and also adding another potential issue to the recording streams.

As for the S1R it’s capable of doing more on the video side of things. They just haven’t developed it and that’s a point of frustration. I also question how these things go over with S1H owners… many are overtly irritated and many on the Facebook groups are dumping their cameras to move to other brands on principles that they paid twice as much because they were ensured that some features would be exclusive to the flagship… well we see that not being the case with many of the big features.
I’m gonna let this sit for a few days but Panasonic doesn’t seem to be trying to retain their premium customers IMO.