The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M11 Images

algrove

My files need C1 help and who knows when that might be forthcoming.

Went out today with M11 and M10R and took similar shots although with APO 35 on M11 and APO 50 on M10R. Since the M10R files render beautifully in C1 they will be preferred, but perhaps they can help me somewhat dial in M11 images to get a similar look. Perhaps wishful thinking.

JeRuFo

It's always a slightly bumpy ride to be an early adopter. Interesting to see how everyone gets to grips with it, including the developers.

Reactions: spb

Paul Spinnler

I think the future will have to tell whether the move to a third-party sensor won't kill the Leica colours, ie Mojo. I know some people at the company and they are saying it is not the same and that for the sake of per unit profitability they skipped the development of a custom sensor. This is just a Sony sensor with some minor customizations; the best colours IMHO you get from the Leica S3 ... also apparently the sensor shows that classics such as the SX50 cannot resolve it anymore and certain lenses like 21mm create colour casts.

If colour is your concern, maybe worth holding onto the M10-R just a bit longer to compare. Also not sure I want a 200g lighter body - I like the heft of the M! The picture above looks like an iphone picture.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Capture One with Leica will fix any colour concerns. Of that I’m 100% convinced. Maybe not Adobe based on previous experience vs C1.

Btw, awaiting my M11 to compare to my M10R. No disagreement on the capabilities of that camera.

algrove

So I have been trying to see what differences occur in C1 processing an M10R file with the M10R profile and an M11 file with the generic dng profile.

The image is of a rusted and encrusted old anchor. It was very rusted. The top image is the M10R and the bottom image is the M11 with the red channel taken down slightly since it exhibited too much magenta. Keep in mind there is no specific C1 profile for the M11 camera as yet. I am using my MBP Max 16" set to P3 Photographic display preference setting. The other day I was using my 32" NEC which I only realized then has seen its better days when compared to this new MBP.

Nothing extreme done in either image except for h/l down 100, shadows +18, mid levels -.30 (M11) and -0.15 (M10R) and haze +10.

L10R1736.jpg

L1000113 2.jpg

iiiNelson

If colour is your concern, maybe worth holding onto the M10-R just a bit longer to compare. Also not sure I want a 200g lighter body - I like the heft of the M! The picture above looks like an iphone picture.
This isn’t the first Sony sensor used in a Leica camera. The SL2-S uses a Sony sensor as do many of the APS-C cameras that many love. Color probably isn’t a big concern if the camera works for you. I’d think they learned from the harsh early feedback in regards to color with the M240 for people coming from the M9.

hotshoe

Thanks for starting the thread and giving us a preview Lou :- ) Having the side-by-side w/ the M10R is especially useful, and I'm looking forward to seeing more from you and others.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Lou ..Could you re process these as follow . First satisfy yourself that have the WB neutral . Second get the exposure the best you can without adjusting the tone curve . When you pull down highlights you change the natural saturation . This may not yield images to your taste but it makes the comparison more relevant . Roger

KC_2020

This isn’t the first Sony sensor used in a Leica camera. The SL2-S uses a Sony sensor as do many of the APS-C cameras that many love. Color probably isn’t a big concern if the camera works for you. I’d think they learned from the harsh early feedback in regards to color with the M240 for people coming from the M9.
Well in the eyes of some very knowledgeable reviewers the SL2-S color has changed from the classic Leica look. And now the SL / SL2 color has been matched to the SL2-S with a firmware update according to Leica.