The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad XCD 28P

FloatingLens

Another observation: it seems easier to me to critically focus the XCD 4/28P with depth of field preview active to f8 as opposed to wide open. It is better to discern fine structures using the zoom to 100% for focussing. I am talking from a landscape photographer's perspective. What are your experiences?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Another observation: it seems easier to me to critically focus the XCD 4/28P with depth of field preview active to f8 as opposed to wide open. It is better to discern fine structures using the zoom to 100% for focussing. I am talking from a landscape photographer's perspective. What are your experiences?
I always use the 100% zoom if there is time. I just tried DoF Preview, and it does not work in zoomed mode - the zoomed image does not depend on the aperture, so I assume you're talking about using one method or the other, but not both.

FloatingLens

I always use the 100% zoom if there is time. I just tried DoF Preview, and it does not work in zoomed mode - the zoomed image does not depend on the aperture, so I assume you're talking about using one method or the other, but not both.
Both work at the same time on the X1D II and that’s super useful. With the DoF preview active, the f-stop value is printed in bold, which actually makes a lot of sense. You can turn the focus ring while holding the preview button. Pushing the star button then adds the zoom. Can‘t believe it’s not possible with the X2D?

4*Paul

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Matt
Press the DOF button first and then the zoom - that works on the X2D.
Unlike yours, not an entertaining post from me but, hopefully, a useful one!
You're right! Thank you - better than entertaining!

And I just compared zoomed focus wide open, but shot at f/8, with zoomed focus AT f/8, and the latter was easier and better. So thanks also to @FloatingLens for the tip!

Last edited:

Paul

Hi,
I find this 28P very tempting. However I am not sure to understand whether there is a color shift on the X1DII-50c generation? (for the X2D it seems ok).
If anyone with a 28P and an X1DII could share a raw image of a grey sky at f4 for example (in October it might be easy), it would be really helpful!

Paul

tenmangu81

Hi Paul,

Floating Lens (thanks !) has shared two images taken with the 50 Mpx sensor, one with the 907x and the other with the X1D II. Please have a look at the post #193. I have imported these images in Lightroom and I could more or less correct them, rather more than less. But it is not quite satisfactory, in my opinion, as I have to push the vigneting cursor up to the end. It works far better with Phocus.

FloatingLens

Floating Lens (thanks !) has shared two images taken with the 50 Mpx sensor, one with the 907x and the other with the X1D II. Please have a look at the post #193.
Glad I could help, Robert. :) The proper solution for me is to use Phocus and a Scene Calibration/LCC. You only need to create this once and then apply depending on the used aperture to all subsequent images. I observe next to no color shift limited vignetting on X1D II 50c at working aperture f11. With LCC, it is completely gone.

-Johannes

tenmangu81

Thanks Johannes again. Yes, I understood you did it with Phocus. You can create an LCC with Lightroom as well, and it works !!

tenmangu81

I have just tried some ways to proceed.
With Phocus, you have to create a "scene calibration" / LCC for various lens configurations (focus distance, aperture,...) if you want to have an almost perfect correction of the color cast.
In Lightroom, you have to shoot a blank or grey surface for every picture you want to process for removing the color cast, and you can't save it as a preset.
So, it looks to be very cumbersome, even if less within Phocus than in Lightroom.
Accordingly, I have made a request to Hasselblad if it were possible for them to provide a firmware improvement for the X1D, specifically for in-body correcting the XCD28P color cast. I am waiting for the answer, but I will postpone the purchase of the XCD28P for the time being.

tenmangu81

I've got an answer from Hasselblad (very fast !!). They don't plan any further firmware for the X1D's. But they will reach out my request to the R&D team.....
So, the XCD28P is not for me, unless I buy an X2D.... or an XCD21 or 30, which are better than the 28P.

0beone

Well for me I have to say that perhaps being spoilt with tech cams and Rodie glass I am truly liking this lens.../camera combination. I have not yet shot anything with the XCD-28P that I can't print at 30x40 that is not near perfection. And overall the usability, uncomplicated control, quality etc of the X2D and XCD-28P combination is as close to flawless as I would want (or need for that matter) I love it, and as a disclaimer this is the first Blad I have ever owned in more that 50 years of photography. I think sometimes we can be far to critical ourselves as experts that we loose sight of the fact that mere mortals cannot see the difference.

tenmangu81

Well for me I have to say that perhaps being spoilt with tech cams and Rodie glass I am truly liking this lens.../camera combination. I have not yet shot anything with the XCD-28P that I can't print at 30x40 that is not near perfection. And overall the usability, uncomplicated control, quality etc of the X2D and XCD-28P combination is as close to flawless as I would want (or need for that matter) I love it, and as a disclaimer this is the first Blad I have ever owned in more that 50 years of photography. I think sometimes we can be far to critical ourselves as experts that we loose sight of the fact that mere mortals cannot see the difference.
Sure !! But the many owners of the X1D and 907X would like to benefit as well from this experience, which is not the case for the time being !!