The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad XCD 28P

dmecham

Hi,
I find this 28P very tempting. However I am not sure to understand whether there is a color shift on the X1DII-50c generation? (for the X2D it seems ok).
If anyone with a 28P and an X1DII could share a raw image of a grey sky at f4 for example (in October it might be easy), it would be really helpful!

Paul
Here's a test I did this morning shooting a white card at F4 with my 29P on X1Dll body. Processed in Phocus 2. I was quite surprised how good the results are.28PF44.jpg

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Here's a test I did this morning shooting a white card at F4 with my 29P on X1Dll body. Processed in Phocus 2. I was quite surprised how good the results are.View attachment 212187
My examples above with the X1D were just using "Lens Corrections" for the 28P. If I use "Scene Calibration" and shoot a white plexiglass test image, it removes all color and vignetting effects. Of course, that's not ideal, although one could keep a bunch around, one for each f-stop.

Last edited:

wattsy

It seems that deliveries of this lens are taking place again (just had notification from my dealer in London that he has a 28P available). @dmecham 's corrections tests are quite timely because I had my doubts about this lens on the 50MP sensor but am now reassured that it should be fine on my CFV 50 II if I run it via the lens corrections in the latest Phocus.

dmecham

It seems that deliveries of this lens are taking place again (just had notification from my dealer in London that he has a 28P available). @dmecham 's corrections tests are quite timely because I had my doubts about this lens on the 50MP sensor but am now reassured that it should be fine on my CFV 50 II if I run it via the lens corrections in the latest Phocus.
I should mention my camera is the X1Dii model.

wattsy

I've just received this lens. First impressions are very positive. I actually thought it might be broken when I tried to autofocus it because I didn't think anything was happening. The AF, it seems, is silent and pretty much instant😂. I don't routinely use AF but when I do I am used to my 45P making a whirring sound and 'thinking' for a second or so before latching on to focus. I look forward to trying the lens out properly this weekend.

davidrm

Hmm. The 907x/CFV has always been listed along with the traditional 500/etc V system. This has always made sense to me since it constitutes another compatible component of the original 6x6 SLR line, providing a digital back for use on all of the older 500/etc bodies as well as a body stub/lens mount to give access to the X series lens line. Where things have gotten a bit confusing, to me, is the adoption of the new "V" lens descriptor within the X series lens offerings. Sheesh, couldn't they have use another letter rather than "V"? They already use "P" on a couple of XCD lenses, supposedly indicating a sub-series of XCD types, why not use something other than V to indicate another sub-series?

But eh? I'm a photographer, not a marketing weenie... I suppose they had their reasons, and it's not *that* complicated to figure out. ;)

G
Well not all that long ago, the Hasselblad X System was based around a panoramic 35mm film camera, and the Hasselblad X1 was a film scanner…

Maybe there are only 4 or 5 letters in the Swedish alphabet :cool:

Quanle

I should mention my camera is the X1Dii model.
Could I ask you a question, in the daily shooting X1D 50 II and 28 p, do you notice the magenta/purple color cast in jpg file, and how do you think about this combo, is it good, I am using x1D II and think about buying this lens ! Many thank !

dmecham

Yes I love the 28P with my X1D ii. I only shoot in RAW and process through Phocus 2 the there is no color shift or vignetting even when I shoot wide open. This question came up in an earlier conversation so I made a test to show this. They are a great combo.Hassy 28P F4 Un or CO.jpg

iczek

Having an X1D (Mark I), an X2D, an XCD 28P, and a white piece of plexiglass, I thought ...

Everything f/4.8, ISO 100, about 1/3 sec.

First, OOC with no corrections except white balance in the center and EV to match all the images. Processed in LR.

X1D

X2D

Now XCD 28P corrections as applied in LR

X1D

X2D

And finally, corrections applied in Phocus, exported as 16 bit TIFF

X1D

X2D

Interesting how much better Phocus corrects the X2D. It's almost perfect except for the deep corners. I could do a whole aperture series, but I was curious how bad the X1D corrections were.

Matt
I've read this whole thread about 28mm. I've looked through your very useful tests (thanks for your time!!). I'm facing a dilemma myself, whether to buy a used xcd 30 or a new 28P for landscapes. However, after watching this particular test, I wonder why we're still discussing the quality of 28mm? Something like color cast in this range shouldn't even be present in lenses of this class, from this manufacturer. I don't know how anyone can even consider buying this lens for landscape photography if it gives a color cast on 1/3 of the frame? :) For me, this thread has clearly shown that 28P is dedicated exactly to the style of photography defined by the manufacturer: street and "occasional" photography. And nothing more. Certainly not for landscape photography. Fighting with color cast in Photoshop is completely pointless. Especially since used copies of XCD 30 can be bought for similar money to a new 28P.
I would like to thank once again everyone who participated in this thread and on the forum - thanks to you I have a chance to make a better decision.

iczek

Yes I love the 28P with my X1D ii. I only shoot in RAW and process through Phocus 2 the there is no color shift or vignetting even when I shoot wide open. This question came up in an earlier conversation so I made a test to show this. They are a great combo.View attachment 213315
For me, my taste, with this brand, with this price, this color cast absolutely disqualifies this lens from many types of photography. But of course everyone can make their own decision.

Photon42

I have received my 28 finally in May 2024. The 30 is nice lens (I had one), but this one for me is more useful as it focusses closer and is much lighter and more compact. On top of that the shutter goes to 1/4000 (= 11 ...). As someone who bought an M8 long back in 2007 or so, I am probably a little exercised in color casts. My post processing starts with Phocus and I am happy with the results. You will also find that a number of other lens imperfections are limited by lens profiles in post processing software. As long as Hasselblad has a solution for that, I am fine.

dmecham

I've read this whole thread about 28mm. I've looked through your very useful tests (thanks for your time!!). I'm facing a dilemma myself, whether to buy a used xcd 30 or a new 28P for landscapes. However, after watching this particular test, I wonder why we're still discussing the quality of 28mm? Something like color cast in this range shouldn't even be present in lenses of this class, from this manufacturer. I don't know how anyone can even consider buying this lens for landscape photography if it gives a color cast on 1/3 of the frame? :) For me, this thread has clearly shown that 28P is dedicated exactly to the style of photography defined by the manufacturer: street and "occasional" photography. And nothing more. Certainly not for landscape photography. Fighting with color cast in Photoshop is completely pointless. Especially since used copies of XCD 30 can be bought for similar money to a new 28P.
I would like to thank once again everyone who participated in this thread and on the forum - thanks to you I have a chance to make a better decision.
Like my tests having owned both the 28 and the 30 there is no color cast with the 28 using Phocus 2 and the image quality from extensive testing showed the 28 was at least as high of IQ as the 30. I kept the 28 and sold the 30. But of course others may have their opinions as well and the 30 is an excellent lens.

Quanle

I am a Canon user, and I recently purchased the X1D II. After thoroughly reading about the 28mm f/4 and the 30mm f/3.5, I decided to buy a used 28mm f/4, which will arrive soon. The reason for this choice is that I didn't notice a significant difference in image quality between the two lenses (the main issue being color cast). The 28mm f/4 is definitely lighter and smaller, making it perfect for long walks and handheld use and I plan to upgrade to the used X2D in the future, but not just yet.

wattsy

For me, this thread has clearly shown that 28P is dedicated exactly to the style of photography defined by the manufacturer: street and "occasional" photography. And nothing more. Certainly not for landscape photography.
I had the same impression before I decided to give the lens a go. I use it only for landscape photography and I have not had a problem with a colour cast using my 907x and CFV II 50c back. It's an excellent lens IMO and the small size and light weight are an added bonus. I also appreciate how the lens handles flare as I often photograph towards the sun.

jjosephlatshaw

I received mine about a month ago from B&H. I ordered it back in December and frankly was surprised to get an alert that I needed to sign for a package, because I’d forgotten all about it.

I need to do some testing on images loaded into Lightroom vs Phocus, but as long as Phocus corrects for color cast, I’m really not worried about it. Being able to use software to correct for some variables allows lens designers to allow those variables to float in exchange for correcting other variables. It’s not like you can use these lenses for film anyway.