The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

shfoto

Very interesting subject, I think either works. I also like the idea of really cropping in, although I don't know if the environmental surroundings are an important part of telling the story. I hope you don't mind, I cropped and tweaked to give you an idea of what I was talking about. Thanks for sharing!

View attachment 191984
Greg, this was my original vision of the shot. But then I realized that it is a bit too tight for me. I wish the wall would be larger...

Greg Haag

Greg, this was my original vision of the shot. But then I realized that it is a bit too tight for me. I wish the wall would be larger...
Stephan, it is a very interesting and colorful subject, so many great possibilities. Thanks for posting!

Greg Haag

Ubehebe Crater is a large volcanic crater 600 feet deep and half a mile across, it is hard to appreciate the scale of this from the picture. According to the National Park Service, they are known as Maar volcanoes, created by steam and gas explosions when hot magma rises up from the depths and reaches ground water. The intense heat flashes the water into steam which expands until the pressure is released as a tremendous explosion. This was windiest day I have ever shot in, really struggled getting my tripod weighted down enough to prevent vibration from being an issue.

IQ4 150 Cambo 1600 Rodenstock 32mm 3 image stitch

Death Valley Crater-1.jpg

vjbelle

Greg..... I stood probably right where you took this shot and experienced the wind. I never took the shot as I was there in the morning so the far side was all shadows. This is definitely an afternoon location. I also found that it was difficult to get forward enough without being dangerously close to falling forward.

Victor B.

Greg Haag

Greg..... I stood probably right where you took this shot and experienced the wind. I never took the shot as I was there in the morning so the far side was all shadows. This is definitely an afternoon location. I also found that it was difficult to get forward enough without being dangerously close to falling forward.

Victor B.
Victor, I agree! I was about 5' further away from the edge than I would like to have been, but seemed about as close as I needed to be due to the wind. I am not sure I would go back, so many other places in DV that I would prefer to shoot.

Greg Haag

One day after shooting Zabriskie Point, we drove around scouting possible locations to shoot the next morning. I have no idea if this is a named location, it was about 15 minutes down some dirt road and the dust was like talcum powder. It was so colorful we went back the next morning, this was shot right after sunrise.
If you notice there is some type of cave in the upper right third of the image, never really figured out what it was.

IQ4 150 Cambo 1600 Rodenstock 90mm 3 image stitch
Death Valley unknown-1.jpg

Greg Haag

Twenty Mule Canyon road in Death Valley. I decided to leave the photographer in at the bottom left for a sense of scale, I would have given them more room in the frame but their jeep was in the way.

IQ4 150 Cambo 1600 Rodenstock 90mm 3 image stitch

Death Valley 20 mule canyon rooad-2.jpg

diggles

Went for a hike this morning in Rocky Mountain National Park to try out the 43XL for the first time. My original plan was to test out a variety of different apertures and test out the t/s. It was crazy windy and cold which made picture taking a challenge. I ended out going with plan b, just take about a dozen different shots and get out of there. This was my favorite, but I forgot to take an lcc frame. Luckily I only used about 5mm of camera fall so it didn't really need it.

There's a little bit of a story about lady in the middle of the frame. I passed her about 3 or 4 miles before I got to the Dream Lake trailhead as she was running on the road in the dark. While I was taking photos at the lake she came running past me! She ended out turning around where she's standing in the picture and started running back!

WRS 1600 + Hasselblad CFV II 50C + APO Digitar 43XL f11
B0021569-2560x1920.jpg

Greg Haag

This was my first time to get in the water with my technical camera, made be a bit uncomfortable. For a sense of scale if you notice in the distance on the far right there is a couple watching what little sunset we had.

Bandon Beach, Oregon
IQ4 150 Cambo 1600 Rodenstock 32mm
Oregon Bandon Beach-2.jpg

diggles

This requires a bit of personal backstory. I’ve been to the Tetons many times. I was a year old the first time. My first climb in the Tetons was Cube Point at 13, led by Glenn Exum himself. A short hike up small but beautiful Hanging Canyon just north of Cascade Canyon. Although I’ve been there many times, I have not had much opportunity to photograph there, and not at all since going digital.

Last week was the first real opportunity I’ve had in almost 20 years to photograph the Tetons. Since Cube Point now 45 years later, I’ve climbed every major peak in this photo except Mount Wister on the far left. Although this image is the standard view from a popular but unplowed turnout, it means a lot to me because of the weather effects. It makes me mentally scroll through the early mornings and challenging times I’ve had in these mountains I love so much.

Rodi 138f, Alpa 12+, IQ4150. 2-image stitch shifted 20mm L/R plus a bit of unrecorded lens rise, probably 5-10mm.

Dave

Hey Dave,

This is a beautiful view of the peaks! I've seen images from this view before, but your timing with the weather really does make this scene quite unique.

In June I'll be staying right near here for one night and am hoping to get a first light shot. The promising roadside spots I've found, that don't require more than a short walk/hike, are Oxbow Bend, Elk Elk Flats Turnout, Snake River Overlook, Black Tail Ponds, Teton Point Landing, and Schwabacher Landing. I'm sure there are more.

So far I've narrowed it down to Teton Point, Black Tail Ponds, or Schwabacher Landing. Teton Point seems to be the best view of the peaks, but Black Tail Ponds and Schwabacher Landing both have water that could be interesting.

Is your shot from Teton Point Landing?

Warren

dchew

Is your shot from Teton Point Landing?

Warren
Hi Warren,
This is actually the Glacier View Turnout, right in between Blacktail Ponds and Schwabacher. It was literally the only place along the road between Moose and Moran Junction to turn off because of the snow. Nothing was plowed, but the wind had scoured this spot enough to pull off the road.

I've never photographed at Blacktail Ponds, but I hear that is probably the best spot to try first. Blacktail and Schwabacher are the two with the most creative options; the others are pretty much the Ansel Adams Views but not too much else. There are also some nice spots along the Teton Park Road if you want something a bit closer to the range. I'm not sure if the Chapel of the Transfiguration is still there, but that area is a nice angle with some close cottonwoods to frame things.

June is my favorite time because there is still a lot of snow on the mountains and the main thrust of visitors hasn't peaked.

Dave

diggles

Nothing was plowed, but the wind had scoured this spot enough to pull off the road.
It seems the weather was inviting you in to get the shot!

Glacier View Turnout, right in between Blacktail Ponds and Schwabacher
It's down to these three locations then. I'm hoping to do a little scouting the night before. Glacier View Turnout seems to give the best straight on view of the peaks. In the pictures I've seen–from the Blacktail Ponds and Schwabacher vantage points–Mount Wister is mostly covered by the foothills.

I've never seen the Tetons in person so whether or not I pick the right spot for the day it will be pretty cool to be there.

Warren