The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2024

vjbelle

Victor, I have had no such problem with field curvature with my 35XL. My recent test shots show excellent sharpness across the subject at f/8.

The field curvature of a symmetrical or near-symmetrical lens is affected by the shimming. See the comment #17 by Mark J. in this thread.

Accordingly, you might lessen the anomalous field curvature you are seeing by unscrewing the front or rear cell slightly or by replacing the Copal 0 with another.

Rod
Rod...... I should add that this was all on my 4150 at the time. Trying to focus the edges at f5.6 was very difficult because of the severe hazing and the fact the that focus point was very far compared to the center. Stopping down, of course, improved things. Any shifting exasperated the issue. The lens was thoroughly tested by Schneider and given a clean bill of health numerous years ago. F8 was not an f stop I would ever use on 40X54 sensor but could be used on a 33X44 sensor with very limited shifting.

If some amount of increasing the distance between the front and rear elements mitigates the issue then I'm all in but that would also require finding some very thin washers.

Victor B.

darr

Darr,
Thanks for your kind words.
Are you going to use it with your CFV-50c II? If so, then you're another brave one! ,)
Twice as brave I would say, as you want to learn Phocus. :D

By the way, I myself always use Phocus now and almost abandoned LR.
Marco,
I will be using it with the CFV II 50c. So far, if I do not make any movements, it looks good.
I wanted to try Phocus' screen calibration for LCC with the 35xl and shifting with STC.
Early tests with 10, 15, & 18mm left & right shifts show ugliness at 18, less ugliness at 15, and good at 10mm.
So far, the lens is good for me with no shift and a 10mm shift, but I have to test more at different locations.
Best to you!

4x5Australian

Rod...... I should add that this was all on my 4150 at the time. Trying to focus the edges at f5.6 was very difficult because of the severe hazing and the fact the that focus point was very far compared to the center. Stopping down, of course, improved things. Any shifting exasperated the issue. The lens was thoroughly tested by Schneider and given a clean bill of health numerous years ago. F8 was not an f stop I would ever use on 40X54 sensor but could be used on a 33X44 sensor with very limited shifting.

If some amount of increasing the distance between the front and rear elements mitigates the issue then I'm all in but that would also require finding some very thin washers.

Victor B.
Victor, I also use the IQ4-150 and can show you recent test shots made with my 35 XL lens at f/8 and f/11 at 0mm, -5mm, -10mm and -15mm of rear shift.

I can send raw files to your email via WeTransfer. If you're interested, send me a DM.

Rod

Paul Spinnler

I also looked at Rod's samples of the 35XL on IQ4 which mirror the recent excellent Alpa copy I was able to get from a retiring architectural photographer. The lens has more shift ways on an IQ4 with CF than 10mm - its stunning IF its within spec. The 35XL is incredibly sensitive to minor things being out of spec, it seems. I think it can fall out of spec very easily over time (e.g. during transport, etc.).

mristuccia

Marco, whilst the misalignment you are seeing in your images might be due to the digital back interface, I would, in the first instance, suspect the Copal 0 shutter on your 35 XL.

Accordingly, I suggest that you try swapping the existing Copal 0 shutter for another from another lens.

If the replacement shutter for the test comes from a much longer focal length lens, you will need to approximate the actual iris opening at f/8 and f/11 on the original Copal 0. Measure the openings at f/8 and f/11 in mm with a ruler and then on the replacement Copal 0 use whatever f stop setting provides those same openings.

Rod
Rod, thanks for your recommendations, which I'm not able to perform myself. I'm more of a computer than watchmaker guy. If I touch something mechanical, I break it forever. :)
I'll address the alignment of the digital back interface first as the seller, an architectural photographer, has shown me some of his image samples and they look good.
If this is not the issue, I'll send the lens to a service for alignment.

chriswebb

20240104_001004_B0001200_00444-2.jpg

Just playing around with some camera movements. Theres quite a bit of swing here as well as some fall I was trying to get the door handle and the tree on the left both in focus. Made harder obviously due to the screen in the upper portion. I am having a hard time also judging if my camera is as level as I want it. I really do not like the older back's user experience. I wish they would upgrade the firmware to make it 1:1 as far as experience with the 100px back. Like it is set to show me a grid in the camera, but I don't see one in live view or anywhere. I'll keep this though for the fatter pixels.

This was with a CFV 50 with a SK SA 90 XL lens on an older arca swiss camera.

vjbelle

Victor, I also use the IQ4-150 and can show you recent test shots made with my 35 XL lens at f/8 and f/11 at 0mm, -5mm, -10mm and -15mm of rear shift.

I can send raw files to your email via WeTransfer. If you're interested, send me a DM.

Rod
Thank you for your offer. It has been a while since I have used my 35XL as I have not had a DB. My 100C arrives today so I will revisit this to see what develops..... no pun intended.:)

Victor B.

Last edited:

Whisp3r

ARC0001-P0004929-Melvinkobe-Photography.jpg

A peek at the old library in Gent, Belgium. Soft late afternoon light, hazy sun. Again, Arca Swiss RM3di, IQ4150, S-K 43XL. Shot at f/11, 1/50s, almost 20mm rise.
Learning Capture One is as much of a challenge as learning how to use the tech cam 🙃

Paul Spinnler

The 43XL is just killer for architectural photography. Is the top thing in the pillar right bent in practice - would be uncommon for 43 XL to have any distortion :)

f6cvalkyrie

In Western-Europe, the weather is in "full autumn" mode now : wind, rain, cold ... summer seems very far away ...
And the Azalea's in the front yard are suffering ... they will not be long living this year ...
So, I hurried to make a few pics, although it was raining and I hate to go out with the Phase One gear in the rain ...

Stay safe,
Rafael

Phase One DF - IQ 140 - Mamiya Macro 120/4 MF

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
This is something of a dual purpose post. When the Hasselblad X series lenses arrived, there was a unique offering - the XCD 21/4. There was nothing else in the medium format AF world like it. Fast forward to this past year, and the XCD 21 has disappeared (at least from B&H - it is still listed on Hasselblad's website) and the widest offering is the XCD 28P/4. The new lens is much smaller and lighter than the 21, so I've been using it a lot, but how much FoV have I been losing as a result?

This morning's early spring sunrise made for an easy and photogenic test. X2D XCD 28P f/8

And with the XCD 21, also at f/8

Answer: a lot.

Matt (I'm worried about that second big tree from the left in the bottom image. It has been losing limbs and I think it's dead. It will be a heavy blow to that symmetric group of five. )

Last edited:

drunkenspyder

This is something of a dual purpose post. When the Hasselblad X series lenses arrived, there was a unique offering - the XCD 21/4. There was nothing else in the medium format AF world like it. Fast forward to this past year, and the XCD 21 has disappeared (at least from B&H - it is still listed on Hasselblad's website) and the widest offering is the XCD 28P/4. The new lens is much smaller and lighter than the 21, so I've been using it a lot, but how much FoV have I been losing as a result?

This morning's early spring sunrise made for an easy and photogenic test. X2D XCD 28P f/8

And with the XCD 21, also at f/8

Answer: a lot.

Matt (I'm worried about that second big tree from the left in the bottom image. It has been losing limbs and I think it's dead. It will be a heavy blow to that symmetric group of five. )
Shooting that 21 was one of the things I loved about the X1D.