The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2024

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Opposite of Fun with MF Cameras. My X2D fired as it (and I) hit the ground. Lens shade and mounting plate got a bit scratched up. I'm gonna hurt a LOT tomorrow. That's what I get for abandoning Soup for a few days.

This is the kind of nonsense I was up to. XCD 90/3.2 in bad light. Should have taken a step to the left. Oh well. Mohonk Mountain House.

We now return you to this thread's wonderful photography.

Matt

Last edited:

jng

Opposite of Fun with MF Cameras. My X2D fired as it (and I) hit the ground. Lens shade and mounting plate got a bit scratched up. I'm gonna hurt a LOT tomorrow. That's what I get for abandoning Soup for a few days.

This is the kind of nonsense I was up to. XCD 90/3.2 in bad light. Should have taken a step to the left. Oh well. Mohonk Mountain House.

We now return you to this thread's wonderful photography.

Matt
Oh, no! Hopefully you managed to avoid the obvious water hazard and the biggest bruise was to your ego. Perhaps Soup can bring you a bowl of chicken soup to aid in the recovery?

John

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Oh, no! Hopefully you managed to avoid the obvious water hazard and the biggest bruise was to your ego. Perhaps Soup can bring you a bowl of chicken soup to aid in the recovery?

John
My god..... terrible. Nothing worse - I know from experience!! Hopefully it's insured.

Victor B.
Thanks guys. The couple I was with were asking if I was alright. I said “never mind me, how’s the camera!” Happily, we both escaped with only superficial injuries (I never lost my grip, so it didn’t hit very hard). The worst damage to the camera was, oddly enough, the battery. The groove where the locking pin rests was dented by the pin, so the battery was just a hair loose. Some pressing with another battery corrected the deformation enough so that everyone was happy. Oh, and my watch correctly identified the fall and I had to reassure it before it dialed 911.

Matt

Last edited:

lookbook

... to take your mind off the pain, perhaps you could calculate the speed at which you fell based on the exposure time and the marks on the film?
i hope you'll forgive me for this slightly malicious joke. : )

I wish you all the best, health, happiness and lots of good photos for 2024!

Uwe

Last edited:

dj may

Thanks guys. The couple I was with were asking if I was alright. I said “never mind me, how’s the camera!” Happily, we both escaped with only superficial injuries (I never lost my grip, so it didn’t hit very hard). The worst damage to the camera was, oddly enough, the battery. The groove where the locking pin rests was dented by the pin, so the battery was just a hair loose. Some pressing with another battery corrected the deformation enough so that everyone was happy. Oh, and my watch correctly identified the fall and I had to reassure it before it dialed 911.

Matt
Priorities!😄

lookbook

The Alpa TC with an X shutter wide-angle is amazing. It is no issue to focus if you just have it on infinity and f8; this is one of the best reasons to work with Alpa and beats the compactness of any other system, including Fuji. It is incredibly compact and light. TC and Max and you are fine.
... seriously Paul -
I like your camera too, but the ARCA Factum, for example, will be more compact!

The Fuji has a built-in sensor that you have to attach to the ALPA to compare compactness.
Don't forget the tripod with the appropriate ball head that you have to carry with you if you don't opt for the Fuji!
and a really good Cube weighs almost 1kg or more in addition to the tripod ...

Please don't compare fish with meat!

Uwe

lookbook

So Paul,

... I actually mixed up the TC and the STC.
I never had the TC on my mind because it's not a technical camera.

Nevertheless, I'm not sure whether it's possible to trigger a back without a tripod without vibration.
But I don't doubt it either!
I've never managed it myself.
Your shot above doesn't look very sharp, if I may say so.
It's also not set very large.

None of the four photos so far on this site look as blurred to me as yours!
My photo above is shot handheld with an older Fuji, with a varifocal lens that costs under €1000 new.
I bought both second hand for very cheap.
Size of the picture is set here 6000x8000? I think and I would be interested in your opinion on the technical quality.
The picture was taken by hand.

Uwe

lookbook

Of course it is sharp ... it is extremely sharp. The problem is you need an X-shutter which is not cheap, that's all. 100% crop. It is so sharp, I get borderline moiré. This is handheld, extremely compact, easy to trigger with the thumb. The best portable setup, IMHO.

Only reason it appears not sharp is because I export a small file and the server further compresses it. It is blisterlingly sharp edge to edge as I use the centre of the Digaron-40 with no shift. Its fantastic, truly.
... I'm glad I'm back here - I thought I'd already been made redundant! : )
Screenshot 2024-01-01 231943.jpg

Hello Paul

I don't see the sharpness in the detail either!
It lacks micro sharpness, which you should see in this detail Paul!

Look at the stone wall? that goes through the top of the crop. This is to the right of the sheep.
I assume it's a wall, but I'm not sure!

I don't want to upset you Paul, but I really hope it's blurred.
Otherwise there's something wrong with your equipment.
Or -
it's intellectual acuity that someone like me doesn't understand.
: )

Best regards

Uwe

P.S. I like your second photo here even better.
But the blurring is also clear here.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

... I'm glad I'm back here - I thought I'd already been made redundant! : )
View attachment 209396

Hello Paul

I don't see the sharpness in the detail either!
It lacks micro sharpness, which you should see in this detail Paul!

Look at the stone wall? that goes through the top of the crop. This is to the right of the sheep.
I assume it's a wall, but I'm not sure!

I don't want to upset you Paul, but I really hope it's blurred.
Otherwise there's something wrong with your equipment.
Or -
it's intellectual acuity that someone like me doesn't understand.
: )

Best regards

Uwe

P.S. I like your second photo here even better.
But the blurring is also clear here.
I can't help you if you don't see the sharpness in the crop.

The reason the pictures are blurry is because I upload small crops and then there's the server algorithm on top of the compression level and then in a third step it gets resized to full screen depending on the end user's system.

All images are tack sharp – this is just a quick display of the imagery, nothing more here.

lookbook

... I don't think we're getting any further now Paul.
I would have liked it if there had been other requests to speak.

Deine Einwendungen ...
The reason the pictures are blurry is because I upload small crops and then there's the server algorithm on top of the compression level and then in a third step it gets resized to full screen depending on the end user's system.
... everyone else here could do the same, but they don't need to because you can't see this process in their pictures.

It might be a good idea to give one of the RAWs to a colleague you trust, who can then edit it and upload it here.
Maybe there is a difference after all.

Have a nice evening

Ray Harrison

Well, it's 2024, so to ring in the new year....
X2D, XCD 45/3.5, @f/4, 1/25 sec, ISO 6400

Matt
Soup is our “First Foot” in the 2024 thread. A worthy first-footer indeed. While he didn’t bring a bottle of whisky as a traditional gift, I suggest he can be forgiven the oversight and that all the luck he bestows will be all that matters.

If I sound completely insane, “first footing” is a Hogmanay /New Year’s tradition in Scotland, and probably elsewhere, where the first guest that passes your threshold after midnight of the new year sets the tone for the other 364 days. Your year goes much, much better if they bring whisky or cake too :D .

EDIT: Got rid of the "e" in whisk[e]y for proper reference :) .

Last edited: