The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

85mm Summarex

jonoslack

Woody!
What a beautiful thing (I want it)
Great photos too
all those aperture blades as well.

The hunt starts here!

Nice to see that your M8 actually looks like it's been used as well!

helenhill

WOODY: Truly a beauty...but very HEAVY
Charles let me try his this past July when we had the GETDPI meet up
I had know idea re: minimum focus distance of 6ft
so I was NOT spot on
but I do love the oof
here is a shot in my brief encounter at Lunch

Last edited:

woodyspedden

Woody, may I know how long the Summarex was at the workshop for the servicing?

Thanks,

Stephen
Stephen

Sorry for my procrastination. No excuses!

The lens was with John for about six weeks. The reason for the longish time was that one of the elements needed to be re-lapped and then re-coated. This took the longest time to accomplish. The lapping of the brass focus helicoid was done directly by John and he did it in jig time. The lens now focuses with the best of them.

I have recently recovered my 75 Lux and plan to take identical images from it and the Summarex to compare the results. Initial testing looks like the Summarex has a lot of the classic Leica "glow" and the Lux has a different color rendition (read better!). I will post both black and white and color images so you can judge for yourself! I must say that I am falling in love with the drawing of the older lenses (which means I apparently like spherical abberations LOL). I probably should have known since I love the drawing of the Summarits!

If anyone wants to view particular types of images with the Summarex and the Lux please let me know and I will try to accomodate.

Best

Woody

bensonga

more Summarex tests.

•1 The dog, f 1,5
That's not just "The dog" is it? If I'm not mistaken, that's a Cairn Terrier! Or could it be a Norwich? :thumbs:

Love those terriers....my Bonnie is 2 years old now. She's a real terrier(ist), full of spunk and attitude. :)

Oh yes....beautiful looking Leica lens too!

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Hacker

Thanks Woody. The signature is very apparent, like the Summar. Hmmm, I never considered the Summarex nor the Thambar until now. But seeing the posts here, I may have to seriously reconsider getting one. Two were offered on eBay complete with hood and in Mint- condition but there were no takers.

Tempting.... :eek:

Stephen

Sorry for my procrastination. No excuses!

The lens was with John for about six weeks. The reason for the longish time was that one of the elements needed to be re-lapped and then re-coated. This took the longest time to accomplish. The lapping of the brass focus helicoid was done directly by John and he did it in jig time. The lens now focuses with the best of them.

I have recently recovered my 75 Lux and plan to take identical images from it and the Summarex to compare the results. Initial testing looks like the Summarex has a lot of the classic Leica "glow" and the Lux has a different color rendition (read better!). I will post both black and white and color images so you can judge for yourself! I must say that I am falling in love with the drawing of the older lenses (which means I apparently like spherical abberations LOL). I probably should have known since I love the drawing of the Summarits!

If anyone wants to view particular types of images with the Summarex and the Lux please let me know and I will try to accomodate.

Best

Woody

Bébèrt

Hello Gary Benson,

it is indeed a Norwich Terrier, called Bill (short for Billy) and is 6 years old,
shot with a 56 year old lens.

rweissman

Having recently acquired a 75 Lux (1.4) I'd be very curious to compare the two lenses, as a previous poster suggested, mostly in the 1.4/1.5 - 2.8 range.

kdemas

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned they wanted to see something from a 73mm Hektor, below are a couple shots. I also have a Summarex, the Hektor is lower contrast to my eye.

Kent

woodyspedden

Kent

I agree with your early conclusions. The Hektor (as displayed by Jack Flesher as well) is a really nice lens, lower conrast etc. The Summarex had more micro contrast and (perhaps) lower overall contrast as well.

Personally i love the look of the Summarex with the additional micro contrast and hopefully all will see the differences.

Whatever, all of these lenses are very special, as is the Konica Hexanon 50 1.2 which has a very special signture in my HMO. The OOF areas are better than many if not most of the very fast lenses. It is very subjective so your choice.

Woody

kdemas

Woody,

Well said. Truth be told I haven't spent enough time shooting with my Summarex so I have only a limited experience to draw from. One thing I did notice was it was one of my more difficult lenses to focus.

Both are great, the Summarex is a "supermodel" in appearance as well. What an elegant design.

Kent

Kent

I agree with your early conclusions. The Hektor (as displayed by Jack Flesher as well) is a really nice lens, lower conrast etc. The Summarex had more micro contrast and (perhaps) lower overall contrast as well.

Personally i love the look of the Summarex with the additional micro contrast and hopefully all will see the differences.

Whatever, all of these lenses are very special, as is the Konica Hexanon 50 1.2 which has a very special signture in my HMO. The OOF areas are better than many if not most of the very fast lenses. It is very subjective so your choice.

Woody

gero

Woody, I find that when you take pictures against the sun the qualities of a lens show very differently than when you have it on your back. I like many times the old lenses against the sun and not many times with it behind.

(if this makes any sense)

I have a feeling that the 75 summilux has very good control of flair and the summarex not. (for better or worst)

The thing is that I am starting to like all the flaws of the older lenses.

Last edited:

woodyspedden

Woody, I find that when you take pictures against the sun the qualities of a lens show very differently than when you have it on your back. I like many times the old lenses against the sun and not many times with it behind.

(if this makes any sense)

I have a feeling that the 75 summilux has very good control of flair and the summarex not. (for better or worst)

The thing is that I am starting to like all the flaws of the older lenses.
Yes, I think this is probably true. Flare control, which is mostly a function of lens coatings, has truly improved with age. The 75 Lux (when compared with the 85 Summarex) will be much better in this regard. But you have to look at all the features which result in a particular drawing. if you have a good lens hood, and you are not shooting pretty much into the sun, which lens produces the look you want? I own, and will continue to own both and use them to their particular strengths/

woody