The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ageing photographers and the weight. Simplicate and add lightness.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
.. and thanks to this thread I now just ordered a F-Stop ICU Tiny Micro, which is half the size of the ICU small shallow.
To hold what? (Just curious - buying camera bag accessories requires no justification!)

anyone

.. the 907x, CFV100c, 45p, and the 90 3.2. I think that possibly "can" fit into half a ICU small shallow. It also seems a convenient size for my Leica M 5-lens-kit.

(And in my opinion you can never have enough camera bags or tripods!)

jng

.. the 907x, CFV100c, 45p, and the 90 3.2. I think that possibly "can" fit into half a ICU small shallow. It also seems a convenient size for my Leica M 5-lens-kit.

(And in my opinion you can never have enough camera bags or tripods!)
Lol, consider the favor returned: Motivated by your last post, I just did a few measurements to confirm that the micro ICU can take the 907-CFV w/55V mounted, one additional lens, and perhaps a spare battery. It seems that there’s one in my future. A photographer can’t have too many bags, after all…

John

JeffK

… real solution is for me to become a better photographer so I can take good shots with a pocket camera. Sigh. That one's not going to happen.
[/QUOTE]

there’s videos out there of popular photographers using inexpensive point and shoots. I even won a small community photo competition with one. Using an M just makes for a more enjoyable experience. Your eye sees the shot before the camera is in front of it.

cunim

The 3di/40 HR weighs 1.8 kg as opposed to 1.8 kg for the GFX/Leica and 2.4 kg for the GFX + GF110.
Does that weight include the DB? I always forget that detail, especially when pricing the system. :ROFLMAO:
[/QUOTE]
Quite right. Edits made.

Niddiot

The lack of IBIS on the 907X 100C is a killer. I am not getting sharp results reliably less than 1/90th with the 38mm. I haven't worked out why yet, driving me nuts. Sure the kit is tiny, lightweight, easy to pack etc and the IQ is amazing but I struggle with HH. But for this (which maybe user error) this will be my 80yr old kit I think for all the reasons you hint at. I just use higher ISO or a small tripod.

rdeloe

I have very few images in my catalogue that are made hand held with medium format. My GFX 100S has IBIS, but it's not a magic bullet for me. I really don't enjoy coming back from a shoot with a card full of mis-composed, slightly blurry 100 MP images.

One lens and a really good lightweight tripod that I don't mind carrying is a good compromise.

jng

The lack of IBIS on the 907X 100C is a killer. I am not getting sharp results reliably less than 1/90th with the 38mm. I haven't worked out why yet, driving me nuts. Sure the kit is tiny, lightweight, easy to pack etc and the IQ is amazing but I struggle with HH. But for this (which maybe user error) this will be my 80yr old kit I think for all the reasons you hint at. I just use higher ISO or a small tripod.
I feel your frustration on this! I've found that it helps to use the 907 as I did with the original Hasselblad 500 series body with waist level viewfinder: flip the LCD screen up at a 90 degree angle, and then hold the camera down by your waist, pulling it taut against the neck strap (this actually forced me to use a strap for the first time in many years). It's not fool proof, but this at least provides a way to stabilize the camera, as opposed to having it swinging around at arm's length. Hope this helps.

John

MGrayson

I have very few images in my catalogue that are made hand held with medium format. My GFX 100S has IBIS, but it's not a magic bullet for me. I really don't enjoy coming back from a shoot with a card full of mis-composed, slightly blurry 100 MP images.

One lens and a really good lightweight tripod that I don't mind carrying is a good compromise.
Rob,

What do you like in a light tripod? I'm good on the heavy end. At the really light end, the RRS 1-series punches above its weight - certainly worlds better than any of the ultra-compact tripods that have come out in the past few years. Maybe at the wide end that's enough, but it certainly isn't at medium to longer focal lengths. I'm having trouble finding something I like in the 2.5 to 4 pound range.

Matt

anyone

Rob,

What do you like in a light tripod? I'm good on the heavy end. At the really light end, the RRS 1-series punches above its weight - certainly worlds better than any of the ultra-compact tripods that have come out in the past few years. Maybe at the wide end that's enough, but it certainly isn't at medium to longer focal lengths. I'm having trouble finding something I like in the 2.5 to 4 pound range.

Matt
I tried out quite many lightweight tripods until I found what I was looking for: the Feisol CT-3332 is a low, but not too low tripod, perfect for waist-level shooting. I removed the center column and can shoot the Pentax 645 300mm savely with it. Another option is the Gitzo 0530. Both tripods compromise quite a bit on the shooting height, but not are not in the "stupid light" category (in the sense that they are lightweight, but not dysfunctional).

That said, when I don't mind the weight I choose a more sturdy tripod over a lightweight one.

scho

The Sigma DP2M is my light weight ultra high resolution goto camera. I am grateful to Sigma for creating the camera, but sad that they were not able to advance it in a timely fashion. I will be long gone by the time they have the FF version.

Last edited:

rdeloe

Rob,

Matt
For light duty I have a FLM CP30-L4 II with an Acra-Tech GP-SS ball head. It's light but sturdy and easily holds my GFX 100S plus lenses in the ~500 gram range. It folds down to a nice compact size.

rdeloe

Alas, nobody is going to build the ultra-light outfit that I want. But I can dream. I was briefly excited by the Arca-Swiss Pico, but the weight isn't that far off my F-Universalis. What I really want is my MAB Camera, but built to the highest specifications. My MAB Camera weighs 850 grams and fits in a satchel. I did a lot of work with it, so it's not a toy. But it's hard to go back to it after using an F-Universalis.

MGrayson

For light duty I have a FLM CP30-L4 II with an Acra-Tech GP-SS ball head. It's light but sturdy and easily holds my GFX 100S plus lenses in the ~500 gram range. It folds down to a nice compact size.
Thanks, I ordered the shorter version. We'll see!

Pieter 12

For travel photos, I have given up and just use a smartphone. If the intent is a photo shoot, I will carry whatever is needed regardless of weight.

itsdoable

When I was younger (in my 20's~30's), I'd carry a backpack with a full P67 kit (body, prism, 4 lenses, tripod, etc) or a Technikaa70 (with 4 lenses, 3 backs, tripod) on long hikes, and think nothing of it. Well... it was heavy, but I was still enjoying myself. I think I was crazy.

I'm quite happy to go out with a single lens on a Hasselblad V with a film or digital back in a small Crumpler bag these days.

BFD

Ansel Adams said "Get the biggest tripod that your wife can carry." I suppose it could be applied to a camera kit, too.

ThdeDude

FLM CP30-L4 II with an Acra-Tech GP-SS ball head. It's light but sturdy ... folds down to a nice compact size.
This is also the tripod and tripod head I am using. No center column, but enough maximum height that the non-existing center column is not missed.