The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ageing photographers and the weight. Simplicate and add lightness.

ThdeDude

I installed the RRS leveler RRS TA-2u-LB on my CP 30 S4 -II seems to work pretty well with out a lot of extra weight
Dave
Yes, have been also thinking about the RRS TA-2U-LB Leveling Base. What has been your experience?

The advantage of the leveling base for use with a (heavy) technical camera is that there is less chance of a tipping the tripod since the camera can't fall into the 90 degree drop notch.

But I am not sure whether 40 degrees movement would be enough. Maybe a L-bracket if more is needed? Or simply use a different tripod head when, say, in a slot canyon or doing architectural work.

Last edited:

vjbelle

I commented on using a leveling base for stability in the 'Tripod and Head' thread but to repeat it is the 'Strength' of the leveling base that is most important to me. Absolutely nothing moves when the base is tight. I can have an AS M-Two tripod mounted on my shoulder and it will never move. I certainly don't take hikes that way but short walks are much more convenient if everything doesn't have to be broken down. If I need more movement than the base can provide a tripod leg shortened a little always does the trick. Along with the RRS leveling base I also have the Kirk which is easily as nice. I use them with the RRS PC-Pro panning clamp.

Victor B.IMG_3927.jpg

Last edited:

ThdeDude

... I switched down a size to a Fuji X-T2. ...
Me jumping in here.

I have a philosophical issue with the use of the word "down" when moving to a smaller sensor size or with "up" when moving to a larger sensor size. Generally also somewhat negatively or positively, respectively, associated.

I see it more "horses for courses" than "up" or "down".

Would be nice if Fuji would also offer shift/tilt lenses for their X line.

Last edited:

ThdeDude

... it is the 'Strength' of the leveling base that is most important to me. Absolutely nothing moves when the base is tight. ... If I need more movement than the base can provide a tripod leg shortened a little always does the trick. ...
Thx for the reply. RRS TA-2U-LB Leveling Base is ordered.

rdeloe

Me jumping in here.

I have a philosophical issue with the use of the word "down" when moving to a smaller sensor size or with "up" when moving to a larger sensor size. Generally also somewhat negatively or positively, respectively, associated.

I see it more "horses for courses" than "up" or "down".

Would be nice if Fuji would also offer shift/tilt lenses for their X line.
I hear you, but it's "down" as in "down a size". There's no implied negative connotation.

This morning I was looking at some of the work I did with that X-T2 and a tilt-shift adapter with Olympus OM lenses. Objectively, I think it's still some of the best work I've done with any format (film, digital, large format, small formats). Wider than 24mm was always the problem. There are more interesting options now that can be adapted for use as tilt-shift lenses with APS-C sensors, such as the lenses from Laowa.

ThdeDude

... If I need more movement than the base can provide a tripod leg shortened a little always does the trick.
And of course if the tripod has the option of different tripod angles, this gives another option for more movement. Did not think of that before.

vjbelle

A critical part of my simple head setup is the RRS PC-Pro panning head. I only have one place where there can be any lateral movement and that is the tilting mechanism which is extremely strong. The whole thing weighs 633g which is fairly light.

Victor B.

dave massolo

Yes, have been also thinking about the RRS TA-2U-LB Leveling Base. What has been your experience?

The advantage of the leveling base for use with a (heavy) technical camera is that there is less chance of a tipping the tripod since the camera can't fall into the 90 degree drop notch.

But I am not sure whether 40 degrees movement would be enough. Maybe a L-bracket if more is needed? Or simply use a different tripod head when, say, in a slot canyon or doing architectural work.
Hi I think with using a tech camera with a leveling base that can sit in the tripod collar would be a more secure choice.