The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

BackPack for 8x10 - F-Stop ?

gmfotografie

Does anybody have used a F-Stop Backpack for 8x10 LF ?
Which Size will be good enough... Tilopa?

THX

Last edited:

anyone

I am not sure any of the fstop backpacks is ideal. I own two of them (Sukha and Tilopa), and to my taste their back access is too small for large cameras. Besides that, the backpacks are well made and nice to carry. With a tele master ICU, you can use the top access. Maybe that is an option.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I used a large Tenba back in the day. It was pretty massive, but in it I could get my 8x10 cam folded with with film holder inserted -- I made a compartment for it by bending a long divider into a square and forming it in the bottom left, then three or four lenses on boards fit down the right side, and then dark cloth, loupe, meter and filters along the top rows. It had a rear zip pocket that was large enough to comfortably hold a couple more film holders; IIRC I could just get 3 in if I nested them carefully.

Shashin

I might suggest finding a hiking/climbing pack with a good suspension system that will fit your gear and than use inserts to protect it. I find climbing gear is more comfortable, lighter, and less sweaty than photo-specific bags. There is also more choice. And the inserts will last forever, so you can use them with lots of bags.

Reactions: med

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I did the internal frame backpack route. Worked very well comfort-wise and great for longer treks, but each piece of kit had to separately wrapped, so set-up took longer.

End of day, the big f-64 bag is almost identical to the modified Tenba I mentioned above — that’s the route I’d go unless you plan on more than 5 mile hikes — then the proper backpack is king

UliM.

I'v excellent experience with my F-Stop Shinn with the Cine Master ICU - takes my Canham 810 alternatively my Deardorff 810 easily, together with 4 lenses and some film holders in the front compartment. All together not lightweight but very good useable...
Always would by this combo again.
Best regards, Ulrich

DanielDuarte

Look at HILL PEOPLE GEAR... they make a frame called the Decker Pack Frame.
I have this, it’s made to haul 300 lbs of elk meat. It’s a customizable system and I’m having Stone Photo make a custom case for my Arca Swiss 8x10.

alicehughes63

Back in the day, I used a huge backpack. It was quite large, but I was able to fit my 8x10 camera folded with film holder in it. I made a compartment for it by bending a long divider into a square and forming it in the bottom left, then three or four lenses on boards fit down the right side, and dark cloth, loupe, meter, and filters fit along the top rows. It featured a back zip pocket wide enough to fit a couple extra film holders comfortably; IIRC, I could only get three in there if I stacked them neatly.

Last edited:

lookbook

... you can attach the photo equipment in normal photo bags very well on a "Lastenkraxe" and carry comfortably over longer distances.