The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best macro option for Nikon D850

Caumont

Hi everyone,

I use mainly the following combo for macro work : XF/IQ4-150/120mm BR or F-Line/IQ4-150/RS 120mm Macro (pink ring)

But for some jobs (when the client will use the photos online only) I prefer to use the Nikon D850 with the Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art. This lens is of course not a macro lens, but if I don't need to get to close, I found it remarkable. Sharpeness and contrast is very good. It has this "3D look" that I like.

I tried the previous Zeiss 100mm Macro, very quickly, and was not really satisfied (very contrasty).

Should I try a different sample (a Milvus one maybe) or do you recommend another model?

I tried the Nikon 105mm several times and found it a poor performer (quiet flat and soft).

I know the Nikon combo will never be as good as the Phase One but it must be a good macro lens out here no?

Thank you for your help,
Best,
Vincent

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My favorite macro for the Nikon back when I did product was the 85 PC-E -- it gets to about ½ life size on it's own, and then you can make 1x if you add a 2x TC (which it accepts) for a tilt/shift 170mm macro, a combo that was pretty sweet to use ;) (I actually used it with the 1.4x TC most often.) Today I am lazier, and simply add a quality 2-element diopter to my 70-200 zoom -- this combo works quite well and the zoom allows for convenient framing. Then I also have a couple e-tubes and the 1.4x and 2x TC's I can add to get even closer if needed.

Swissblad

My current macro workhorse is the Sigma 150mm f2.8 - I find the extended focal length ideal for subject isolation.
If I require less reach, I opt for either the Tamron 90mm macro or the Nikkor 60mm; both of which are excellent lenses.
The Nikkor (% PC_E, Jack mentioned is excellent, especially for table top product work. I can also vouch for the quality of Canons 2 element diopters.

Caumont

Thank you for your feedbacks!

@Jack, I did try a TC, the Sigma TC-2001, and was not impressed. Do you think I should try again with the TC made from Nikon?

Here is an example, the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 without the TC on the left and with on the right. 100% on the left (equivalent on the right).

As you can see the TC makes the image a little blurry and kills the contrast...

Zoom_equivalent_01.jpg

Zoom_equivalent_02.jpg

Last edited:

Caumont

@Jack I never tried the 85mm PC-E. I will look it up!
I used the 24mm PC-E a few time, but the lens seems a bit "out-of-date" when used with the D850. Just my opinion.

@Swissblad Good to know for the Sigma 150mm f/2.8!
For some reason, it's unavailable here in France.... But I've seen good reviews for another 150mm : IRIX 150MM F/2.8 MACRO

Did anyone tried it?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I only ever used Nikon TC’s with my 85 PC. Most portrait 85’s are not going to perform as well as macro designs when forced to focus close; similarly most dedicated macros don’t do as well when pushed to infinity focus.

Swissblad

The IRIX lens appears to be very good - is very reasonably prices - about 50% of the Sigma - but is manual focus - not helpful for my ageing eyes.......

The 85mm PC-E is a dedicated macro lens, and works very well with our Nikon 810. Note it is also manual focus - so ours get rarely used.

It is listed as being suitable for the D850, unlike the unlike the 24mm PC-E, which was released together withe the Nikon D3....... and which Nikon does not recommend for high pixel cameras. I'm sure we'll see new mirrorless iterations of these much needed landscape/architecture lenses.

Darin Marcus

But I've seen good reviews for another 150mm : IRIX 150MM F/2.8 MACRO

Did anyone tried it?
I used the IRIX 150mm f/2.8 macro a few times, first on the D810, then on the Df - https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/irix-150mm-f-2-8-macro.65779/
It was pretty good on both, not sure how it will be on a D850 which has more pixels...

I was not interested in it for true macro photography, but more as a closeup lens that allows me to stay farther away from the subject than the Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G.
The IRIX is optimized for closer subjects, both in terms of IQ and focus ring throw. At longer distances it is a bit soft, and the MF ring also has a very short throw beyond close subjects. I hoped for a more general handheld usage, but due to these constrains I have not used it much since posting in that thread.

Caumont

I used the IRIX 150mm f/2.8 macro a few times, first on the D810, then on the Df - https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/irix-150mm-f-2-8-macro.65779/
It was pretty good on both, not sure how it will be on a D850 which has more pixels...

I was not interested in it for true macro photography, but more as a closeup lens that allows me to stay farther away from the subject than the Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G.
The IRIX is optimized for closer subjects, both in terms of IQ and focus ring throw. At longer distances it is a bit soft, and the MF ring also has a very short throw beyond close subjects. I hoped for a more general handheld usage, but due to these constrains I have not used it much since posting in that thread.
Thank you! Your review is very helpful (y)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The Tamron 90 macro newest verst version F017 is stellar optically and is of course AF. However it does NOT work on the Z cameras via FTZ in its current state of firmware, and there is no information from Tamron that they have any plans to update it anytime soon...

Swissblad

The Tamron 90 macro newest verst version F017 is stellar optically and is of course AF. However it does NOT work on the Z cameras via FTZ in its current state of firmware, and there is no information from Tamron that they have any plans to update it anytime soon...
That's one reason I've not made the switch to a Z system MILC yet....worried about using my Tamron and Sigma lenses :(

Thorkil

in copying some Velvia 120 diafilm the Tamron 90 (F017) clearly out resolved the Zeiss Milvus 100 f2 macro planar. The Zeiss though has some other high qualitys considering colour reproduction and bokeh.
It was done with the Z7, with the annyoying behavier even on manual focus, but on a D850 it ought to be splendid. But if no need for the absolute razor sharpness, and if in a strong need for exquisite colorproduction and buttersmooth bokeh, the Zeiss might be the way to go...but then quality will cost you.
But it could be really nice if Tamron would get the promised update for the F017 done for the Z's.

jduncan

Hi everyone,

I use mainly the following combo for macro work : XF/IQ4-150/120mm BR or F-Line/IQ4-150/RS 120mm Macro (pink ring)

But for some jobs (when the client will use the photos online only) I prefer to use the Nikon D850 with the Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art. This lens is of course not a macro lens, but if I don't need to get to close, I found it remarkable. Sharpeness and contrast is very good. It has this "3D look" that I like.

I tried the previous Zeiss 100mm Macro, very quickly, and was not really satisfied (very contrasty).

Should I try a different sample (a Milvus one maybe) or do you recommend another model?

I tried the Nikon 105mm several times and found it a poor performer (quiet flat and soft).

I know the Nikon combo will never be as good as the Phase One but it must be a good macro lens out here no?

Thank you for your help,
Best,
Vincent
Hi,

Not saying they are the best, but interesting options. One is the Tamron. 90mm it's pretty good, and you have multiple generations to check.
The other one is more an unique kind of lens, that could give you and advantage: The 200mm f4.0 macro. If you do a lot of insects or something like that, it could prove to be a pretty nice addition. It's already discontinued, but maybe you can find one in good condition.

Best regards,